Guides for Windows
Jan 3rd, 2013, 5:29 pm
In this simple tutorial, I'll be introducing a trick to get phone updates earlier. (Maybe WP7.8?)

Sometimes, when the manufacturers have already released the update in some countries, you may feel left out and the wait for it to be available in your country/region may be irritating as it can take up to a few months before you may get it.

This does not work all the time, depending on the type of update the manufacturers seed out, especially if it's region specific.

So let's begin.

1. Plug your phone into your PC and start Zune.

2. Click on the phone icon.

3. On the top right hand corner, click the word "settings"

4. On the left hand panel, click "update"

5. On the right side of the screen, you will see something like "Checking for updates" followed by a red zune progress bar.

6. Here comes the trick, when the progress bar is about 50%-80% full, disconnect your internet connection, either by turning off your wireless adapter or plugging out the ethernet cable(recommended).

7. Leave the internet connection off until the screen changes. If you do it right, you may get an update notification notifying you of a new update being available for your phone(even though you normally would not get it)

8. Restore your internet connection and proceed with the update.

FAQ:
Q: I keep getting some error about "no internet connection" when plugging out the cable.
A: You probably disconnected too early. Keep trying

Q: I disconnected my cable between 50%-80% but I still don't get an update notification.
A: Ok there are a few possible reasons. 1. If you're disabling WiFi, there may be some delay before it's disconnected, affecting your timing. Try experimenting with different timings. 2. If you're using ethernet cable, it could be that your Zune client requires you to disconnect at a different percentage. The 50%-80% estimate is based on my experience and my PC, it may vary for people with different PC configurations (faster processors etc.) 3. There really is no update available for your phone.

Q: I disconnected but it says my phone is up to date.
A: If it says your phone is already up to date, you didn't disconnect quickly enough and need to try this step again. Or, it there could really be no updates for your phone at all.

Down to the nitty-gritty of how/why this works.

When you request for a phone update, Zune will send information of your phone model, followed by country/region to the server to check for updates. By disconnecting the internet connection halfway, your phone model is sent but your country/region data is not, tricking the server to give you an update you technically shouldn't receive.

I can confirm this trick works for me as I used it to get WP7.5 Mango early and got some OEM updates from Samsung early as well. Best of luck to everyone who's trying this and hopefully we can use this to get WP 7.8 early.
Jan 3rd, 2013, 5:29 pm
Jan 3rd, 2013, 10:41 pm
nice trick, worked well with Mango...

but seems not working with 7.8 (on HTC devices, maybe work on others)
Jan 3rd, 2013, 10:41 pm
Feb 11th, 2015, 12:06 am
amberge wrote:This does not work all the time, depending on the type of update the manufacturers seed out, especially if it's region specific.

WP7.x phones not get an update anymore.... is no more support for WP7 phones

only one way left is flashing original firmware on Nokia phones is with Lumia Software Recovery Tool:
http://download-fds.webapps.microsoft.c ... taller.exe
Feb 11th, 2015, 12:06 am