Mar 10th, 2024, 2:55 am
Scunzero wrote:A non-book aside:

I've just finished watching Phantom of the Paradise for the first time in a couple of decades or more and it's just as corny, but fun, as it was when I saw it in a local theatre in Brisbane 50 years ago in 1974. Does it make me feel old and nostalgic? Not in the slightest. You can't relive the past so why not accept aging and still keep the sense of wonder. Once you get caught in the nostalgia loop it can slowly take over and regret slides in and then you're lost.

My local movie theater shows older movies twice a week, and I like going to catch them. Some I'm watching again on the big screen (Spaceballs) and some I'm finally getting to see on the big screen for the first time (The Blues Brothers). A few have not aged well, but I've enjoyed the heck out of the rest. Especially the Mel Brooks movies and The Princess Bride. :)
Mar 10th, 2024, 2:55 am
Mar 10th, 2024, 5:09 am
Dendra wrote:
Scunzero wrote:A non-book aside:

I've just finished watching Phantom of the Paradise for the first time in a couple of decades or more and it's just as corny, but fun, as it was when I saw it in a local theatre in Brisbane 50 years ago in 1974. Does it make me feel old and nostalgic? Not in the slightest. You can't relive the past so why not accept aging and still keep the sense of wonder. Once you get caught in the nostalgia loop it can slowly take over and regret slides in and then you're lost.

My local movie theater shows older movies twice a week, and I like going to catch them. Some I'm watching again on the big screen (Spaceballs) and some I'm finally getting to see on the big screen for the first time (The Blues Brothers). A few have not aged well, but I've enjoyed the heck out of the rest. Especially the Mel Brooks movies and The Princess Bride. :)

We have two theatres in Launceston and all they show is the new stuff. Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein never grow old because good comedy and slapstick is timeless.
Mar 10th, 2024, 5:09 am
Apr 7th, 2024, 5:26 am
Personal movie review (sort of and very short): Dune, Part 2 is a bigger steaming pile of certain brown substances than the first part.
Apr 7th, 2024, 5:26 am
Apr 14th, 2024, 11:42 pm
Swastika Night by Katharine Burdekin (writing as Murray Constantine).
Apr 14th, 2024, 11:42 pm
Apr 25th, 2024, 12:31 am
Chalice, by Robin McKinley
Apr 25th, 2024, 12:31 am