Feb 12th, 2023, 9:26 pm
Hello!

I'm looking for a modern romance book set in USA, possibly part of a series, but I'm not sure. Hero and heroine are in their 30s.

One key detail I remember is that the heroine, a plump woman, has been with her fat boyfriend for a long time. Her boyfriend starts going to a gym where he falls for his personal trainer, a woman who constantly insults and belittles her clients to "motivate" them, Jillian Michaels style. This works because this man is thoroughly disgusted by himself and his weight, always trying a new diet but never succeeding. The boyfriend starts losing weight, getting attractive, and dumps the heroine for the personal trainer.

This is where things get blurry in my memories. I'm pretty sure the now ex boyfriend is interviewed for his "success story" and talks very badly about the heroine, aka the plump woman he dumped. The heroine is very upset about it, because she was only ever encouraging towards him, while he described her as a villain. They might have been high school sweethearts who stayed together through college.

It may or may not have happened that they meet again at a wedding, where nobody knows she was his ex. The hero of the story is also there, and she tells him about being hurt by his ex boyfriend. I can't remember if hero and heroine meet there for the first time or if they already knew each other through mutual friends or work. It's possible either the hero or the heroine, or both are in law enforcement (but not police officers, something like deputy sheriffs?). I also think the whole book was set in a little town (anyway, I don't think it was one of those big cities like L.A. or NYC).

The heroine (or the author?) was probably named something like Emma, Emmalyn or similar (though I'm not sure of the spelling). Every time I try to remember the title for this book, those names come up in my mind, so it's a strong possibility that there is a connection.

Please, if any of this rings a bell, reply with a title!
Feb 12th, 2023, 9:26 pm