Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules. Post count not affected.
Aug 9th, 2022, 5:51 am
I have an older version of the Kindle app on my older MacBook that won't update. I use that to get my books that I need to convert.
Aug 9th, 2022, 5:51 am
Aug 9th, 2022, 10:31 am
I'm referring to this part of the news link, "Amazon has announced that all of the modern Kindle e-readers will support the most popular ebook format in the world, EPUB. The company recently updated their Send to Kindle documentation and stated that it will add support for EPUB later this year. Send to Kindle will suspend the ability to load in MOBI, since it is an older file format and won’t support the newest Kindle features for documents. If you have MOBI books already on your Kindle, they will continue to be accessible. Amazon is also disabling to the ability to send AZW to the Kindle."

So, is conversion to epub necessary or is it automatic?
Aug 9th, 2022, 10:31 am
Aug 13th, 2022, 9:44 am
Hi gold2019,

you've misunderstood what Amazon are actually going to be doing/offering - as you're probably supposed to because while they wanted a big impact news release that gives the impression that they're finally moving forward and that the kindle would be less controlling and less like the iphone is from Apple. It's not. you'll be able to upload your epubs to via "Send To Kindle" as you already can with a lot of other file formats and they'll convert it to an AZW3 or another file format they own. They are as ever, overpriced corporate B*stards and want to keep their monopoly under control.

This article explains it properly and simply - the way 3/4 of the tech press massively failed to do initially!

https://gizmodo.com/amazon-kindle-e-rea ... 1848867278
Aug 13th, 2022, 9:44 am

"There's a Mr Grim at the door.....Something about Reaping....?"
Aug 13th, 2022, 2:23 pm
Dirtytrenchcoat wrote:Hi gold2019,

you've misunderstood what Amazon are actually going to be doing/offering - as you're probably supposed to because while they wanted a big impact news release that gives the impression that they're finally moving forward and that the kindle would be less controlling and less like the iphone is from Apple. It's not. you'll be able to upload your epubs to via "Send To Kindle" as you already can with a lot of other file formats and they'll convert it to an AZW3 or another file format they own. They are as ever, overpriced corporate B*stards and want to keep their monopoly under control.

This article explains it properly and simply - the way 3/4 of the tech press massively failed to do initially!

https://gizmodo.com/amazon-kindle-e-rea ... 1848867278

Sorry, I am not familiar with Kindle or Calibre. I was merely wondering whether this would enable me to save epub files on other sites without having to use Calibre or other conversion software. Normally, I read an ebook once so each time I buy it, it's a waste of money in a sense unless uhmm...hope you understand.

If there's any easy way to convert Kindle files, please advise. Whatever ebooks that I buy are bought via Amazon. And I want to put them up other sites but I can't because of DRM and conversion issue.
Aug 13th, 2022, 2:23 pm
Aug 21st, 2022, 5:27 am
You can send epubs to kindle with the send to kindle function, but no. the format Amazon uses will still be their kfx/azw3 format.
Aug 21st, 2022, 5:27 am
Aug 21st, 2022, 2:39 pm
grmchild wrote:You can send epubs to kindle with the send to kindle function, but no. the format Amazon uses will still be their kfx/azw3 format.

Yup, thank you. I got insight into what it is actually about after watching a good You Tube video on said topic.

Thanks to all those who replied. Cheers :D
Aug 21st, 2022, 2:39 pm
Aug 21st, 2022, 4:05 pm
Whilst my Kindle Paperwhite accepts ePub books using my email to Kindle, I find that the text is showing lots of erroneous characters. Searching on various forums suggested that changing the font could help. Alas it did not in my case.
Anyone else having this problem - and is there a fix for it please?
Aug 21st, 2022, 4:05 pm
Sep 22nd, 2022, 4:58 pm
This worked for me

Using Calibre:
Convert from epub to azw3
Delete epub in folder location
Convert from azw3 to epub
Send to kindle -> success!
Sep 22nd, 2022, 4:58 pm
Oct 4th, 2022, 3:56 pm
I actually completely forgot this happened until seeing this post now
Oct 4th, 2022, 3:56 pm