Nov 19th, 2013, 5:50 am
Can anybody tell me the difference between the two?
Nov 19th, 2013, 5:50 am
Nov 30th, 2013, 7:18 pm
I think New Adult is similar to YA but the subject matter is a little bit more mature.. Like maybe in a New Adult genre the character would be the same age as the characters in YA but the issues they deal with and face are more "grown up" than in YA. For instance maybe they are struggling with identifying their sexuality or making career choices. Some examples would be a lot of books by Ellen Hopkins and Beautiful Disaster by NOT ALLOWED.
Nov 30th, 2013, 7:18 pm

Only the weak minded refuse to be influenced by literature
Dec 17th, 2013, 7:38 am
Most people associate New Adult with college and Young Adult with high school (that is, as per the protagonist's age). As rachaelleex3 says, New Adult usually deals with more mature content.
Dec 17th, 2013, 7:38 am
Dec 22nd, 2013, 4:01 am
Here in Australia the trend of YA is towards younger readers and we now have the title of Crossover for books that blend the YA readership into Adult.
Dec 22nd, 2013, 4:01 am
Jan 28th, 2014, 8:52 am
Most of the New Adult books I have read are a lot steamier in the romance department.
Jan 28th, 2014, 8:52 am

Sheri
Jan 29th, 2014, 1:15 am
Some would say I'm too old to be reading YA books so maybe New Adult books would be more suitable for me? Does anyone have any suggestions on good New Adult books?
Jan 29th, 2014, 1:15 am

Only the weak minded refuse to be influenced by literature
Jan 29th, 2014, 3:07 pm
As I quoted from Goodreads,
New Adult fiction bridges the gap between Young Adult and Adult genres. It typically features protagonists between the ages of 18 and 26. Themes in YA stories often focus on the challenges of youth, so much so that the entire age category is sometimes referred to as problem novels or coming of age novel.

I read Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell and as for me, it could be categorized as YA though the protagonist is just accepted in college (18 yo), the problem is more to coming of age novel, also the romance department is not explicit or even near steamy. But in Goodreads it listed as NA. I guess whichever the genre (YA or NA), it doesn't necessarily matter if you enjoy the book :)

Some would say I'm too old to be reading YA books so maybe New Adult books would be more suitable for me? Does anyone have any suggestions on good New Adult books?

You can try J.A. Redmerski, NOT ALLOWED, Tamara Webber. Their books are categorized as NA. But I'll recommend you Tangled by Emma Chase (this is my all time favorite!), Real by Katy Evans, On Dublin Street by Samantha Young, and Bully by Penelope Douglas (this is also my favorite).
Jan 29th, 2014, 3:07 pm

Cheers.

P.S. Hugefiles links were gone. PM me if you need re-up.
Nov 6th, 2014, 6:18 am
Check out What If by Rebecca Donovan.
What if you had a second chance to meet someone for the first time? Cal Logan is shocked to see Nicole Bentley sitting across from him at a coffee shop thousands of miles from their hometown. After all, no one has seen or heard from her since they graduated over a year ago. Except this girl isn't Nicole. She looks exactly like Cal's shy childhood crush, but her name is Nyelle Preston and she has no idea who he is. This girl is impulsive and daring, her passion for life infectious. The complete opposite of Nicole. Cal finds himself utterly fascinated-and falling hard. But Nyelle is also extremely secretive. And the closer he comes to finding out what she's hiding, the less he wants to know. One thing becomes clear: Nothing is what it seems.

It's more mystery than romance.

viewtopic.php?f=1292&t=888610
Nov 6th, 2014, 6:18 am
Nov 16th, 2014, 3:30 pm
New adult novels may deal with explicit sex/violence/pregnancy, where the protagonists are between 18-25. Young adult novels are generally written for teenagers, but hey! It's just a genre, you can read absolutely whatever you want, rachaelleex3.
Nov 16th, 2014, 3:30 pm

"Am thinking of aurochs and angels, the secret of durable pigments, prophetic sonnets, the refuge of art. And this is the only immortality you and I may share, my Lolita."
Nov 24th, 2014, 12:10 am
You're never to old to read any genre. I find myself reading a few middle-grade books simple because I blurb intrigued me. There is no shame in reading a book not specifically geared towards your age group.
Nov 24th, 2014, 12:10 am
Dec 14th, 2014, 5:59 am
I had never heard of "new adult"... huh, you learn something new everyday. :)
Dec 14th, 2014, 5:59 am

Hurricane At The Sea (1850) - Ivan Aivazovsky
LUCAS
Jan 9th, 2018, 4:56 am
I've never heard of new adult before..this was cool, thanks!
Jan 9th, 2018, 4:56 am
May 24th, 2018, 8:43 pm
As someone that has both a "young adult" and a "new adult" child (children), the difference is sexual content.
The YA is more geared towards jr high, and high school whereas, NA is more geared towards College or more adult content in high school, or adult situations.
I have an almost 14 yr old, and a 19 yr old.. and that is the description I get from them... plus, I have read every book they have. It's our agreement.
May 24th, 2018, 8:43 pm

“If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all.”
― Oscar Wilde
Aug 3rd, 2018, 3:39 pm
I still re-read Robin McKinley regularly. I don't care that my three favorite books by her are classified as YA - they are darn good stories that pull me in every time.

See: Chalice, The Hero and the Crown, The Blue Sword
Aug 3rd, 2018, 3:39 pm