May 11th, 2023, 9:25 am
I bought myself the kindle 11, the cheapest model as far as I know. My Kobo Sage remains my no 1 ereader though.
However when you own one of the newer Kindles, it is still possible to download e-books, published and bought after 1 jan 2023, and save them as azw. The azw of course can be converted in Calibre.
May 11th, 2023, 9:25 am
May 18th, 2023, 5:26 am
I am pleased to report that I have had success in getting a March 2023 ebook from A****n into Calibre to convert it into other formats.
With considerable help from Anonyma'am I managed to do this following the "Master Process Kindle Android" PDF instructions bundled with the material from Mobileread.com
https://mega.nz/file/BFhhCIbb#fefj1kJ7gDbWkhwVEIYPG30yQbEBRNu5ioTZ6EDS9KE

You don't need a mobile device (phone or Kindle), just the Android emulation software on your Windows 10 PC. The process is not easy, but I did achieve success.
May 18th, 2023, 5:26 am

Please PM me if links are dead, and I will do my best to refresh them.
Jun 2nd, 2023, 4:51 pm
OK, I just figured out a way to get around the new Amazon DRM established in January of this year.

Get LDplayer 9

After you install it get the kindle app for it here

Launch the kindle app and register it using your amazon user name/e-mail and password.

Launch the kindle app and get your library to appear. left click on any book which will download it to the LDplayer 9 app.

To transfer those files to your PC, follow the instructions in this video for how to copy them to the "pictures" folder.

https://youtu.be/xKvKzAmz8OE

The location of the downloaded kindle files is Android/data/com.amazon.kindle/files

Put the prc file in Calbre with the KFX plugin and you can convert it.
Jun 2nd, 2023, 4:51 pm
Jun 3rd, 2023, 12:57 am
I like this! I chose LDPlayer 3 because I don't use this for games. It loads *much* faster than BlueStacks. The layout is much like BS, but the files show in list mode so you can see the extension. I haven't found a way for BS itself to do that; you need the tweaker. Another advantage is setting up a shared PC folder, which enables copying from within LDPlayer instead of the export function in BS.

Thanks, O_P_T!
Jun 3rd, 2023, 12:57 am

Use this. It's free. https://www.libraryextension.com/
A link to my family's fiction wishlist is posted in my profile.
Rules apply.
WRZ$20 each.
No PDFs, PDF conversions or archive.org scans (I can get those myself).
Jun 4th, 2023, 3:13 pm
This seems doable, I’m going to give this a go.
Jun 4th, 2023, 3:13 pm
Jun 6th, 2023, 10:23 am
Anonyma'am wrote:I like this! I chose LDPlayer 3 because I don't use this for games. It loads *much* faster than BlueStacks. The layout is much like BS, but the files show in list mode so you can see the extension. I haven't found a way for BS itself to do that; you need the tweaker. Another advantage is setting up a shared PC folder, which enables copying from within LDPlayer instead of the export function in BS.

Thanks, O_P_T!

Thank You works perfect but some files shows up as a PRC in calibre with a DRM message

Any suggestions?
Jun 6th, 2023, 10:23 am
Jun 7th, 2023, 12:14 am
YourView wrote:
Anonyma'am wrote:I like this! I chose LDPlayer 3 because I don't use this for games. It loads *much* faster than BlueStacks. The layout is much like BS, but the files show in list mode so you can see the extension. I haven't found a way for BS itself to do that; you need the tweaker. Another advantage is setting up a shared PC folder, which enables copying from within LDPlayer instead of the export function in BS.

Thanks, O_P_T!

Thank You works perfect but some files shows up as a PRC in calibre with a DRM message

Any suggestions?

That happened to me yesterday! I deleted the .prc from Calibre, checked that the device number(s) were OK in the plug-in, deleted the folder from BS, redownloaded the book, and added to Calibre. I don't know if all this was necessary, but it worked.

Edit: All this wasn't necessary. Edit the metadata in Calibre and note the ASIN (the last 4 digits should do). Close the book. Import the .prc with that ASIN again and say Yes when Calibre tells you it's duplicate. The new import should be OK. Delete the old prc book.
Jun 7th, 2023, 12:14 am
Last edited by Anonyma'am on Jun 15th, 2023, 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rules apply.
WRZ$20 each.
Jun 7th, 2023, 9:38 am
Anonyma'am wrote:
YourView wrote:

Thanks, O_P_T!

Any suggestions?

That happened to me yesterday! I deleted the .prc from Calibre, checked that the device number(s) were OK in the plug-in, deleted the folder from BS, redownloaded the book, and added to Calibre. I don't know if all this was necessary, but it worked.

I also have this problem with the LD Player, Bluestack is to complicated for me.

It seems that it is the old mobi files

Silly question...what is the device number(s) in the plug-in
Jun 7th, 2023, 9:38 am
Jun 7th, 2023, 10:14 am
Sorry, I misspoke. I meant the Kindle for Android key. :oops:
Jun 7th, 2023, 10:14 am

Rules apply.
WRZ$20 each.
Jun 11th, 2023, 7:56 am
Thank you all! That worked. *sigh*
Jun 11th, 2023, 7:56 am

Jun 11th, 2023, 5:14 pm
I am not really that great at computer stuff but does this work around work on ku books as well as books that are purchased from A?
Jun 11th, 2023, 5:14 pm
Jun 11th, 2023, 5:20 pm
I really hope so. I notice that requests for ku books - I have one pending viewtopic.php?f=72&t=5268580 - are not so easily fulfilled anymore like they used to.
Jun 11th, 2023, 5:20 pm
Jun 13th, 2023, 7:09 am
This has all been very helpful. But I've run into my first one that is still showing the DRM. Where do I look for this and how do I know if it's correct? *sigh* LOL

And sorry, I mean I know where to input it. I just don't know how to find the key...

Anonyma'am wrote:Sorry, I misspoke. I meant the Kindle for Android key. :oops:
Jun 13th, 2023, 7:09 am

Jun 13th, 2023, 7:43 am
I had this happen again with LDPlayer (the book showed as .prc in Calibre), so I went back to BS. Anyway, in Calibre, go to Preferences, Plugins, File Type, de-DRM. At the bottom of the window choose Customize, then Kindle for Android. Your keys should be there.

However, IIRC I did find that if I just went to Amazon, removed the book from the device, and sent it again, it imported fine.

I'm not an expert. I'm just passing along info. You can PM me, but your best source is still Mobileread.
Jun 13th, 2023, 7:43 am

Rules apply.
WRZ$20 each.