Have fun, win prizes, participate in our contests!
Jun 27th, 2021, 4:58 am
World's Oldest Living Gorilla Celebrates 60th Birthday at Zoo Atlanta

Ozzie, the oldest male gorilla on record, celebrated with a multi-tiered ice "cake"

Ozzie's 60th birthday was a particularly special one.

The western lowland gorilla, who celebrated his milestone on Sunday, is the world's oldest living male gorilla - and the oldest male gorilla on record, according to his caretakers at Zoo Atlanta.

So the big guy was rightfully celebrated on June 20, most notably enjoying a multi-tiered ice "cake" full of frozen fruit and some extra love from staff.

According to a press release from Zoo Atlanta, 350-lb. Ozzie has "more than 20 descendants" that span three generations. Some still live with him at Zoo Atlanta, while others have been moved to Association of Zoos and Aquariums-accredited zoos over time. Currently, he lives in a habitat specially configured for senior gorillas with females Choomba, 58, Machi, 45, and Kuchi, 36. Gorillas are deemed geriatric after the age of 40, the zoo says.

Due in part to hunting, habitat loss and disease, western lowland gorillas are considered critically endangered by the International Union for Conservation of Nature.

source: https://people.com/pets/worlds-oldest-l ... o-atlanta/
Jun 27th, 2021, 4:58 am

Twitter @HgwrtzExprss
Join Mobilism Discord server to get instant updates on contests: https://discord.gg/JqD2wAWSGw

Jun 27th, 2021, 8:00 am
Scientists Believe ‘Dragon Man’ Skull Could Be Another Branch of Humans
Published 26 June 2021*

A stunning discovery of an ancient skull hidden for decades has set scientists abuzz.

Image via Screenshot Sam Haselby Twitter post

Scientists in China have discovered a skull that they believe could have belonged to a yet-unknown species of ancient human that has now been named “Dragon Man.”

The skull was originally discovered in 1933 during construction of a bridge in Harbin City, in northeast China, but only recently came to the attention of scientists. It belonged to a member of a community that lived in northeast Asia. The skull was that of a male who died at last 146,000 years ago, scientists said. “Dragon Man” is the English translation of the Mandarin name given to the ancient human.

“What you have here is a separate branch of humanity that is not on its way to becoming Homo sapiens (our species), but represents a long-separate lineage which evolved in the region for several hundred thousand years and eventually went extinct,” Professor Chris Stringer from London’s Natural History Museum told BBC News. National Geographic reported that the skull has ignited debate among scientists about whether it in fact belongs to a new species in the human evolutionary tree.

Yet the proposed grouping and species designation is stirring debate among scientists. Some experts see tantalizing hints that the Dragon Man may have ties to the mysterious Denisovans, a sister group of the Neanderthals for which scant fossil remains have been found—a few teeth, a fractured piece of skull, a pinky bone, and perhaps a broken jaw.

The skull was discovered by a worker who was part of the team constructing the bridge in Harbin. That worker hid the discovery for decades in a well. Before his death the worker alerted his grandchildren to his discovery. The family went to the well and found the skull in 2018, then turned it over to scientists.

Meet the "Dragon Man." This exquisitely preserved skull was hidden in an abandoned well for more than 80 years. Now some scientists think we are gazing into the eye sockets of a new human species.

I dig into the debate in my latest @NatGeo! #FossilFriday https://t.co/gMqEpl1qPb

— Dr. Maya Wei-Haas (@WeiPoints) June 25, 2021

A BBC report contained an artist’s rendering of what Dragon Man may have looked like in life:

Xijun Ni: "The results will spark a lot of debate and I am quite sure that a lot of people will disagree with us," he said. "But that is science and it is because we disagree that science progresses."https://t.co/Le3DMmtPyd

— Sam Haselby (@samhaselby) June 26, 2021
Jun 27th, 2021, 8:00 am

Jun 27th, 2021, 12:00 pm

I sometimes get REALLY DEPRESSED reviewing the news these days.
It's always about a global pandemic threatening life as we know it,
protests around the world, stupid politicians, natural disasters,
or some other really bad story.
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

Welcome to The mobi weekly news magazine
IN OTHER NEWS
SUNDAY JUNE 27

What is it?
Here is your chance to become an "ACE REPORTER" for our weekly news magazine.
It is your job to fine weird, funny or "good feel" stories from around the world and share them with our readers in our weekly magazine

How do you play?
Just post a story that you have come across that made you smile, laugh, feel good...
BUT NOTHING DEPRESSING :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

EXAMPLE POST
Naked sunbather chases wild boar through park after it steals his laptop bag
A naked sunbather was seen chasing wild boar through a park after it stole his laptop bag.
Amusing photographs from Germany show the man running after the animal to try and claim the plastic bag back.
But the cheeky boar and its two piglets appear to be too quick for the sunbather, who can't keep up with their speedy little trotters.
As the incident unfolds, groups of friends and family sat on the grass watch on and laugh.
Heads are seen turning in surprise and amusement in the hilarious photographs.
The incident happened at Teufelssee Lake - a bathing spot in the Grunwell Forest in Berlin, Germany.

Rules:
Each Edition of IN OTHER NEWS will be open for 7 days...
You can post as many stories as you like, but you will only get paid for One Story in any 24 hour period
So in other words, you can only earn WRZ$ once a day.
Each news day will start when I post announcing it
OR at:
9:00 AM CHICAGO TIME (UTC -5)
2:00 PM GMT (UTC -0)

on those days I space out and forget to post or can't due to Real Life :lol:
Stories may be accompanied with images - but No big images, please! 800x800 pixels wide maximum
Videos are allowed, but please keep them short, and post a short summary for those that don't like to click on videos
No Duplicate stories - Where a post has been edited resulting in duplicates, then the last one in time gets disallowed.
And please limit this to reasonably family friendly stories :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reward:
Each news story posted that I feel is acceptable (must be a real story, too few words or simply a headline are not considered acceptable) will earn you 50 WRZ$
If you post multiple stories on any given day, you will only earn 50 WRZ$ for the first story of the Day
All payments will be made at THE END of the weekly news cycle.
Special Bonus - Each week I will award "The Pulitzer Prize" for the best story of the week
The weekly winner of the "The Pulitzer Prize" will receive a 100 WRZ$ bonus
It's just my personal opinion, so my judgement is final

So help bring GOOD news to the members of mobi, and join our reporting team...

IN OTHER NEWS

Jun 27th, 2021, 12:00 pm

Jun 27th, 2021, 12:06 pm
Scientific reproduction could save northern white rhino from extinction

There are only two northern white rhinos that remain alive today. Both of these rhinos are infertile females but an international effort to help bring this species back from the edge is at hand.

Nine rhino embryos are currently in production at the Wildlife Reproduction Medicine board at the University of Berlin and the team of scientists is under enormous pressure to birth a calf before the remaining females perish.

Dr. Thomas Hildebrandt Head of the Department for Reproduction Management at the Leibniz Institute for Zoo and Wildlife Research said in a radio interview with Patricia Karvelas on the RN Drive he is confident that they will be able to save the species from extinction.

It is vital that these calves are birthed while the two female rhinos are still alive, as this will allow the calves a better chance to adapt and to learn how to live as northern white rhinos.

‘The next step is the embryo transfer and to make sure that the pregnancy will be safe and successful,’ said Hildebrandt.

Once the rhino is born and is on the ground, the genetic diversity of the northern white rhino population will be increased by stem cell technology, and to make this a successful step, Hildebrandt and his team are working very intensively with their Japanese and German colleagues.

He also expressed that working closely with the last of this species is a privilege, especially because he had always dreamed of becoming a veterinarian.

The scientists have set themselves a deadline and are looking at birthing a rhino calf in the next two to three years, and 15 to 20 years to have an entire population.

Source
Jun 27th, 2021, 12:06 pm

Jun 27th, 2021, 12:34 pm
Adorable Basil the Beagle is the UK's first 'pawbearer' and funeral therapy dog

Basil is said to have a 'special sense' of what is needed when working as a 'Comfort Companion' to grieving and distressed families in Shrewsbury

Anyone with a dog will know they have an amazing ability to know when something is up, but for one clever Beagle it's not just a clever quirk - it's his job.

Beautiful Basil, who is 11, has a starring role as a ‘Comfort Companion’ at Clive Pugh Funeral Directors in Shrewsbury, sitting beside grieving families when they make funeral plans, accompanying mourners to the chapel of rest while they visit their loved ones and even attending funerals in churches and crematoriums.

His owner Rosalinda says he has a special sense of what is needed when people are suffering from the loss of a loved one and since he’s been working as a therapy dog for the last five years, has helped comfort hundreds of grieving families going through difficult times.

Rosalinda explains: “Human beings can, understandably, feel uncomfortable when dealing with grief and loss. Basil follows the lead of service dogs often used in health care settings, such as hospitals and nursing homes.

“When families are arranging the funeral of their loved, their minds tend to be all over the place. Basil is very perceptive and seems to know that they need to be comforted and as such will sit beside them letting them pat him and stroke him. You can really feel the tension leaving the room."

This kind of support is vital and families often remark on how helpful having Basil has been for them.

“He is a real ice-breaker. He greets people when they arrive and he automatically seems to put people at ease. It feels almost normal for them to be able to stroke a dog. If people come with young children, he helps distract them too so they can fuss him while their parents make arrangements," says Rosalinda.

“We affectionately call Basil our ‘Comfort Companion.’ He provides families with unconditional love and support, as well as a subtle distraction from grief. When you have lost a loved one, sometimes it seems like nothing can make you feel better. That is, until you get a cuddle from a therapy dog. We hope that for those experiencing grief when they come to us, having Basil will put smiles on their faces, at least for a moment. It’s just something to lighten the load of that journey.”
Jun 27th, 2021, 12:34 pm

Twitter: Fatima99@fatima99_mobi
Jun 27th, 2021, 1:41 pm
'Please don't leave me': Boy trapped in Florida condo rubble rescued by man walking dog

Nicholas Balboa was walking his dog around midnight when he felt the ground shake. The rumble was followed by a loud crash and debris as part of a condo complex collapsed in Surfside, Florida.

“At first I thought it was a thunderstorm but then I felt a shake and I knew thunder doesn't make the ground shake,” Balboa told USA TODAY. “I knew it wasn't normal so I decided to figure out what was going on."

Balboa said it was "eerily quiet" as he and another person approached piles of concrete and metal. Police and first responders had not yet arrived when Balboa heard a scream.
Balboa said he spotted little fingers pop out through the broken concrete and heard a boy's voice say, "Can somebody see me?"

He climbed over rubble to reach the boy, later identified as Jonah Handler.

“He was just saying, 'Please don’t leave me, please don’t leave me.' I told him: 'We’re not gonna go anywhere. We’re staying,'" Balboa said.

Balboa said the boy evidently had been sleeping when the building collapsed because he was found underneath a mattress and bed frame, News Nation Now reported. Balboa used the his phones flashlight to get the attention of police officers, who eventually pulled him to safety.

Balboa said the boy's mother was not immediately found. Relatives on Friday announced the death of Stacie Fang, Jonah's mother, in a statement.

“There are no words to describe the tragic loss of our beloved Stacie," the statement said.

Recently, Balboa's mother died so he said he understands the loss Jonah just experienced.

"I know what that that loss feels like, but especially in this situation, it's just so much worse than anyone can possibly imagine," Balboa said.

Balboa said he rushed to help because he felt "something had to be done" although he wishes he could've done more.

"I wish I wasn't just wearing flip flops so I could've gotten closer to him or looked for his mom more. I knew something had to be done so I helped, but I wish I could've helped his mother and others too," Balboa said.

Early Thursday, the 12-story beachfront condominium building just north of Miami collapsed, killing at least four people. As of Friday, 159 people remained unaccounted for. Among those missing were Orthodox Jews from Russia, Argentine Americans and the sister of Paraguay's first lady.

Late Thursday, a lawsuit was filed on behalf of nearby property owner and various victims seeking more than $5 million in damages. The suit filed against against the Champlain Towers South Condominium Association Inc. alleges the condominium did not repair structural problems and failed to prevent the collapse.
Jun 27th, 2021, 1:41 pm

Jun 27th, 2021, 1:52 pm
A Rose Inspired This Design For the Smartest Way to Collect And Purify Water

The rose may be one of the most iconic symbols of the fragility of love in popular culture, but now the flower could hold more than just symbolic value.

A new device for collecting and purifying water, developed at The University of Texas at Austin, was inspired by a rose and, while more engineered than enchanted, is a dramatic improvement on current methods.

Each flower-like structure costs less than two cents to make and can produce more than half a gallon of water per hour per square meter.

A team led by associate professor Donglei Fan developed a new approach to solar steaming for water production—a technique that uses energy from sunlight to separate salt and other impurities from water through evaporation.

The authors of the study outline how an origami rose provided the inspiration for developing a new kind of solar-steaming system made from layered, black paper sheets shaped into petals. Attached to a stem-like tube that collects untreated water from any water source, the 3D rose shape makes it easier for the structure to collect and retain more liquid.

Current solar-steaming technologies are usually expensive, bulky and produce limited results. The team’s method uses inexpensive materials that are portable and lightweight. Oh, and it also looks just like a black-petaled rose in a glass jar.

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/a-rose- ... tin-texas/
Jun 27th, 2021, 1:52 pm
Jun 27th, 2021, 2:08 pm
16-year-old becomes youngest University of Toronto graduate in at least 40 years

TORONTO -- A 16-year-old girl has become the youngest person to graduate from the University of Toronto’s Faculty of Art and Sciences in at least 40 years.

Before entering post-secondary school, Vivian Xie skipped several grades, completing Grade 10 over a single summer.

When asked how she did it, she told CP24 on Friday it took “a lot of advocating with the school and the school board and the entire education system, actually.”

"After the first grade, it got much harder to skip grades,” she said.

Her post-secondary journey began at the University of Prince Edward Island, before transferring to U of T, where she graduated with a double major in biology, and cell and molecular biology.

“Most of it was online, but at first it was definitely challenging,” Xie said of her final year.

She said, once she enrolled in university, her age wasn’t much of a sticking point.

“After high school, it became a lot less noticeable to my classmates and my peers, and even to myself. I started forgetting my own age, so my last four years of university have actually been extremely normal,” she said.

“You could even call it mundane.”

In the fall, Xie will pursue her masters in applied immunology at U of T's Faculty of Medicine.

Despite her field of study, Xie said she considers herself more of a “humanities person.”

“I think my most difficult-to-grasp subject would be physics with math. I used to be really good at math when I was younger, but right now I'm definitely not a math buff,” she said.

She hasn’t quite yet decided where her studies will take her, however.

“I'm currently still deciding between academia and more industry science approach.”

As far as her advice for her fellow teens, Xie advised them to keep their options open.

“I think my biggest advice is that you should definitely take your time when making these big decisions,” she said.

“Definitely start thinking about that early because your university experiences are affected a lot by the type of university that you're attending, not just the subject that you take.”
Jun 27th, 2021, 2:08 pm

Jun 27th, 2021, 3:39 pm
Woman wins $200,000 after store sells out of favorite lottery ticket

A North Carolina woman said she wouldn't have won her $200,000 lottery jackpot if her local store hadn't been sold out of her favorite scratch-off ticket.

Joanne Pacheco, of Durham, told North Carolina Education Lottery officials she was at the Lakeland Street Mini Mart in Durham when she found out the store was sold out of the scratch-off game she wanted.

"They didn't have my tickets," Pacheco recalled. "So, I said, 'Just give me four of those.'"

Pacheco took her stack of scratch-off tickets, the recently launched 7 game, home and discovered one was a $200,000 winner.

"I was sitting on my bed, thinking I can't believe this is real," Pacheco said.

The winner said the money will come as a big help after she recently moved to North Carolina from New Hampshire to be closer to her son.

"I'm gonna live happily for the rest of my life," she said. "That's all that matters to me."
Jun 27th, 2021, 3:39 pm
Jun 27th, 2021, 5:11 pm
Postcard delivered to councillor with picture of his own face used as stamp

The leader of Leeds City Council has been sent a postcard with a photo of his own face used as a stamp.

The picture of James Lewis was franked by Royal Mail, an official mark to show that postage does not need to be paid.

This suggests someone at the post depot will have looked at the Leeds United fan’s photo, thought nothing of it, and gave it the all-clear.

Sharing the delivery on Twitter, Cllr Lewis said: ‘A resident has stuck a small picture of my face where a postage stamp should go on a post card and Royal Mail have franked and delivered it to me.’

His followers cracked plenty of jokes, with one saying: ‘Now, according to some arcane rule, James is now the ruling Monarch.’

One suggested it’d make him the ‘King of Leeds’ at the very least, while another said his face now counted as legal tender.

Another follower added: ‘Bit worried James Lewis might be summonsed to the Palace for involuntary treason but first class response from Royal Mail.’

Someone pointed out that ‘very technically’, using his photo in this way could be an offence under Section 65 (fictitious stamps) of the Post Office Act 1908.

One follower suggested the sender used Cllr Lewis’ face because they thought his work is ‘is always first class’.

When someone told him ‘you do have regal countenance’, Cllr Lewis responded: ‘That’s the nicest thing anyone has said to me all year.’

In 2019 pictures emerged of forged stamps showing Labour politician Diane Abbott’s face on them.

A postal worker in London told Metro.co.uk at the time that these counterfeit stamps were making their way through the network, meaning they’d slipped through the net at the post office.

At the time a Royal Mail spokesperson said: ‘It is a crime to create or use counterfeit stamps. Royal Mail takes the necessary steps to protect stamp revenues which help fund the Universal Postal Service which serves the UK’s 30 million households and businesses.

‘We will seek to prosecute where we find someone has created counterfeit stamps or knowingly sold used stamps for re-use. This matter is being investigated by our Security team.’
Jun 27th, 2021, 5:11 pm

Believe me, you are someone's crush. Yes, you are!
Jun 27th, 2021, 6:24 pm
Dive team finds lost iPhone with alarm still sounding in Idaho river

June 25 (UPI) -- A search and rescue dive team in Idaho recovered an iPhone that had been dropped into a river three days earlier -- and the alarm was still sounding.

Tom Adams said he and his wife, Marlo, were kayaking on the Snake River when his boat overturned near the Tilden Bridge Boat Ramp, causing him to lose his phone, keys, wallet and fishing pole into the fast-moving waters.

Adams ended up contacting the Bingham County Search and Rescue Dive Team, which agreed to help look for his lost property as a training exercise.

"They use opportunities like this to practice and get more dive time in to prepare for the real calls, and more important events such as lifesaving," Adams told the East Idaho News. "Many members of the dive team met at the boat ramp, geared up, and hit the water. Because of the current, they had to use a safety line."

Adams said it took about 20 minutes of searching before one of the divers surfaced with his keys and his iPhone -- which was still sounding an alarm.

"It was still alarming from my Sunday morning wake-up call reminder," Adams said.

Adams said the team was also able to recover his fishing pole.

A pair of German men recently recovered a dropped iPhone from a Berlin canal. Frederik Riedel said his friend dropped his phone into the canal and attempted to find it by hand, but came out only with a Nintendo Switch.

Riedel said he and his friend ended up attaching some magnets to the end of a fishing pole and were able to find the iPhone, which still worked, thanks to its MagSafe ring, which is designed to help with wireless charging.
Jun 27th, 2021, 6:24 pm

Jun 27th, 2021, 6:36 pm
The Oldest Wine in Europe Was Just Discovered in Greece

Ancient grape seeds confirm that Greeks have been drinking wine for millennia.

The Department of History and Archaeology of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki recently presented research that indicates that making and drinking wine in Europe originates from prehistoric Greece.

Thousands of ancient grape seeds and pomace were found in ancient Philippi house whose contents were preserved in a fire that occurred in 4300 B.C.

The Aristotle University of Thessaloniki Department of Archaeology has been conducting archaeobotanical research for the last twenty years. The research began with the use of archeological flotation, an archaeobotanical sampling technique where an archaeological deposit is placed in a flotation tank with water that dissolves the deposit until fragments of plants and other material float to the top.

Sultana-Maria Valamoti, professor of Prehistoric Archaeology, director of the Laboratory for Interdisciplinary Research in Archaeology/ EDAE and the PlantCult Laboratory at the Center for Interdisciplinary Research and Innovation of the AUTH, said that “These first steps were the starting point that led to today’s findings.

“Thousands of liters of soil have been processed by the method of flotation and a variety of archaeological sites have already been or are being researched archaeobotanically.

“Thanks to the work done at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, this data, often neglected by research, provides a wealth of information on the social and economic organization in northern Greece, the daily activities of people, their farming and agricultural practices, as well as specific symbolic activities from the 7th to the 1st millennium BC” Valamoti added.

University has been researching prehistoric Greece for decades
The Aristotle University of Thessaloniki Department of Archeology, who conducted the research and where Valamoti is a professor of prehistoric archaeology, has been at the vanguard of archeological research in Greece.

For years the department was led by George Hourmouziadis, the former Professor Emeritus of prehistoric archaeology, who led excavations in many prehistoric settlements in Thessaly and Macedonia (such as Dimini, Arkadikos and Dramas, etc.)

In 1992 he started the excavation of the neolithic lakeside settlement of Dispilio in Kastoria, Northwestern Greece. A myriad of items were discovered, which included ceramics, structural elements, seeds, bones, figurines, personal ornaments, three flutes (considered the oldest in Europe) and the Dispilio Tablet.

The discovery of the wooden tablet was announced at a symposium in February 1994 at the University of Thessaloniki. The site’s paleoenvironment, botany, fishing techniques, tools and ceramics were published informally in the June 2000 issue of Eptakiklos, a Greek archaeology magazine.

“I speak and I write using the soil as raw material… this soil is not similar to that which we put in our pots every autumn. It is the soil of a strange garden, a garden where, thousands of years before, people like us, walked on the marks of their toil, anger, and of their rush and calm which they left behind. They left the footprints of their lives,” he noted on the occasion of the publication of his book “Logia kai Coma (Words and Soil).”

Hourmouziadis passed away in 2013.
Jun 27th, 2021, 6:36 pm
Jun 27th, 2021, 7:52 pm

Are you a workaholic or a thrill-seeker? Scientists say it may depend on when you wake up as morning larks are more self-disciplined but night owls chase excitement

Researchers assessed the 'chronotypes' of more than 2,000 adults
Your chronotype is a natural inclination of your body to sleep at a certain time
Results revealed night owls seek excitement but early risers have self-discipline

By Jonathan Chadwick

Published: 12:09 EDT, 22 June 2021 | Updated: 12:09 EDT, 22 June 2021

If you're more of a morning person than a night person, you're more likely to be blessed with self-discipline, a new study claims.

Conversely, if you're a night owl and prefer to get up late and go to bed late, you're more likely to seek out excitement.

Researchers investigated a person's chronotype – a propensity to sleep at a certain time – and how this was related to personality traits.

What time you get up and go to sleep is partly due to genetic factors, say the study authors, who are from the University of Warwick and the University of Tartu, Estonia.

Despite this, there is scope to change your sleep patterns if you wanted to become a morning person but are currently an evening person, or vice versa.
A night owl struggles to get up in the morning, feels more productive in the evening and tends to get to bed in the small hours (stock image)
+2

'Not only have we shown there is a relationship between chronotype, personality and partially your genes, our findings also suggest that it might be possible to change your chronotype or at least train yourself into a different more socially convenient sleep pattern by increasing your self-control,' said study author Professor Anu Realo, from the Department of Psychology at the University of Warwick.

A typical example of a morning person – commonly called a 'morning lark' – is thought to be someone who wakes up naturally at 6am, goes for a jog, showers, has breakfast and is ready for a productive day at work by 9am, the authors say.

An evening person, meanwhile, struggles to get up in the morning, feels more productive in the evening and tends to get to bed in the small hours.

'This, of course, is an exaggerated example, but there is truth behind this generalisation,' the team say in their paper.

For their study, the researchers used data on 2,515 Estonian adults, 59 per cent of whom were female, all with an average age of 45 years.

The researchers asked them to answer questionnaires about their sleep timings and personality factors, including the Big Five personality traits.

The 'Big Five' – openness, conscientiousness, extraversion, agreeableness and neuroticism – are the best accepted and most commonly used model of personality in academic psychology.
According to a psychological trait theory developed in the 1980s called the big five, human behaviour is comprised of five personality traits that form the acronym OCEAN – openness, conscientiousness, extraversion, agreeableness and neuroticism
+2

THE BIG FIVE MODEL

The big five model is the most widely accepted personality theory held by psychologists today.

The theory states that personality can be boiled down to five core factors, known by the acronym OCEAN:

- Openness to experience (inventive/curious vs. consistent/cautious)

- Conscientiousness (efficient/organised vs. extravagant/careless)

- Extraversion (outgoing/energetic vs. solitary/reserved)

- Agreeableness (friendly/compassionate vs. critical/rational)

- Neuroticism (sensitive/nervous vs. resilient/confident)

Source: Simply Psychology/Open Psychometrics
Advertisement

The participants' personalities were also assessed by someone who knew the participant well.

Genetic correlations were obtained through summary statistics of genome-wide association studies.

Results showed that higher conscientiousness and lower openness to experience were significant predictors of an earlier chronotype – i.e. people who got up earlier.

Meanwhile, more straightforward and excitement-seeking people were more likely to have later chronotypes – so more likely to go to bed later.

However, those with later chronotypes were also less self-disciplined than those with earlier chronotypes.

'Self-discipline in particular may influence chronotype through shaping people's preferences for various social activities and behaviours which in turn, may influence what time people go to and get out of bed,' said study author Dr Anita Lenneis, from the Department of Psychology at the University of Warwick.

'However, it could also be that chronotype influences personality or that chronotype and personality mutually influence each other.

'The findings of the genetic correlations support this view but further studies will be necessary to better understand the shared genetic mechanisms between the two constructs as well as the causality of their relationships.'

Researchers have also provided some advice for all the night owls who want to become morning larks.

'Regularly turning off the lights at earlier hours might also lead to falling asleep at earlier hours of the evening,' said Professor Realo.

'However, future studies will need to investigate whether such interventions to enhance self-control would result in a permanent change or would indeed promote better health in later chronotypes.'

The study has been published in the Journal of Personality.
Waking up just one HOUR earlier could reduce your risk of depression by 23%, study finds

Waking up just one hour earlier could reduce the risk of depression by 23 per cent, a genetic study shows.

Researchers at University of Colorado Boulder analysed the genetic data of nearly 840,000 adults of European ancestry.

They found a link between earlier sleep timing patterns – getting up and going to bed early – and lower risk of a 'major depressive disorder'.

It's possible that the greater exposure to light during the day results in 'a cascade of hormonal impacts' that can influence mood.

'We have known for some time that there is a relationship between sleep timing and mood,' said study author Celine Vetter, an assistant professor of integrative physiology at CU Boulder.

'But a question we often hear from clinicians is, "how much earlier do we need to shift people to see a benefit?"

'We found that even one-hour earlier sleep timing is associated with significantly lower risk of depression.'

For those wanting to shift themselves to an earlier sleep schedule, Vetter says: 'Keep your days bright and your nights dark.

'Have your morning coffee on the porch. Walk or ride your bike to work if you can, and dim those electronics in the evening.'

Read more: Waking up one hour earlier 'could reduce risk of depression by 23%'
Jun 27th, 2021, 7:52 pm
Jun 27th, 2021, 8:51 pm
'Banned' sex doll race goes ahead anyway as hundreds flock to raunchy event
Possibly the world's weirdest challenge returned on Saturday as 500 people tried straddling sex dolls down a river, in a chaotic race to the finishing line in Russia

Blow-up sex dolls were lined up on a Russian river for the comeback edition of a bizarre race which has been banned for nine years.

Around 500 people mounted inflatable partners to float down the Losevsky Rapids on the Vuoksi River in Leningrad region.

Dangerously high water levels led the authorities to ban the annual competition in 2012 with repairs also being made to a bridge over it.

But men and women ignored the red tape to hilariously wade through the water on dolls, despite claims the authorities found “administrative reasons” to forbid the racy event.

Spiralling Covid-19 infection and death rates, with officials increasingly concerned about mass gatherings added extra pressure on forbidding the sport.

Far from throwing safety concerns completely out the window, entrants to the Bubble Baba Challenge must comply with a few basic rules.

Participants must be over 16, able to swim, and sober - they undergo an alcohol test before taking part, say organisers.

Ahead of the contest, there were complaints of traffic problems as cyclists rode to the event carrying the inflatable dolls on their bikes.

“It’s a highlight of the summer,” said one male swimmer clutching his sex doll.

Baba in Russian can mean "country woman”, but is sometimes used in a sexually derogatory way.

The organisers traditionally buy sex dolls in bulk ahead of the event then rent them out to those taking part.

Founder Dmitry Bulavinov had said the race originated "as a joke at a party where the men got drunk and the women didn't show up”.

A translation of the official Bubble Baba Challenge website reads: "We are talking about rafting along a rapids river (Losevsky threshold, Leningrad region) on inflatable rubber women, or, more simply, about swimming on waves and breakers on aunts from a sex shop.

"The Bubble Baba Challenge 2021 is reborn! And they will be held on Saturday, June 26, 2021, in the same place as always - on the Losevsky threshold. All this will take place within the framework of the (also revived) water festival "Vuoksa - Change of Generations 2021" , which turns 50 this year

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/banned-sex-doll-race-goes-24406999
Jun 27th, 2021, 8:51 pm
Jun 28th, 2021, 4:10 am
Welcome To Froggyland, The Croatian Taxidermy Museum That May Soon Come To The U.S.
June 10, 20214:12 PM ET *

[click below to play]

Ivan Medvesek stands in front of one of 21 dioramas in his Froggyland museum. On display is the work of Ferenc Mere, a Hungarian taxidermist who created these exhibits more than a century ago. Medvesek's parents purchased the displays after they were left behind in an attic in what is now Serbia in 1970. After losing revenue in the pandemic, Medvesek says he's selling Froggyland to U.S. investors.
Rob Schmitz/NPR

SPLIT, Croatia — There's a lot of hype surrounding Froggyland. The brochure for the museum, located outside the walls of Split's ancient palace built for the 4th century Roman Emperor Diocletian, declares: "Froggyland and first love will never be forgotten!"

On the travel website Tripadvisor, Froggyland has 644 reviews, six times more than the local fine art museum and twice that of the city's world-renowned archaeological museum. It even outperforms the "Game of Thrones" museum; parts of the series were filmed nearby.

Most of the reviews have five stars, like this one:

"Froggytastic!!! Probably the best stuffed frog museum I have ever visited."

The sounds of a lily pad pond piped through outdoor speakers greet visitors. Inside, it's quiet, because the 507 frogs on display have been dead for more than a century. But they look very much alive, thanks to the work of Ferenc Mere, a mustached Hungarian taxidermist who lived from 1878 to 1947 and spent 10 of his years catching frogs, killing them and stuffing them — before arranging them into a variety of exhibits that showed them living out human lives.

Somehow his frogs ended up in what's now Serbia, from where they eventually made their way to their permanent home in Split, along Croatia's Adriatic coast — where they've been examined by thousands of curiosity seekers over the past decade.

Taxidermy was all the rage in the early 20th century, and anthropomorphic displays were a popular way to exhibit the evolving science and art of this practice. Mere arranged his frogs into 21 dioramas capturing typical human scenes from a century ago: a classroom with a froggy teacher trying to restore order among naughty froggy students; a couple of them hitting each other with rulers and one balancing a miniature pencil on his froggy nose.

A Froggyland display shows taxidermized frogs doing what they do best: diving and swimming in a pool.
Rob Schmitz/NPR

In another exhibit, a couple dozen frogs ballroom dance to the music of an amphibian band, while several others smoke, drink and play billiards and poker with tiny cards.

All of this was too much for one Tripadvisor reviewer who punished the museum with a single star in a review titled "Disgusting display of animal cruelty": "Yes, let's kill thousands of frogs for art and ask people 'did you have fun' at the end of it...Go if you have no soul."

Most of the museum's worst reviews echo this one, and Froggyland owner Ivan Medvesek typically takes the time to write back. He explains that his museum displays taxidermy, which was popular a century ago, when these frogs were stuffed. And if you're against cruelty to animals, he asks, why bother visiting?

After my own visit to Froggyland, I meet Medvesek, who goes by the nickname "Boss Itzo." The burly, somber-looking businessman seems a little worn out by Froggyland, possibly because it was foisted on him by his parents.

"Fifty years ago, someone left these frogs behind in an attic in Serbia, and my parents bought them," he says with a frown. "At first, they had a little traveling museum and then they opened this." Years later, Froggyland was passed down to him.

Medvesek's disposition brightens when he shows me how none of the frogs have incisions. It's an expert level of taxidermy requiring removal of the innards from the frogs' mouths before carefully replacing them with cork and sawdust to help preserve their corpses.

Medvesek says the people who most appreciate Froggyland are American and British tourists. Croatians aren't into it.

"Locals don't like my museum," he says with a chuckle. "They'd rather eat frogs than see them in a museum."

A Froggyland diorama shows a teacher trying to control a class in which students are hitting each other with rulers, arriving late to class and balancing pencils on their noses. Each diorama displays anthropomorphized frogs in human scenes of the early 20th century.
Rob Schmitz/NPR

Ticket sales were soaring before the pandemic. Froggyland had 50,000 visitors in 2019, a record year for tourism in Croatia. Since the pandemic, numbers plummeted to just a few thousand.

And that's why he will not pass down Froggyland to the next generation of Medveseks.

"It's no longer profitable," he says. "And investors in America really want to buy it."

He won't disclose who's buying Froggyland, but he hopes the museum will continue to inspire people like Crispy C, a Tripadvisor contributor who gave Froggyland five stars last July, during the height of the pandemic.

"Sometimes a mirror of society works best to contemplate and understand your own life, existence, and purpose of life," he writes. "Froggyland is exactly that mirror."

Medvesek says he's not sure what he'll do after he retires. For now, he's happy Froggyland is bound for the U.S., where he believes people will fully appreciate it.
Jun 28th, 2021, 4:10 am