Keep yourself informed!
Oct 20th, 2009, 3:35 am
I would consider this, knowing how often I'm on this site, but for two weeks now I've not had any luck with RS VIP links. Always says server not available. Mega works fine, but I've had to scuttle being a VIP and use the slow ass regular RS link to download. I'm also not interested what so ever in web space or an email account, I have my own web server so don't need any of that. Is there an "opt out" for us who just want to be Platinum for the download/uploads? I participate almost daily on the forums, so am here all the time. Maybe some warez $$$ in trade for the option of email and stuff??? Not that I do anything with $$ but donate it to people....lol
Oct 20th, 2009, 3:35 am

GPS & eBook Mod

TomTom XXL540TM, TomTom Via 1535TM, Garmin nuvi 1250TM, Mio c310x
HTC HD2, HTC Inspire 4g, Kindle 3g, Augen 7X, iPad s2, Galaxy S3
Oct 20th, 2009, 5:06 am
PsychoNut wrote:I would consider this, knowing how often I'm on this site, but for two weeks now I've not had any luck with RS VIP links. Always says server not available. Mega works fine, but I've had to scuttle being a VIP and use the slow ass regular RS link to download. I'm also not interested what so ever in web space or an email account, I have my own web server so don't need any of that. Is there an "opt out" for us who just want to be Platinum for the download/uploads? I participate almost daily on the forums, so am here all the time. Maybe some warez $$$ in trade for the option of email and stuff??? Not that I do anything with $$ but donate it to people....lol

A majority of the people who donate don't do it for what they get in return, they do it to help the site. We run solely on donations and the shortfalls are made up by lifehacker. We refuse to put ads on the site to generate income like every other site. If we could offer everything we currently do for free, without asking for donations, we would.

I have been updating the thread regarding the RS accounts in the VIP lounge on a regular basis, the problem is it works fine for some, and not for others so it's difficult to gauge what the actual problem is. The job of maintaining the scripts is a part-time, best-effort job by myself which is why the problem isn't being resolved quicker. If we charged a monthly fee for use of the accounts it'd be fixed a lot quicker as it would be costing you, but as it stands we only ask for a one off payment in return for ongoing use of the accounts so other fixes take priority.

As for trading in services in return for a discount, if you work out the cost of the RS accounts alone (roughly 72 euro a year per person who use their capacity every day) is more than the minimum donation to become a platinum VIP. This is one of the only services which have an ongoing cost for us above the cost of our servers.

I hope this clarifies things for you.
Oct 20th, 2009, 5:06 am
Oct 22nd, 2009, 2:15 am
You don't need to explain the donations scheme to me. I've been a member here for a long long time and planning on being one for longer. You misinterpret my statements - the point I was getting at is if I donate $10, I become VIP member, if I donate $80, I become VIP member. Other than the word Platinum, I don't see what the draw is to push me to donate more. Hey, I understand your predicament, I've got my own web server and am in exactly the same spot - the cost of setup, domain registration, server maintenance, software updates, script development, maintaining the forums, etc., generally comes out of the pockets of geeks like me who really enjoy doing it, but once it becomes an aggravation, the enjoyment wanes rather rapidly. I've got a set of forums now that I just can't spend time on as I just don't have the time or the interest any longer. They are still on my server, but they have to do their own maintenance, as I've just turned it over to the group, created their own web account on the server and partitioned it off so it doesn't interfere with my business.

So my question, in a nutshell (jeesh, I shouldn't use terms like that, people already believe I'm nuts), is if I do donate, what makes me stand out from the rest of the crowd? What enticement is there? I just can't see access to the RS accounts as an enticement as they don't work for me now, why would they in the future? Get my point?!? I'm ready to push the paypal button and donate that $80, but being a logical, primitive computer geek, I want to know what that $80 does for me in return. I understand totally what it does for you guys..
Oct 22nd, 2009, 2:15 am

GPS & eBook Mod

Oct 22nd, 2009, 6:04 am
I think I do need to explain the donations scheme to you because a donation is a voluntary payment, however you're looking at it like it's a fee or subscription.

There is currently no difference in the way RS requests are handled with VIP and Platinum VIP. You do however get access to both RS.com and Megaupload, for as long we can provide them, for a single payment. Currently the RS mod isn't working, but this has only been for the last couple of weeks because there have been other major issues to fix. When it was working fine you and me both know how much you downloaded via the mod, and you have more than got your previous donations worth. When it broke and there were no other issues it was usually fixed pretty quickly also.

As I have previously said, we're asking people to help out the site. It should be about helping one of your favorite sites continue doing what they do rather than what you will get in return. Every other site you go to like us is plastered with ads, we're not, that's one of the reason's we're the largest but it also means we rely heavily on donations. We're not asking people to buy services from us, if we were the model we're using is all wrong as we will end up not making a profit. We do however appreciate how much help it is when we do receive large donations and the perks we give for that are a recognition of this.

Long story short, because we're not selling services the list could change at any time which means in the future VIP or Platinum VIP may not even have access to premium accounts. If you want to look at it as a transaction nothing can be guaranteed in return for your donation other than the site will remain online longer than it would've without your donation.

I hope that clarifies it a bit further.
Oct 22nd, 2009, 6:04 am
Oct 22nd, 2009, 7:37 pm
As already stated in the opening post of this topic, the additional benefits for Platinum VIPs are: access to an http proxy run through ppcwarez's servers with no logs or cache, .ppcwarez.org subdomain with webspace and a @ppcwarez.org email, the option to clear all IP logs on the forum, have a custom title, name change, or PM limit increase. Though the latter set of benefits is trivial, the first offer especially is a rewarding one. Good, safe proxy services are expensive. Especially one that we intend to offer you for life.

These offers are key to some, and immaterial to others. As sdawson already said, most people donate simply to support the site. To others its a combination of VIP benefits and the wish of helping the site. For others yet, the rapidshare accounts or other advantages are what led them to donate. The enticement you ask for is summarized on the first page of this topic, we have nothing more to offer. Its your choice and Im not going to stand here advertising the benefits. We leave the rest to you.
Oct 22nd, 2009, 7:37 pm

Support developers.
Oct 24th, 2009, 4:34 am
I also asked about volunteering to support in other ways, as a moderator or approver or whatever... anyway, guess you're right on the donations....lol...
Oct 24th, 2009, 4:34 am

GPS & eBook Mod

Oct 24th, 2009, 4:59 pm
I am a Platinum member and I cannot make any new posts.

What do I need to do in order to create a "new" post/topic ?

Thanks
Oct 24th, 2009, 4:59 pm
Oct 25th, 2009, 6:21 am
pratzert wrote:I am a Platinum member and I cannot make any new posts.

What do I need to do in order to create a "new" post/topic ?

Thanks

Do you mean create topics in the release sections. You cant post in the categories, you have to post in one of the general release sections (for ex you cant post in System Utilities, you have to post in Software Releases and your topic will be moved once a moderator checks it).
Oct 25th, 2009, 6:21 am

Support developers.
Oct 27th, 2009, 2:42 am
My name is Psychonut, and I'm an alcoholic...wait, wait, wrong meeting....lol...
Oct 27th, 2009, 2:42 am

GPS & eBook Mod

Oct 30th, 2009, 1:38 pm
Hi lifehacker.
I would like to give my sincere thanks to you for providing such a valuable information regarding the mail accounts. I am looking forward for a platinium account as it gots lots of previledges.
Thanks for your post and stay connect.
Oct 30th, 2009, 1:38 pm

Nov 4th, 2009, 12:47 pm
If I remember correctly, HG/SS will have that secret Rotom room accesible without an event. But as for Platinum, we may be seeing the events roll around again, but again, Im not sure. I havent lookedfor event info in a while...
Nov 4th, 2009, 12:47 pm
Nov 4th, 2009, 5:11 pm
Oxydaynancy wrote:If I remember correctly, HG/SS will have that secret Rotom room accesible without an event. But as for Platinum, we may be seeing the events roll around again, but again, Im not sure. I havent lookedfor event info in a while...

What are you talking about?
Nov 4th, 2009, 5:11 pm

Support developers.
Nov 6th, 2009, 10:10 pm
Very tempting...the date part, I mean. =P
Nov 6th, 2009, 10:10 pm
Nov 13th, 2009, 12:35 am
Life and all... just did my $80 donation!!! For my favorite site, thanks for many years of fun and adventure!!!!

Conf from paypal = 28435316E4446613P
Nov 13th, 2009, 12:35 am

GPS & eBook Mod

Nov 16th, 2009, 7:44 am
sdawson wrote:
There is currently no difference in the way RS requests are handled with VIP and Platinum VIP. You do however get access to both RS.com and Megaupload, for as long we can provide them, for a single payment.

I have a question about the sentence in bold.
I tought that Platinum VIP had direct access to RS premium account as stated in the opening post, or has it been changed recently?
I'm asking this becouse I have some problems using the VIP download tool or any proxy in general (my download stops half way usually), so I was wondering if the situation would be better with Paltinum VIP access to the rapidshare accounts if it doesn't involve any tool/proxy.
Nov 16th, 2009, 7:44 am