Nov 20th, 2014, 6:15 pm

TITLE: Moon Called (Mercy Thompson #1)
AUTHOR: Patricia Briggs
GENRE: Urban Fantasy
PUBLISHED: 01/01/2006
RATING: ★★
PURCHASE LINKS: Amazon
MOBILISM LINK: Mobilism

Review: I read Moon Called for the first time when I was about fourteen or fifteen years old, and I was an instant addict. I read books one through six as they were released and loved them all.

Book six, River Marked, was published in 2011. Which happened to be the year I graduated high school, took off for Finland, and got married (within the same month). Suffice to say, I lost track of the series –– I bought the new books as they came out, because I was a loyal fan, but I never read them. This year, having completed my Goodreads challenge (BOO-YAH!) I decided to revisit Mercy and her world.

I am disappointed to say that it has not aged well.

For those of you who are somehow unaware of this series, a short summary: Mercedes 'Mercy' Thompson is a skinwalker, capable of transforming into a coyote at will. She is also a car mechanic (who has heard every permutation of that joke you're considering) who took over her garage from a gremlin, lives next door to a werewolf alpha, and regularly works on the car of Stefan the vampire.

(Not, we are pleased to note, Stefan of The Vampire Diaries, although he shares book!VD-Stefan's Italian heritage).

Mercy's world is almost identical to her own, except that the 'lesser fae' - that is, those members of faerie who are not too powerful or too frightening for humans to deal with - are out of the closet. All the other supernatural beasties are still on the downlow.

Moon Called begins when newly turned werewolf runaway Mac shows up on Mercy's doorstep asking for work. Although she knows it's a bad idea to get too close to a werewolf who can't control himself, Mercy can't turn him away and gives him the job. Which means she's in the thick of it when the people Mac was running from catch up to him. In the process, Adam, her werewolf neighbour, is badly wounded and his young daughter kidnapped. So begins a race to figure out who, what, and why before it all goes to Hell.

Not, alas, literally. That might actually have been interesting.

I will begin with my number one problem with this book (this world, in fact). Mercy repeatedly states that werewolf culture hasn't yet heard of women's rights; most werewolves are men, because fewer women are capable of surviving the change, and when they do, they can't have children. The ramifications of this include nearly every werewolf we meet bossing Mercy around because she is female and thus someone to be claimed in some way.

Can we get rid of this gods-damned trope already?

Look, I don't know where this idea that werewolves = men started, but I'm genuinely sick to death of it. It's a stupid, lazy set-up that makes no sense to begin with (what, you think women who've given birth can't take pain like a man can? Dream on) and even if we accept the (extremely dubious) proposition that women are physically weaker and thus die during the Change more often, that's no reason to have an unthinkingly misogynistic culture. Natural wolves have alpha pairs, after all, with the alpha female being just as important as the alpha male (we see this done to wonderful effect in Ilona Adrews' Kate Daniels series - THERE is a shapeshifter culture to be impressed with), whereas in Briggs' set-up females merely take their status from their mates––or else are automatically placed at the bottom of the pack hierarchy. I can't think of a single good reason for this, nor can I see how a society like this would evolve. Even the one 'alpha female' we meet in the series, the wife of the Marrock (high-alpha of the USA, don't you know) is overshadowed by her two stepsons –– so even the idea that females take their mate's status is pretty weak.

And let's be blunt here –– once a woman IS a werewolf, you cannot convince me that there is any basis for considering her less. Why are female werewolves automatically dumped to the bottom of the pack's hierarchy? At this point, they've completed the Change and can turn into giant wolves, are enormously strong, and have become basically immortal. They have the exact same abilities as a male werewolf. So what gives?

These are all issues I never even noticed the first time I read the book, but they jumped out at me pretty strongly on a reread. Lazy misogynism isn't something I can't ignore anymore, I'm afraid. Sorry-not-sorry.

Then there's the love interests: the control freak neighbour who keeps a photo of Mercy in his bedroom (can we say f***ing creepy!) and the ex who wanted to marry her (when she was 16!) for her uterus.

OH HOW NICE.

But wait, it gets worse.
“My father told me what he told you.” His voice started calmly enough, but there was a tinge of anger weaving itself through his words as he continued. “But you should have known all of that already. I didn’t hide anything.”

There was no defensiveness in his voice or in his posture; he really didn’t understand what he’d done to me—as stupid as that made him in my eyes. It was still good, somehow, to know that the hurt he’d caused me had been unintentional.

WAIT

WAIT

WHAT.

So, you don't understand that wooing a 16 year old girl solely so she can have your children is hurtful –– and you're still not apologising––but you're a love interest?

HOW?

Not to mention that Mercy is happy to know that the hurt was unintentional. OH YES, THAT MAKES IT ALL BETTER. Please continue to be oblivious to your returning attraction for him.

At least she thinks he's stupid. But seriously: what is this crap?

There are some good moments –– such as when Mercy holds off a crazed vampire with her lamb necklace (a lamb for Jesus, obviously)––but the actual plot, the question of who is behind the attack on Adam and what do strange drugs have to do with it, is simultaneously over complicated and boring. I had zero interest in finding out who was behind it all (and not because I remembered from previously reading the book, either –– I had no memory of it, because it is that unmemorable) and skipped pages of the characters talking over the clues and red herrings amongst themselves. Ultimately one of the most important who's is someone we never even meet on-screen (so to speak). That's just bad writing.

It's odd, because Mercy as a character seems very self-aware and often comments on the problematic elements of things like werewolf culture –– and yet Briggs doesn't seem to make the leap to 'this is stupid and not okay, so write something better.' And I'm not going over the idiocy of the love triangle thingy again.

All in all, I'm really sad that one of my favourite series turned out to be a misogynistic mess. It's always a risk, rereading a book you loved when you were younger –– you always end up finding a whole lot you never saw before. Books are like Disney movies that way. Only, with Disney movies, what you find are a lot of grown-up jokes you didn't catch as a kid. With books, sometimes you find an unabashed disaster where you once had something precious.
Nov 20th, 2014, 6:15 pm
Nov 22nd, 2014, 5:50 am
I just...I laughed my way through your review, I'm sorry it probably wasn't supposed to be funny. Anyway, great impassioned review!
Nov 22nd, 2014, 5:50 am

PLEASE! I AM NO LONGER ABLE TO RE-UP BOOKS!!!
Pls request in Request area and report so book can be re-released!
Nov 22nd, 2014, 7:59 am
Actually it WAS supposed to be funny, so I'm very happy you laughed! :D Thank you for the comment! ^^
Nov 22nd, 2014, 7:59 am
Nov 22nd, 2014, 4:18 pm
Oh okay whew. When I read this paragraph it was all over and I laughed the rest of the time.

Mercedes 'Mercy' Thompson is a skinwalker, capable of transforming into a coyote at will. She is also a car mechanic (who has heard every permutation of that joke you're considering) who took over her garage from a gremlin, lives next door to a werewolf alpha, and regularly works on the car of Stefan the vampire.

Great review
Nov 22nd, 2014, 4:18 pm
Nov 22nd, 2014, 5:52 pm
Thank you! I'm so glad you liked :D
Nov 22nd, 2014, 5:52 pm
Nov 26th, 2014, 4:19 pm
Brilliant, Sky! I have to say Mercy is still on my must snag list, but I don't immediately read it like I used to. I much prefer her Alpha/Omega series. The chick initially is all wussy, but eventually comes to a significant point of power.

:D
Nov 26th, 2014, 4:19 pm

I'm AFK at the moment, unable to refresh my links.

Feel free to request a new link for my posts in book requests!
Sep 11th, 2015, 6:14 am
I had the same experience as you. I read Mooncalled when I was in my twenties, loved it. But then after book 4 it no longer interests me. The plot became so melodramatic and hilariously weird for me.

Series have a way of doing that.
Sep 11th, 2015, 6:14 am
Sep 12th, 2015, 6:06 pm
I wanna give this one a shot since people are oozing over it.. ha.. hum.. but now my eyeball is twitching after reading your review. I so did not like alpha and omega ;/
Sep 12th, 2015, 6:06 pm
Sep 18th, 2015, 5:57 am
I love this damn series so much. I'm always drooling to get my hands on not only the newest book in this series but the audio-book to go along with it. There were a few times when I found the book before the audio-book, but either way I love Mercy and the werewolves and the drama in all the lives that are connected in some way to Mercy's life. And even though she's got no super strength, she kicks ass and doesn't let people walk all over her.
Sep 18th, 2015, 5:57 am

Dec 17th, 2015, 1:43 pm
Well I have read this book in my twenties (it was the 2006 or 2007, when it first come out and I had to wait a few months for the second book) also but unlike this review I still love this book and all the other ones in the series.
I still re-read them when I need something good to read and I still enjoy every part of it; no matter if I know Mercy adventures by heart, I still go all emotional in some parts and this is the thing that let me know that for me this is absolutely an amazing series!

The only book that I enjoy the least is River Marked, but probably it have more to do with the fact that 90% of the characters are new and so the story have a lot to do about discovering who they are and why and what etc.

I find this series refreshing and it made sense still, so much so that for me the last book (Night Broken) is on of the best. The story keep to be a solid one and I am another one of those readers that can't wait for the next book to come out.
Dec 17th, 2015, 1:43 pm
Jan 15th, 2016, 8:20 am
Hi
I'm a fan of Mercy because of the dialog and the slighty epic ends to each book, mostly I ignore certain annoying bits to a book if its better than reading nothing.
It's not as bad as some, for me at least, I prefer J.C Daniels ''Blade'' series tho to Iona Andrews one. It's similar , and gritty but easier to read, rather dark a few books in.
If you want an epic heroine that is deadly check out either:
Chloe Neill - Chicagoland vampires (added mystery after the para)
or
Jennifer Estep - Elemental Assassin series (kickass)

Both are long series tho, and you may prefer a more book by book thing maybe in a series but covering different characters each like Alanea Alder - bewitched and bewildered series but it's lighter and funny with geeky reverences.

(all of at the top are more were or vamp oriented, others I would recommend that are smaller or witchy are :
Deborah Harkness - all souls trilogy - Finished *
Lanie Jordan - Breed Chronicles - Ongoing (slow to release) [syfy'ish]
Gail Carriger - Finishing School - Finished /4 books *
Christopher Nuttall - Schooled in Magic series - Ongoing - (long) *

** all of these have a more extensive world building, and certain archaic views that the heroines try to change, or rebel against in some way.
the 'all souls' is the most mature in terms of the characters age, but more romantic from the beginning. )
Jan 15th, 2016, 8:20 am
Jan 15th, 2016, 9:20 am
I don't really have much to say in response to this since most of the books you mentioned bored me and I never finished them or got past book one of the series, but the All Souls trilogy rapidly descends into a seriously fucked-up romance (he threatens to kill her if she leaves him, that's not romantic it's deeply, deeply alarming). Book three turned into a scorpion in my hand, it was awful. Also just appallingly badly written, honestly - book three that is, I enjoyed book one quite a bit.
Jan 15th, 2016, 9:20 am
Feb 17th, 2016, 8:55 pm
Yess! Finally someone else noted the truly messed up plot-line!!! Why is he even a contender?!! And I freakin' hate the entire status part as well. Entirely too subjugating for me.
Read the Deborah Harkness series, fell asleep through the second one. Chicagoland vampire series was good till the 4th, 5th book but then she kept on stretching it.
Feb 17th, 2016, 8:55 pm
Feb 26th, 2016, 6:57 pm
skydancer8 wrote:Then there's the love interests: the control freak neighbour who keeps a photo of Mercy in his bedroom (can we say f***ing creepy!) and the ex who wanted to marry her (when she was 16!) for her uterus.

OH HOW NICE.

But wait, it gets worse.
“My father told me what he told you.” His voice started calmly enough, but there was a tinge of anger weaving itself through his words as he continued. “But you should have known all of that already. I didn’t hide anything.”/quote]

You should read the rest of the books for these things are explained. Yes Adam has her photo in the bedroom, but to protect her from his pack he had to claim her as his mate, which she thought was only in word. Well it was not.
As for Samuel he is old, almost old as his father, in his time women were married because they could give you children and to cook, clean etc. Did you know that in the middle ages the lowest age for marriage was 12?
I've also reread the whole series, but I didn't find it lacking like you even though it has been 6 year since I've started to follow the series.
Feb 26th, 2016, 6:57 pm
Apr 21st, 2016, 8:18 am
Man! I read that book a couple of years back and one word- <i>DISASTER!</i>
Wasn't sure if I should read the other books. But after I read the reviews stating a serious love triangle throughout the next two books, I gave up.

Thought I liked the first books in the Alpha and Omega series by Patricia Briggs.

PS: Great review. You stated all the fckups in the book! :D
Apr 21st, 2016, 8:18 am