Have fun, win prizes, participate in our contests!
Apr 28th, 2024, 1:09 pm

I sometimes get REALLY DEPRESSED reviewing the news these days.
It's always about a global pandemic threatening life as we know it,
protests around the world, stupid politicians, natural disasters,
or some other really bad story.
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

Welcome to The mobi weekly news magazine
IN OTHER NEWS
SUNDAY APRIL 28

What is it?
Here is your chance to become an "ACE REPORTER" for our weekly news magazine.
It is your job to find weird, funny or "good feel" stories from around the world and share them with our readers in our weekly magazine

How do you play?
Just post a story that you have come across that made you smile, laugh, feel good...
BUT NOTHING DEPRESSING :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

EXAMPLE POST
Naked sunbather chases wild boar through park after it steals his laptop bag
A naked sunbather was seen chasing wild boar through a park after it stole his laptop bag.
Amusing photographs from Germany show the man running after the animal to try and claim the plastic bag back.
But the cheeky boar and its two piglets appear to be too quick for the sunbather, who can't keep up with their speedy little trotters.
As the incident unfolds, groups of friends and family sat on the grass watch on and laugh.
Heads are seen turning in surprise and amusement in the hilarious photographs.
The incident happened at Teufelssee Lake - a bathing spot in the Grunwell Forest in Berlin, Germany.

Rules:
Each Edition of IN OTHER NEWS will be open for 7 days...
You can post as many stories as you like, but you will only get paid for One Story in any 24 hour period
So in other words, you can only earn WRZ$ once a day.
Each news day will start when I post announcing it
OR at:
9:00 AM CHICAGO TIME (UTC -5)
3:00 PM GMT (UTC -0)

on those days I space out and forget to post or can't due to Real Life :lol:
Stories may be accompanied with images - but No big images, please! 800x800 pixels wide maximum
Videos are allowed, but please keep them short, and post a short summary for those that don't like to click on videos
No Duplicate stories - Where a post has been edited resulting in duplicates, then the last one in time gets disallowed.
And please limit this to reasonably family friendly stories :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reward:
Each news story posted that I feel is acceptable (must be a real story, too few words or simply a headline are not considered acceptable) will earn you 50 WRZ$
If you post multiple stories on any given day, you will only earn 50 WRZ$ for the first story of the Day
All payments will be made at THE END of the weekly news cycle.
Special Bonus - Each week I will award "The Pulitzer Prize" for the best story of the week
The weekly winner of the "The Pulitzer Prize" will receive a 100 WRZ$ bonus
It's just my personal opinion, so my judgement is final

So help bring GOOD news to the members of mobi, and join our reporting team...

IN OTHER NEWS

Apr 28th, 2024, 1:09 pm

Apr 28th, 2024, 1:12 pm
Twee-wheeling! Hundreds of cyclists don vintage wear for annual Tweed Run through London (with a 'jolly knees-up' at the end)

Hundreds of dapper cyclists took to the roads in their finest vintage wear and most stylish attire as the annual Tweed Run returned to London today.

Organised by creative lifestyle company Bourne & Hollingsworth, the event, which started in 2009, draws large crowds around tourist hotspots in the city every year.

Riders adopt a vintage style for the day, with many riding antique bikes such as the penny farthing, some with wicker baskets attached to hold their snacks for the cycle.

Hundreds of dapper cyclists took to the roads in their finest vintage wear

The 12-mile route saw cyclists in extravagant outfits travel from Clerkenwell to South Kensington, passing the Houses of Parliament, the National History Museum and Buckingham Palace.

The lengthy bike ride also includes a few pit stops on the way, with participants stopping at the half way point for a picnic and ending with a traditional British 'knees-up'.

What distinguishes this bike ride from others is the fashionable tweed outfits

And at the end of the course, prizes are awarded for: best dressed man, best dressed woman, best vintage bicycle, best dressed bicycle, best moustache and best head gear.

What distinguishes this bike ride from others is the fashionable tweed outfits donned by participants and this year was not short of stylish clothing.

One cyclist appeared to be head and shoulders above fellow participants as he rode a penny-farthing while dressed in bright orange knee-high socks and a tweed blazer and trousers.

A cyclist riding beside him sported a green check blazer with matching trousers, as well as mustard-coloured shoes.

Organised by Bourne & Hollingsworth, the event draws large crowds around tourist hotspots each year

One woman seemed happy to pose for photos ahead of the event as she showed off her beige beret, which featured a feather, as well as a beige poncho and brown trousers.

One woman provided a pop of colour with a red outfit, featuring a bright hat, coat, tights and gloves.

Participants will also be treated to tea and lunch during the ride, which usually ends with "a bit of a jolly knees-up", according to organisers.

Apr 28th, 2024, 1:12 pm

Apr 28th, 2024, 1:38 pm
Rubber duck washes up on Scottish beach 18 years after it was released in Ireland

There was a helpful caption on the duck to reveal exactly where it had come from

If you’ve got a duck as a bath toy, you may not rate its swimming skills especially highly.
They often topple onto their sides, looking a bit sad in the bubbly water. But don’t underestimate the stamina of the humble plastic duck – as this one proved.
It bobbed all the way from the River Liffey in Dublin to the north of Scotland in 2024, where it was picked up on the island of Stronsay in Orkney.
Filip Miller, 13, who spotted it on the beach while walking his dog, took it home to show his mum Marion.
They noticed it was was marked with the words ‘World Record Duck Race, Ireland 2006’, and a quick Google revealed that 150,000 ducks like this one were released to try and break the record for the largest ever plastic duck race.
The ducks involved had other ideas, however, and some went in the wrong direction from the mile they were meant to travel. Organisers were unable to collect them all and several escaped into the sea.
Some went wildly off course, with one even ending up in Sweden and others found in Morecambe and the Isle of Wight.

Filip Miller, 13, found it on a beach while walking his dog (Picture: Marion Miller/SWNS)

The duck’s 423-mile journey from Dublin to Orkney (Picture: Metro.co.uk)
This latest straggler went on an Odyssey around the British Isles before being found 423 miles away.
Marion said: ‘Somebody had said it was a shame that this little duck had bobbed all the way from Ireland just to go in the bin – but he’s definitely not going in the bin. I don’t think we’ll keep him in the bath, but we’re definitely going to keep it on the shelf!’
Apr 28th, 2024, 1:38 pm
Apr 28th, 2024, 1:40 pm
Southern California woman defrauded over $150 million from U.S. Postal Service

United States Postal Service (USPS) trucks are parked at a postal facility on August 15, 2019. In its recent quarterly statement the USPS reported a loss of nearly $2.3 billion and a 3.2 percent decline in package deliveries, the first decline in nearly a decade.

A San Gabriel Valley woman pleaded guilty to defrauding over $150 million from the U.S. Postal Service.

Lijuan “Angela” Chen, 51, of Walnut, carried out the scheme by using counterfeit postage to ship tens of millions of packages, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

From November 2019 to May 2023, Chen and her accomplice, Chuanhua “Hugh” Hu, 51, owned and operated a package shipping business in the City of Industry.

The company provided shipping services for China-based logistics businesses.

To save money, Hu created fake postage stamps to ship packages by printing duplicate and counterfeit Netstamps, which are stamps purchased online from third-party vendors and printed onto adhesive paper.

In November 2019, authorities became aware of the counterfeit operation and Hu fled the country and moved to China where he continued making counterfeit postage, officials said.

Chen remained in the U.S. to oversee the warehouses that she and and Hu were using to ship their packages during the scheme.

In 2020, the pair began using the counterfeit labels to send mail through the United States Postal Service.

They would receive parcels from vendors and apply fake shipping labels before arranging for the items to be transferred to USPS facilities.

“The shipping labels were fraudulent and frequently included, among other red flags, ‘intelligent barcode data’ recycled from previously mailed packages,” according to court documents. “Intelligent barcode data is used in some postage shipping labels to evidence the payment of required postage for the shipped item.”

From January 2020 to May 2023, Chen and Hu mailed over 34 million packages with counterfeit postage and shipping labels, officials said.

This scheme caused more than $150 million in losses to the USPS.

Chen pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to defraud the United States and one count of the use of counterfeit postage. She has been in federal custody since her arrest in May 2023.

As part of her plea agreement, Chen also agreed to forfeit funds that authorities seized from her bank accounts, insurance policies, and real estate in several cities including Walnut, Chino, Chino Hills, South El Monte, Diamond Bar, and West Covina.

Hu remains a fugitive believed to be residing in China. He was charged with one count of conspiracy to defraud the U.S., three counts of passing and possessing counterfeit obligations of the U.S., and one count of forging and counterfeiting postage stamps.

A sentencing hearing for Chen is scheduled for Aug. 2. If convicted, she could face up to five years in federal prison for each count.

This case was investigated by the U.S. Postal Inspection Service and IRS Criminal Investigation teams.
Apr 28th, 2024, 1:40 pm
Apr 28th, 2024, 2:27 pm
Walmart deli worker vies for US Olympic team — but he’s not giving up his day job: ‘His work ethic is unmatched’

He’s on track for Olympic glory — but he’s not giving up his day job.

A Walmart worker is set to compete at the US Olympic track and field trials in Oregon following his surprise win in the 60-meter hurdles at the Millrose Games in February.

Dylan Beard, 25, who hails from Raleigh, North Carolina, is still working 40 hours a week behind the deli counter at a local Walmart while training for the trials, which will take place in June.

And while it may be tempting to focus full-time on his hurdling, the elite athlete remains devoted to his deli duties while on the clock.

“At the end of the day, my name is attached to what I’m doing,” he told “Today.” “So yes, I’m working at Walmart in the deli, but it still represents me, which represents a lot of other people.”

Beard is set to compete at the US Olympic track and field trials in Oregon following his surprise win in the 60-meter hurdles at the Millrose Games in February.

Beard remains devoted to his deli duties while on the clock, saying he's proud of the work he does at Walmart.

Coach Reuben McCoy is in awe over Beard’s dedication, telling “Today”: “His work ethic is very much unmatched — and his character speaks very highly of the man who he is.”

Beard’s boss at Walmart, David Davis, is similarly impressed with the young athlete.

“Dylan’s work ethic is next level,” he enthused. “He provides excellent customer service all the time. He goes above and beyond, just like he does on the track.”

https://nypost.com/2024/04/26/lifestyle ... unmatched/
Apr 28th, 2024, 2:27 pm
Apr 28th, 2024, 3:04 pm
Carpool Violator Busted for Trying to Pass Off Realistic Dummy as Passenger

“We’ve gotta give it to them, the appearance is next level," California Highway Patrol said in a statement

One California driver had to learn the hard way that carpool lanes are for people, not plastic.

On Wednesday, April 24, the California Highway Patrol’s Santa Fe Springs office shared a social media post showing how a motorist recently tried to pull a fast one on them by using a dummy as a passenger to avoid heavy traffic.

“So folks have been asking, ‘If I have a mannequin in the passenger seat, does that count as a second occupant in the vehicle?’ Trying to use the carpool lane with no one else in the car!” the department’s Instagram caption began.

For anyone wondering if one of the oldest tricks in the book actually works, “The answer is simple… NO,” they added.

“We’ve gotta give it to them, the appearance is next level modeling but at the end of the day… plastic is plastic.”

The CHP’s Santa Fe Springs division shared a photo of the dummy, who was dressed in a black hoodie while wearing a pair of black sunshades.

According to the Instagram post, it actually wasn’t the plastic passenger that caused the unidentified driver to get pulled over in the first place.

“Officer Kaplan made an enforcement stop on this vehicle for crossing solid double lines only to realize the driver was the only occupant in the vehicle with their plastic friend. The goatee was sharp … just a little too sharp,” the caption said.

Many in the comment section chimed in claiming that the mannequin shared an uncanny resemblance to Snoop Dogg.

As for the real person in the vehicle, the department also shared their consequences: “The driver was subsequently issued a citation for multiple carpool violations.”

“​​That’s fantastic! Good catch CHP,” one commenter wrote.

Before wrapping up their post, the organization was sure to leave a few tips for drivers so that they could possibly avoid traffic (and violations) by simply being prepared.

“Remember to plan ahead, know your route of travel, and the general challenges of your drive to avoid being in a rush or tempted to push your luck," they wrote, while also encouraging interested prospects to join their team.

Apr 28th, 2024, 3:04 pm

Apr 28th, 2024, 4:00 pm
Man Reveals Heart-Warming Friendship With Young Fox That He Cured of Illness in the Wild

A wildlife fan has struck up an extraordinary friendship with a young fox after he noticed she was ill.

Bob Dunlop realized the fox had developed mange on her tail after spying her lack of hair on wildlife cameras set up near his home in Littleport, Cambridgeshire.

The 69-year-old worked out where the animal’s den was located and began to treat the cub by feeding it bread with a homeopathic remedy recommended by a wildlife expert.

Their heart-warming friendship blossomed as the young kit began to greet Mr Dunlop on his daily walks through the English forest.

Mr Dunlop said he knows he must let her re-wild and is slowly cutting down the amount of time he visits—and has already stopped feeding her.

“She’s such a special animal, it will be hard to let go.”

“But I do not intend to make her tame as she is a wild fox.”

In the video below, the fox can be seen rolling on her back and affectionately biting at Mr Dunlop’s trousers for his attention. She also greets him as he approaches, yelping and whining with excitement.

Dunlop began treating the mange—a skin disease caused by microscopic mites that burrow into skin—back in December.

Arsenicum and sulphur

He was unwilling to leave it untreated and sought advice from the National Fox Welfare Society. They sent Dunlop an arsenicum and sulphur 30c homeopathic remedy to treat it, free of charge.

He put the drops on some bread, alongside some dried food, delivering it every day.

Curing the mange also resulted in a unique bond between the compassionate Scotsman and the fox, which began acting more like a dog than a wild animal.

“It was a labor of love,” he told SWNS news service. “I monitored and fed her on a daily basis.

“I think she’s coming up to a year old because I believe she is the last remaining cub of a previous fox family who lived there.

“The mother of those cubs had some mange on her tail too – I think that’s where she got it from.”

“The day I put the food down and she first showed her belly, it was just wonderful.

“I know at some point I’ve got to stop and let her rewild. I think she was just a lonely animal that was ill, has recovered and is showing her appreciation.

“She hides when she hears other people approach and is hunting at night which I see on my camera so I’m not concerned she’s at risk of being too tame.”

And he hopes that she might have her own cubs one day.
Apr 28th, 2024, 4:00 pm

Twitter: Fatima99@fatima99_mobi
Apr 28th, 2024, 5:26 pm
Gold watch recovered from body of richest man on the Titanic sells for £1.2m

John Jacob Astor was last seen smoking a cigarette and chatting with a fellow passenger as the Titanic went down. His body was recovered from the Atlantic a week later - along with the pocket watch.

A gold pocket watch that was recovered from the body of the richest man on the Titanic has been sold for a record-breaking £1.175m.

The watch was sold to a private collector in the US at Henry Aldridge & Son in Devizes, Wiltshire, for the highest amount ever for Titanic memorabilia, the auctioneers said.

The timepiece was expected to fetch between £100,000 and £150,000.

Its original owner, John Jacob Astor, 47, went down with the ship on 15 April 1912 after helping his wife on to a lifeboat.

Rather than try his luck with another lifeboat, the impeccably dressed businessman, a prominent member of the wealthy Astor family, was last seen smoking a cigarette and chatting with a fellow passenger.

His body was recovered from the Atlantic Ocean seven days after the sinking of the ship, which hit an iceberg on its maiden voyage to New York, and his 14-carat gold Waltham pocket watch, engraved with the initials JJA, was found.

Mr Astor was thought to be one of the richest people in the world at the time of the Titanic's sinking, with a net worth of about $87m - equivalent to several billion dollars today, auctioneer Andrew Aldridge said.

"At first, Astor did not believe the ship was in any serious danger but later it was apparent she was sinking and the captain had started an evacuation after midnight, so he helped his wife into lifeboat four," Mr Aldridge said.

Mrs Astor survived. Her husband's body was recovered not far from the sinking.

The watch was passed by Mr Astor's son Vincent to the son of his father's executive secretary, William Dobbyn.

The previous highest price paid for Titanic artefacts was £1.1 million at the same auction house in 2013 for a violin that was played as the ship sank.

The case for the violin was sold in the same auction as the pocket watch at Henry Aldridge & Son for £360,000.

Auctioneer Andrew Aldridge said that the prices fetched by the Titanic memorabilia at the sale were "absolutely incredible".

He said: "They reflect not only the importance of the artefacts themselves and their rarity, but they also show the enduring appeal and fascination with the Titanic story.

"112 years later, we are still talking about the ship and the passengers and the crew.

"The thing with the Titanic story, it's effectively a large ship hits an iceberg with a tragic loss of life, but more importantly is 2,200 stories.

"2,200 subplots, every man, woman and child had a story to tell and then the memorabilia tells those stories today."
Apr 28th, 2024, 5:26 pm

Apr 28th, 2024, 5:32 pm
No woman had ever finished the Barkley Marathons — until Jasmin Paris did with 99 seconds to spare

1st woman to finish the Barkley Marathons took 'great pleasure' in defying expectations

Jasmin Paris, the first woman ever to complete the Barkley Marathons, had to catch her breath before she took in the moment.

"It was [a] very intense moment, and I really had to sort of dig deep, deeper than I've ever had to dig before to get myself to the gate," the British runner, 40, told The Current's Matt Galloway.

"I just wanted to do it for me," she said. "It was kind of proving it to myself that I was capable of it."

Paris ran the race twice before, but never completed it — until this March, when she clocked in at 59 hours, 58 minutes and 21 seconds, just 99 seconds before the 60-hour cut-off time. She's the only woman to have ever completed the trail race.

"The fact that I, you know, did it as the first woman and proved a lot of people wrong — I think they thought a woman could never finish. Yeah, that was really satisfying. I got great pleasure from that."

More than 1,000 ultra-marathoners have attempted the Barkley Marathons in Frozen Head State Park in Morgan County, Tenn., since its first run in 1986. But only 20 people have ever completed the 161-kilometre course, including the first Canadian this year.

The course, which consists of five laps and includes about 16,500 metres of elevation, is run through various types of terrains; from steep climbs and descents to treks through fallen trees and foliage, and must be completed without any kind of technological support.

"You've got no way of contacting anyone when you're out there. It's mostly off-trail, involves quite a lot of navigation," Paris said.

According to Paris, the Barkley Marathons demand a participant's full attention throughout the 60 hours.

"You have to be in the moment focusing on it, because the minute you start thinking much about anything else, then you would go wrong, because the navigation's such a key part of it."

This includes avoiding sleep.

"I said I was going to take a three-minute power nap before the last loop, but there isn't time," she said.

As the ultramarathon went on, Paris says she started seeing hallucinations amongst broken trees.

"I saw quite a lot of big cats, lions and that sort of thing — and pigs."

Paris also saw people in black raincoats dotted along the ridge above her.

"At one point they had a sort of quite sinister feel to them," she said. "The first time I saw them, I was really confused because you're not allowed to be off-trail in that park."

Paris is no stranger to ultra sports like the Barkley Marathons. She has been a national fell running (hill running) champion, and she previously competed in tournaments for skyrunning — a type of mountain running.

Prior to the Barkley Marathons, her most famous victory was in the 2019 Spine Race. It's an ultramarathon held over a distance of around 431 kilometres from Edale, England, to Kirk Yetholm, Scotland, along the Pennine Way.

Participants are allowed seven days to complete the course, but Paris only needed 83 hours, 12 minutes and 23 seconds — or about three days — to complete it. That time was the fastest ever recorded by a participant — male or female — and it made Paris the first woman to win the event overall.

All the while, Paris was expressing milk for her nearly-14-month-old daughter during breaks.

In September, Paris plans on competing in the Tor des Géants, an endurance trail race in the Italian Alps. For now though, she's been enjoying the relaxation.

"I have eaten a lot of cake in the last three weeks. I'm gonna have to stop doing that," she said.
Apr 28th, 2024, 5:32 pm

Apr 28th, 2024, 11:58 pm
One in 5 Americans ‘Always’ Think About Planning Their Next Vacation–While On Vacation: New Survey

Jakob Owens

A survey of 2,000 travel-loving adults found that one in five people long for another vacation again the day they get back and another 27% said this feeling wells up within a week.

Looking ahead, the average respondent wants to spend 15 days on vacation in 2024, after the average said they grabbed 11 days last year in 2023.

Just a quarter of respondents said they traveled more than the average person they know, but nearly half say they want to be known as the frequent traveler.

Conducted by OnePoll for Club Wyndham, the survey found that 89% of those surveyed said vacation reduces their stress levels, even temporarily, with 84% saying a vacation can relax them and decrease stress for weeks upon returning.

A majority of respondents said that they consider vacations as a form of self-care (86%).

And, because they can reduce stress, 80% would be interested in a “do-nothing” vacation where they sit by the pool or beach, reading a book or relaxing.

“According to the survey, more than 70% of potential travelers count down to their vacation, and a majority long to travel again just one week after returning home,” said Annie Roberts, senior vice president of club and owner services at Club Wyndham.

“It’s not surprising that they want to experience the ‘vacation glow’ again and again.”

To make sure they get what they’re looking for, many of those surveyed go to great lengths to dream of and plan a vacation well tailored to their interests.

Dan Dumitriu

Respondents want to steer clear of discomforts, like sharing a bathroom with others (27%) and want to avoid situations where they would have difficulty sleeping (27%).

When on vacation with others, 79% prefer having their own—or extra—space to spread out, including 82% of parents.

“People want to ensure their vacation decisions bring them quality, consistency, and peace of mind—the chance to gather comfortably to enjoy shared moments that become lifelong memories.”
Apr 28th, 2024, 11:58 pm
Apr 29th, 2024, 4:06 am
Woolly Mammoths In Yellowstone? Biotech Company Says It Has The Technology

Biotech company Colossal Biosciences has announced plans to bring back the extinct woolly mammoth by 2028. They think Yellowstone could be a good place for reintroduction as the environment is pristine and isolated enough for them to thrive.
AR
Andrew Rossi

April 27

This illustration generated by PhotoShop's artificial intelligence generator shows what it could look like if prehistoric wooly mammoths were introduced into Yellowstone National Park. (Cowboy State Daily Illustration by Greg Johnson)

If returning the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem’s native species is truly a priority, the nation’s first national park would be teeming with more than grizzly bears, wolves and huge bison with prehistoric genes.

There also would be a thriving population of giant mammoths calling the ecosystem home.

And if a group of ambitious genetic scientists have anything to say about it, Yellowstone tourists will one day have to navigate mammoth jams on their trips through the park along with its majestic bison and bears.

That now-extinct mammoths could have a future home in Yellowstone isn’t just a sci-fi fantasy, it could happen. But whether it should is a conundrum as hairy as the prehistoric pachyderms, and some scientists think that concept should be kept on ice.

Colossal Biosciences surprised many with its recent commitment to “resurrect” the woolly mammoth by 2028. After years of research, Colossal believes it has the technology to bring back the extinct species by creating viable hybrid calves of mammoths and modern elephants.

But Colossal claims it isn’t doing such complex science solely to achieve another scientific milestone for humanity. Once resurrected, the company hopes to integrate the mammoth hybrids into existing ecosystems and resume the ecological roles they filled before their extinction.

There aren’t many pristine environments where resurrected woolly mammoths could thrive since most of their habitat has been lost to a warming planet since the ice age and human civilization over the past 20,000 years. However, one possible place might be the 3,472-square-mile corner of northwest Wyoming.

Call Of The Wild

Regarding the logistics of resurrecting woolly mammoths, Colossal’s team of scientists and supporters have spent several years and millions of dollars figuring it out. They’re so confident in their success that they’ve set a deadline.

“We believe we are currently on track for a 2028 birthing,” Ben Lamm, CEO and co-founder of Colossal, told Cowboy State Daily. “We recently were able to create an elephant iPSCs (stem cells) that is a global, world-first breakthrough and a significant step toward our woolly mammoth project. Colossal is also in the editing in the elephant cell phase of the project and leveraging the knowledge gained from the computational analysis of our now 60 mammoth genomes.”

In October 2021, Colossal finished assembling complete genomes for extant Asian and African elephants, a significant step since mammoths and Asian elephants share 99.6% of the same DNA.

Colossal intends to alter elephant iPSCs to carry mammoth DNA, then grow a mammoth-elephant hybrid in artificial wombs or elephant surrogates. The result will be a living animal that physically and genetically resembles an extinct woolly mammoth.

were introduced into Yellowstone National Park. (Cowboy State Daily Illustration by Greg Johnson)
A Real Jurassic Park?

But then what?

Lamm said the first mammoth hybrids will be kept “in a state-of-the-art, secure, animal-certified private nature preserve under the care of leading animal care professionals and elephant specialists.”

“We are focused on ensuring the health and well-being of mammoth calves from infancy through adulthood,” he said. “As we monitor their health and happiness, we will be able to make more decisions about when and how to bring in new generations. In this special location they can be allowed to grow and develop in a safe, respectful and secure environment while preparing to graduate to rewilding sites.”

“Rewilding” is Colossal’s ultimate goal. Lamm said the company wants its mammoths and other resurrected animals to function and thrive in the real world, filling the ecological roles left vacant since their extinction.

“Our long-term goal for all of our rewilding projects is to create self-sufficient, sustainable populations back in the wild,” he said. “Colossal is working with numerous conservation partners, indigenous people groups, and agencies to develop plans for the reintroduction of our rebuilt de-extinct species to their natural habitats.”

The entire state of Wyoming is within the historic ranges of mammoths. Does that mean it could be within their future range?
Wyoming’s Mammoths

Despite their prehistoric reputation, mammoths existed in distant human memory. They were roaming Wyoming as recently as 13,000 years ago.

Todd Surovell is an archaeologist and director of the Frison Institute at the University of Wyoming who has worked at the famous La Prele Mammoth Site in Converse County. He recently published a paper on a 13,000-year-old bone bead found at La Prele, where prehistoric people butchered a mammoth carcass.

From his perspective, the landscape of modern-day Wyoming is pretty similar to what it was 13,000 years ago. The biggest difference is the lack of giant mammals, like mammoths and mastodons.

“When the first people arrived, there would have been horses, camels, peccaries and various carnivores like direwolves, cheetahs, lions, giant short-faced bears and giant ground sloths,” he said. “That would have been the most noticeable difference about Wyoming 13,000 years ago.

“But ecologically, if you're looking at like the landscape, the plant communities would have been pretty similar.”

Dr. Julie Meachen is a mammalian biologist who specializes in paleoecology. Her extensive career studying Pleistocene mammals includes excavations and research in the famous Natural Trap Cave outside Lovell.

The limestone cave in the Bighorn Mountains contains the bones of many extinct North American megafauna, including American cheetahs and lions, short-faced bears, camels and mammoths. Cold conditions inside the cave keep the bones so well preserved that prehistoric DNA has been extracted and studied.

Based on her research at Natural Trap Cave and elsewhere, Meachen also believes that the Wyoming landscape today is essentially the same as it was during the last days of the mammoths. In theory, mammoths could quickly make themselves at home in Yellowstone.

“These are animals adapted to an open habitat,” she said. “The ecosystem is similar enough to what they had back in the Pleistocene that I don't think the ecosystem itself would be an issue.”

But there’s already an elephant in the room: No woolly mammoth specimen has been found in fossil-rich Wyoming. All the mammoths discovered so far are Columbian mammoths, a closely related species that was considerably larger.

“Overall, elephants are smaller than mammoths,” she said. “Modern elephants are probably about the size of a woolly mammoth, but a Columbian mammoth is significantly bigger than an elephant.

Woolly mammoths didn’t live in perpetually snowy environments but were adapted to a specific ecosystem that could get quite chilly. Woolly mammoths might struggle in modern-day Yellowstone, and resurrecting the ideal environment could be an even more mammoth task.

Steppe Back

Fred Lacombat is a paleontologist who specializes in cold-adapted fauna. His research has taken him across Siberia's frozen landscapes to examine the carcasses of frozen ice age megafauna. He even led a team of researchers scanning and autopsying baby mammoths.

Lacombat said woolly mammoths lived in a specific prehistoric biome called “the mammoth steppe.” This ecosystem was once the planet's largest and most expansive, stretching across the entire Northern Hemisphere.

“They used to live in a cool and dry climate,” he said. “The environment was crucial for them. They used to migrate seasonally in large herds in the mammoth steppe and could find all the different plants that they needed to live in large quantities.”

At its peak, the steppe would have resembled a vast grassland covered with grasses, herbs and other high-productivity plants. For roughly 100,000 years, mammoths shared that environment with extant species like brown bears, reindeer, wolves and antelope, along with extinct cave lions and woolly rhinos.

Given this description, there could be plenty of things mammoths would find familiar in Yellowstone. Even modern-day bison are close relatives of the extinct steppe bison that occupied the mammoth steppe 20,000 years ago.

Despite this, Lacombat is skeptical that mammoths could find a happy, healthy home in Yellowstone.

“Yellowstone is a wonderful place for animals to live, but you can’t find a real steppe (environment) there,” he said. “This type of mammoth steppe is not found today.”

There’s also the significantly hairy issue posed by woolly mammoths.

Woolly mammoths were probably genetically similar to Columbian mammoths, as there’s evidence the two species hybridized before their extinction. But Columbian mammoths were considerably less hairy, an adaptation for life in warmer climates.

Meachen still believes mammoths could sustain themselves in Yellowstone, but the long hair of a resurrected woolly mammoth would be a hot-button issue.

“I don't know what their temperature threshold is,” she said. “Nobody does. That’s up in the air. It’s unclear whether a woolly would do OK in the Yellowstone Ecosystem, especially today with climate change. Fifty or 100 years ago? Maybe, but I don’t know about today.”
Steppe Up

Lamm said Colossal recognizes that its woolly mammoths won’t survive without a thriving mammoth steppe. That’s why they’re working so hard to resurrect the mammoth and return it to the wild.

“The mammoth’s massive size, thunderous gait and vast migration patterns were active benefactors in preserving the health of the Arctic region,” he said. “The Mammoth Steppe was once the world’s largest ecosystem, home to millions of large herbivores. And these animals were key to protecting an ecosystem so vast.”

Lamm said that the total mass of plants and animals in Siberia’s tundra today is 100-fold less than when it was a steppe. He cited the extinction of mammoths as the primary reason for that.

“The loss of these large cold-tolerant mammoths over the past 10,000 years has stripped this ecosystem of the grasslands,” he said. “There are mossy forests and wetlands, which aren’t as helpful with combating rising temperatures.”

That touches on one of Colossal’s primary goals. Resurrecting the mammoth and the steppe could be a permanent, natural solution to reducing climate change.

“If the Mammoth Steppe ecosystem could be revived it could help reverse the rapid warming of the climate and, more pressingly, protect the Arctic’s permafrost — one of the world’s largest carbon reservoirs,” Lamm said.

As for Yellowstone, Lamm wouldn’t say whether the first national park is being considered as a rewilding location for mammoths.

“We are currently exploring many environments for potential rewilding but have not yet finalized the exact locations,” he said. “This rewilding planning process will take years and has to be done thoughtfully with various partners across conservation, government and ingenious leaders.”
This illustration generated by PhotoShop's artificial intelligence generator shows what it could look like if prehistoric wooly mammoths were introduced into Yellowstone National Park.

People Vs. Pachyderms

When facing the question of a hypothetical future with mammoths in Yellowstone, many scientists believe the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem could absorb their return without much trouble.

Meachen speculated the transition could be “completed” within a single lifetime, citing the reintroduction of wolves as a relevant, modern-day comparison.

“When wolves were reintroduced in the 1990s, things went back to the ‘normal’ ecosystem within 10 years,” she said. “If mammoths were left to their own devices — unmolested, and this is always the caveat — I would say habitats would probably be restored within 20 to 40 years.”

Meachen has a strong opinion about mammoths in Yellowstone’s future, and it’s not optimistic.

“I think it would be a catastrophe,” she said. “I don't think the ecosystem will have trouble absorbing mammoth, but it could have serious consequences for the human environment.”

Meachen has studied modern elephants in the wild and knows enough about their behavior to see dozens of mammoth-sized issues. Elephants are more than willing to use their size and strength to get what they want, and there isn’t much people can do to dissuade them.

It’s not hard to find examples of the destruction wrought by a single 5-ton male elephant, let alone a herd of multiple, multi-ton animals on the same wavelength.

Woolly mammoths, let alone Wyoming’s endemic Columbian mammoths, would make that potential even bigger and badder. Lacombat estimated that a sustainable population of breeding mammoths, as was done with wolves in Yellowstone, would need at least 200 animals.

Meachen can already envision the absolute havoc mammoths could cause inside and outside Yellowstone. She believes anyone living adjacent to the park would “have an absolute, catastrophic heart attack if elephants were going to be unleashed in their neighborhoods.”

“I can see giant herds of mammoths stampeding through West Yellowstone, stomping on cars and bowling through buildings,” she said. “It would be an absolute catastrophe. You have to remember that an elephant's home territory is probably bigger than the park, and they probably wouldn’t give a damn if the boundaries were not sufficient for their roaming needs.”

Double Jeopardy

Woolly mammoths roamed the Northern Hemisphere until around 12,000 years ago when the Mammoth Steppe started declining worldwide. Paleontologists and archaeologists still debate the reasons for this decline.

Lacombat said it’s no coincidence that mammoths and many other ice age creatures went extinct once their environment began to disappear.

“Climate warming reduced the area where steppe mammoths could be found,” he said. “They became isolated in smaller areas, and then it was more difficult for them to have genetic interbreeding. In addition, the pressure of human hunting increased in certain places. These two parameters probably reduced the population, leading in the long term to its extinction.”

Today, the steppe is a shadow of itself. The eastern Altai-Sayan mountains of central Eurasia are cited as the closest analog to the prehistoric biome, and many species that formerly lived there still exist today.

The leading theories for what caused the Late Pleistocene extinctions of mammoths and many other large North American mammals are climate change and humans. While scientists argue over the extent of humanity’s role in the extinction, most believe they had a significant impact.

“I believe very strongly that if humans had never colonized the Americas, there would still be mammoths living here today,” Surovell said. “I believe that mammoth extinction worldwide was largely driven by human hunting. This is a very contentious topic in archaeology, but to me, it’s rather unambiguous.”

A 2023 study of the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles, California, found high quantities of charcoal in the sediment, likely from fires caused by the migration and settlement of prehistoric people. That discovery led researchers to conclude that human habitation, rather than hunting, was the leading cause of mammoth extinction.

Meachen was one of the scientists leading the 2023 La Brea study. She said humans were modifying their prehistoric habitat to such a degree that it immensely impacted animals, particularly large mammals like mammoths.

“I think the major cause of the extinction was a combination of large-scale climate change and habitat modification by humans,” she said. “It’s just like that today. Habitat modification is the No. 1 reason animals go extinct today. We eradicate natural habitats today, and that was happening at the end of the last ice age, too.”

This perspective contributes to Meachen and Surovell’s skepticism that mammoths could successfully and sustainably survive in modern-day Yellowstone.

“I can't imagine that this wouldn't present a serious issue,” Meachen said. “Humans would want to kill these things immediately, and I don't think the mammoths would stand a chance. It's a tragedy waiting to happen for both the mammoths and humans.”

“Mammoths would just do just fine (in Yellowstone) if we allowed them to,” Surovell added. “But we allow these animals to exist. If we didn't regulate the hunting of pronghorn or elk, I feel very strongly that those things would not exist anymore.”

Can, But Should?

Despite the informed pessimism expressed by paleontologists, archaeologists, biologists and many other scientific minds in the 21st century, the modern world seems poised to witness the return of the woolly mammoth.

And even the pessimists aren’t immune to the childlike enthusiasm of seeing a living mammoth.

“Some nights when I can't fall asleep, I sit in my tent and imagine what it would be like to hear a herd of mammoths walking by,” Surovell said. “What would it be like to drive down Interstate 80 and see a herd of mammoths off in the distance? It would be a really cool thing to go beyond imagination.”

Meachen described her first experience with a wild elephant as “absolutely breathtaking.”

“I've never had a visceral reaction to an animal like I did to an elephant in the wild,” she said. “They are incredible. So, I understand the feelings of wanting to resurrect mammoths. I understand the excitement.”

However, the philosophical boundaries of human civilization often check the enthusiasm for science. The ultimate issue in the debate over de-extinction was queried by the character Ian Malcolm in the 1993 film “Jurassic Park”: science can, but that doesn’t mean humanity should.

Even in the vast Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem, mammoths would still be confined to the invisible boundaries erected by human civilization. In Yellowstone National Park, their existence would be beholden to people's permissiveness.

Humanity contributed to the extinction of the mammoths in the distant past. If so tempted, they could contribute to their extinction again in the future.

“Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a living mammoth once in my life,” Lacombat said. “But what is the goal? It will cost millions and millions to bring back a prehistoric species, and while I’m sure it will be studied, it might only become a tourist attraction. Putting woolly mammoths in an open cage is not something I like to think about.”
Apr 29th, 2024, 4:06 am
Apr 29th, 2024, 5:29 am
Mississippi man finds fossilized remains of saber-toothed tiger dating back 10,000 years
Mississippi resident Eddie Templeton recently discovered a bone that once belonged to a saber-tooth tiger. Now he wants to find one of the prehistoric creature's teeth.
Soure: USA TODAY

It's not every day you dig up the fossilized remains of an apex predator.

Unless your name is Eddie Templeton, who recently discovered the crystallized toe bone of a saber-toothed tiger in a creek bed in Yazoo County, Mississippi, according to reporting by the Clarion Ledger, part of the USA TODAY Network.

"I knew it was a mineralized bone... I knew it was from the Pleistocene (Ice Age), but I didn't know what it was from," Templeton said. "It's not particularly large or impressive, but it is complete."

Saber-toothed tigers, or smilodon fatalis, are a species of large cat that weighed somewhere between 350 and 620 pounds, making the extinct creature larger than both the modern African lion, the Ledger reported.

The pearly whites on the creature were sharp, with a "scalpel-like" quality, a descriptor given to the "elongated upper canines." Its tail, on the other hand, was more of a bobcat vibe.

A fossilized toe bone found in Yazoo County, Mississippi, is a rare example of a bone from a saber-toothed cat, or saber-toothed tiger, as they are ofthen called
Image: Eddie Templeton/Special To The Clarion-Ledger

Here's what we know.

Saber-toothed tiger bone is a 'rare' find, expert says

The bone may not look impressive, but finding one certainly is.

There are currently fewer than six fossilized bones of saber-toothed cats in Mississippi's possession, according to George Phillips, a paleontologist at the state's Museum of Natural Science.

"Carnivores are always rare. Carnivores are always smaller populations than what they prey on," Phillips said.

Other cat species roamed the region alongside the saber-toothed cat, including American lions, jaguars, panthers, bobcats, ocelots and river cats. The Smilodon fatalis might not have been the only cat species to roam the region during the last ice age, but it certainly stood out. The bite from the fearsome predator is considered what some might call "specialized."

"They're a little larger than a banana," Phillips said of a saber toothed cat's canine teeth. "They're about 10.5 inches long. Slightly more than half of that is embedded in the skull. We're looking at about 5 inches beyond the gum line. It had a well-developed shoulder, neck and jaw musculature. That, coupled with the sabers, contributed to its specialized feeding."

How the teeth were used isn't clear, with Phillip positing that they were used to deeply penetrate soft tissue such as the underbelly of giant ground sloths or young mastodons. The cat could inflict fatal wounds in one bite with less danger of injuring a tooth and step back and wait for the animal to succumb.

"I think it had to be one blow," Phillips said.

While others maintain that the dagger-like teeth were used to secure prey by the neck.

Saber-tooth tiger was once a top predator, proof seen in remains

The Stories in Stone exhibit at the Mississippi Museum of Natural Science has a reproduction of a saber-toothed cat skeleton in Jackson, Miss., on Thursday, April 17, 2024.
Image: Lauren Witte/Clarion Ledger

The saber-toothed cat's reign as a top apex predator eventually came to an end because of the arrival of humans, climate change or a combination of those factors.

All that's left of this "megafauna" and others like it are fossilized remains.

Templeton, who considers himself an avocational archaeologist, he's hopeful that he might be able to find another bone in the same area he hunts for fossils. He hopes that he will be able to procure another piece of one of the giant cats.

"It's got me optimistic I might find a tooth," Templeton said. "That would be a wow moment."
Apr 29th, 2024, 5:29 am
Apr 29th, 2024, 6:10 am
Was Amelia Earhart Really Eaten By Giant Crabs?

The short answer is we don’t know, but the crab theory certainly has a pinch to it.

Coconut crabs are omnivorous and have been known to eat and scatter the bones of their prey when they return to the burrows. Is this what happened to Amelia Earhart? Image Credit: KYTan/Shutterstock.

Amelia Earhart is remembered today for various reasons. She is one of the most prominent figures in aviation history for her trailblazing accomplishments as a female pilot – not to mention being the first woman to fly alone across the Atlantic Ocean. But today Earhart is mostly remembered for her mysterious disappearance after she set off on her global flight in July 1937. Ever since then, speculation has been rife as to what happened to her, but one idea has consistently clawed its way back into popular imagination over the last decade – was Amelia Earhart eaten by crabs?

The mystery and the crabs

In 1940, British colonists exploring Nikumaroro, an atoll about 1,800 miles away from Hawaii in the western Pacific Ocean, recovered pieces of a skeleton – just 13 bones to be precise - that was thought to belong to Earhart who had been missing for three years. In order to verify their find, the remains were shipped to Fiji for further analysis but were subsequently lost.

If these bones were hers, then the idea is that Earhart and her navigator, Fred Noonan, must have lost their way and then landed on Nikumaroro (called Gardner at the time), as the surrounding reef could have been used as a kind of runway. However, it is believed, Noonan died, and the plane disappeared into the ocean, leaving Earhart alone. Except she was not completely alone.

Nikumaroro is home to the giant coconut crab, a massive land-dwelling invertebrate that has been known to hunt and kill large birds for food. These mega-crabs are so large that can have up to a meter-long leg span. They were so enormous, that Charles Darwin described them as “monstrous”, though he also thought they were delicious. Coconut crabs earn their name for their ability to smash open coconuts to feast on their white flesh, but they also prey on rats and other animals that stray too close to their borrows. At night, swarms of the giant crustaceans have been known to scour around for prey to eat.

So how does this relate to the Earhart mystery? Well, remember that there were only 13 bones found in 1940? What happened to the rest of the 193 bones that make up a human skeleton? All fingers point to the crabs.

Coconut crabs, also known as “robber crabs”, are so relentless in their swarms that they can scatter their prey’s remains across wide areas, and these beasties are known to live on Nikumaroro. Since this idea first emerged, the International Group of Historical Aircraft Recovery (TIGHAR) has performed several experiments using pig carcasses to see where the crabs would take them and whether this would lead to more human remains. They found that the crabs can strip a body in less than two weeks and smuggle the bones back to their burrows, which, they believe, may explain why only 13 bones were found in 1940.

It's an interesting (if not gruesome) hypothesis, but it remains just that despite the subject being extremely popular online and on social media. In 2018, TIGHAR and a team of researchers and anthropologists from the University of Tennessee had another crack at the mystery by using dogs borrowed from the Canine Forensics Foundation to help find the bones. Although they claim the dogs picked up a scent of human remains, National Geographic reported in 2019, nothing conclusive has been discovered.

The mystery of what happened to Amelia Earhart may never be answered, but for her sake, we hope whatever happened was more peaceful than the prospects of being devoured by scavenging crabs.
Apr 29th, 2024, 6:10 am
Apr 29th, 2024, 10:16 am
Belgian Couple Share Their Home with a Wild Boar
020624*

Tiffany and Grégory, a couple from Belgium’s Wallonia region, have been sharing their home with Oscar, a rescued wild boar, for more than a year now.

It all started about a year ago, during a hunting trip, when Grégory Guiot brought home a 700-gram boar cub that his dogs had found. It was December 6th, Saint Nicholas Day, and Gregory didn’t have the heart to just leave the helpless animal in the wild, where it would have likely perished on its own Instead, he took hit home to his partner, Tiffany Pierre. Neither of them even entertained the idea of keeping the boar at first, instead focusing on caring for it until they found another arrangement. However, Tiffany and Grégory found themselves becoming more and more attached to the little bundle of joy with each passing day, so when they finally decided to take little Oscar to an educational farm where he would be well taken care of, they both had tears in their eyes…

Photo: Miller-Eszter/Pixabay

“After a few days, we called to ask us to come pick him up because he was literally starving himself,” Tiffany told Belgian newspaper L’Avenir. Gregory told her that if they went to get Oscar, they would never be able to let him go ever again, and the one-year-old boar has indeed now become part of their family. They have taken Oscar into their home, and although they’ve had to adapt to his behavior, they couldn’t imagine living without him.

Oscar has his own sofa, pillows, and blankets and tends to get territorial whenever guests get too close to his property. He gets up and starts to growl, but his mom and dad make sure to explain to everyone that it’s just his wild instincts. At 80 kilograms, Oscar is already incredibly strong, but he is still growing and will likely reach 120 kilograms (265 pounds) in a year or so. Grégory says that he is already the one being walked whenever he takes Oscar out for a walk, and he is only getting stronger.

Boars are known for their intelligence and extremely strong sense of smell, and Oscar is no exception. When he can smell something edible in the cupboard, he will stop at nothing to get to it. That’s why his masters never leave any food where the boar can reach it and have also removed the handles for all cupboards, just for good measure.

Oscar has a very healthy appetite. Every day, he ingurgitates between 1.5 and 2 kg of food, mainly vegetables and dry bread, although he doesn’t mind the occasional sweet treat.

The boar has adapted to his indoor lifestyle. He never relieves himself in the house, instead alerting his owners whenever he needs to go outside. And whenever he comes back inside, he doesn’t mind getting his hooves cleaned.

“I sleep with him on the sofa,” Tiffany said. “He doesn’t know how to sleep alone, even when I take a shower, it’s sometimes hard for him. Grégory sleeps alone upstairs, I think Oscar must have, in some way, an Oedipus complex.”

Perhaps this wasn’t my best idea,” Grégory Guiot jokingly said about the decision to share a home with a boar, but he couldn’t imagine his life without the furry beast. He and Tiffany don’t have any children yet, so they spoil him instead.
Apr 29th, 2024, 10:16 am
Apr 29th, 2024, 11:30 am
The Largest Bird On Earth Also Has The Largest Eyes Of Any Land Animal
Ostriches have massive eyes that have developed to give them an edge at survival, even if it has made them look somewhat ugly in the process.

Ostriches are weird and delightful for many reasons, but did you know they have the largest eyes of any land animal?

We're going to put it out there: ostriches are weird, but they are also very cool. Not only are they the largest bird on the planet, growing up to 2.8 meters (9.2 feet) tall but they are also the fastest flightless birds out there. But did you also know that they also have the largest eyes of any land animal? In fact, their eyes are so large that they dwarf their own brains by comparison.

Ostrich eyes are really big. They are about 2 inches (5 cm) across, which makes them about five times larger than a human eye. The optical design of their eyes is set up in a way that the lens and cornea contribute equally to the total optical power.

Interestingly, analysis of ostrich eyes has revealed them to effectively be scaled-up versions of the eyes of other birds, like the common starling and even the tawny owl. This similarity may be quite striking at first, considering that the eyes of these two bird species appear to have different shapes. This, it has been hypothesized, may be a result of the birds' differing weights.

For instance, the overall shape of an owl eye may result from the evolution of a large eye – both in terms of its aperture and axial length (the measure from the front to the back) – which needs to fit into a small skull and still be light enough for powerful flight.

However, because they are flightless birds, ostriches are not constrained by the same weight issues, so they have developed the characteristic global shape to their massive peepers. This may offer a range of advantages, especially in relation to the size of the visual field it would offer the bird.

Ostriches have a monocular field – the vision in each eye individually – that extends to about 155°, which helps them scan the horizon for potential dangers. However, ostriches have a substantial blind spot above and behind their heads which is caused by the way their eyes sit in their skulls to protect them from the tropic sun.

This type of natural shielding may be needed to prevent retinal damage, but it does make them look like angry sock puppets.

Ostriches also have binocular vision in front of their bills which is invaluable for searching for food. This visual field extends vertically through 80° and up to a width of around 20°.

It’s quite a small range, but it helps them to forage for food on the ground. As they are principally herbivores, this means ostriches need to be able to focus on small objects like leaves, seeds, and flowers. They also sometimes eat small insects and vertebrates when the feeling takes them (we’ve all been there) so this visual field also helps them target potentially moving prey.

Yet while their eyes are colossal and bulging, they are ridiculous compared to the bird’s modestly sized brain. Ostriches have brains that are about 59.26 mm (2.3 inches) long and about 42.30 mm (1.6 inches) wide. Visually, this would look like a golf ball wired up to two billiard balls.

Still, the birds have clearly evolved in a way that does not need them to have a large brain. If hiding doesn’t work, the bird can usually just outrun any problems that come its way.

https://www.iflscience.com/the-largest- ... imal-73982
Apr 29th, 2024, 11:30 am