Have fun, win prizes, participate in our contests!
Feb 11th, 2019, 4:05 pm
Erinmore wrote: but there are many who can put in 20 mins a day so let them run just one contest at that same time every day.

I just want to add my two cents...
20 minutes a day to run a contest??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I WISH :lol: :lol: :lol:
Feb 11th, 2019, 4:05 pm

Feb 11th, 2019, 5:13 pm
rita13 wrote:
melanthiabast wrote:Wait until there are double donatewards or missing donatewards, or the person doing the donatwarding skipped someone but isn't sure who they skipped - the contest host will spend a good bit of time squinting through transaction logs to make sure every one of their players gets a fair reward.

How often does this happen?

A. LOT.
This happens a lot. :?
Feb 11th, 2019, 5:13 pm
Feb 11th, 2019, 6:59 pm
I think the contest team is doing a great job! :D We don’t see all of the “behind the scenes” work that’s done, because, well, it’s behind the scenes :lol:
We see the finished product!

My thanks to all of the contest mods, assistants, etc. who give freely of their time for our entertainment and fun.
Feb 11th, 2019, 6:59 pm

Feb 11th, 2019, 8:00 pm
Amill wrote:A. LOT.

Ok. But users have volunteered thousands of times. If it's more headache than it's worth, then why not find a different way to donate rewards?

Remember what Einstein probably didn't say about insanity? :lol:
Feb 11th, 2019, 8:00 pm
Feb 11th, 2019, 10:38 pm
rita13 wrote: , then why not find a different way to donate rewards?

And your solution is what, my little agent provocateur? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Volunteers are a valued members of contests. They do save the mods time although I will admit mistakes may occur which have to be corrected by the mods.
Only mods have unlimited access to WRZ$ and at present they calculate the amount to be distributed and transfer that amount to the volunteer.
Before that system the individual mod did all the rewarding on their own. :shock:

I suppose I could create an account , dump say 5 million WRZ$ in it, then publish the name & password with a message to members to help themselves to the only the exact amount they were due. Hmm wonder how that would work out :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Ah well time to listen to my song again.

Feb 11th, 2019, 10:38 pm
Feb 11th, 2019, 11:34 pm
Amill wrote:
rita13 wrote:
melanthiabast wrote:Wait until there are double donatewards or missing donatewards, or the person doing the donatwarding skipped someone but isn't sure who they skipped - the contest host will spend a good bit of time squinting through transaction logs to make sure every one of their players gets a fair reward.

How often does this happen?

A. LOT.

I don’t know the others, but during my about 290 times donatewarding, I had one time forgot to do the donatewarding and forced the moderator’s hands to do it on my behalf (and I’m really sorry about that), two times made double donation to the winners (one time I pm the winner to ask s/he to donate back to me but no response so far, and I didn’t ask moderator to do something about that because it is my own stupidity; another time the winner is kind enough to donate back to me and point out that I made the double donation)

Never skipped any winners because I counted the numbers of winners I had already donated in the process so as to match with the total numbers of the winners. (or they didn’t pm me if I do :lol: )
I had two times where the other volunteers didn’t donate WRZ$ to me, but they reported in the thread that they finished the donatewarding. Then I pm them, and they donated back to me. Without us bothering any moderators.

My point is if you aware that you did something wrong during the donatewarding, you can pm the winners to sort this out first. If you don’t even remember who you do wrong, suck it up and own your consequences :lol: then maybe next time you will be paying more attention when doing the job.

If you are the receiver of the rewards and realised that the volunteers have skipped you / donated the incorrect amount / made the double donation, please speak up and pm the volunteers to let them know it is you who have been done wrong by them :lol: one step from your side, then save the volunteers from the headaches and the moderators needless to do the hassle, why not :)
Feb 11th, 2019, 11:34 pm
Feb 12th, 2019, 12:19 am
:oops: never thought that my not pointing out i didn't get the reward might make someone else's job harder. i just didn't consider it to be a big problem since it happened rarely and i have had more than enough wrz$ to make any requests i needed in the past....
Feb 12th, 2019, 12:19 am
Feb 12th, 2019, 12:35 am
sherlockx wrote:
rita13 wrote: , then why not find a different way to donate rewards?

And your solution is what, my little agent provocateur? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Volunteers are a valued members of contests. They do save the mods time although I will admit mistakes may occur which have to be corrected by the mods.
Only mods have unlimited access to WRZ$ and at present they calculate the amount to be distributed and transfer that amount to the volunteer.
Before that system the individual mod did all the rewarding on their own. :shock:

I suppose I could create an account , dump say 5 million WRZ$ in it, then publish the name & password with a message to members to help themselves to the only the exact amount they were due. Hmm wonder how that would work out :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Ah well time to listen to my song again.

This song... will give me nightmares for months.

Depends. If it's a rare occurrence, then there's no problem to solve. Everyone makes mistakes.

If, on the other hand, it's a big problem and it wastes mods' time instead of helping them, then:

1. Either let only trusted, regular users do the rewarding. Maybe VIP users who spend a long time participating in the contests, and so are less likely to make mistakes

2. Or, keep track of the mistakes volunteers make, and if they continue to cause problems, then they're out. Sorry guys, but business is business :lol:
Feb 12th, 2019, 12:35 am
Feb 12th, 2019, 12:59 am
I think everyone needs to remember one thing... WE ARE ALL HUMAN AND WE MAKE MISTAKES... except for sherly, we aren't sure what he is...and remember...we as moderators don't make mistakes, we are just seeing who is paying attention :lol:

If you make a mistake.. OWN IT
If you know someone else has made a mistake...be nice to them and send them a gentle pm (you are not perfect yourself)

We prefer you try and work out the reward errors yourself first, if at any point you can't, then contact us for assistance. Your rewards are yours, if you earned it you deserve it, but the volunteer may have no clue they missed you, contact them and politely ask about it, if it does not get resolved within a day or 2 then contact us (remember they may also be waiting for a response from us).
Some people actually don't care if they get the reward or not..see above post..thank you mobilitic, you just made me smile :D
If you overpay someone, it is your responsibility to ask for it back, if they do not send it back, then you contact us.

Some of you have done things to make it easier to now if you made a mistake or not.. how about sharing those ideas with others so they may also benefit from that knowledge.

Not once did we ever say our volunteers wasted our time...

As sherlockx stated above, we value our volunteers immensely, they make it so we can focus more on doing what everyone would like us to do... post contests for you to enjoy. We could care less if its your 1000th or 1st volunteer job, or if you already did 5 volunteer jobs that day.. you are a valuable resource for us.. and sorry no, there will never be a VIP or "short" list for volunteers. Everyone is treated the same and will be given the same opportunities as everyone else. Sometimes we only get 1 volunteer for a contest, or we wait for while until we get a volunteer, restricting that to a certain list of people is not an option and never will be an option.

Volunteers the world over volunteer because they enjoy lending a helping hand... and surprisingly most of them have no ulterior motive, so as a volunteer myself I just want to say THANK YOU, thank you to every one of you that takes the time to lend us that hand. Please don't ever let anyone else tell you any different, WE value you more than you know. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Feb 12th, 2019, 12:59 am
Feb 12th, 2019, 2:25 am
johngriffen wrote:
Erinmore wrote: but there are many who can put in 20 mins a day so let them run just one contest at that same time every day.

I just want to add my two cents...
20 minutes a day to run a contest??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I WISH :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fixating on a number does nothing. except miss the whole point of the post. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Which is
Get more people and utilize whatever time they can give.
Feb 12th, 2019, 2:25 am
Feb 12th, 2019, 3:12 am
I didn't "miss the whole point"...
The real point is that running contests isn't as "easy" as you are implying.
Your 20 minute "number" implies that that it is an easy task that won't take too much time out of a person's day.
Believe me when I say it isn't.
The amount of work that the contest managers/assistants put in is unbelievable.
And that's the real point being made :D
Feb 12th, 2019, 3:12 am

Feb 12th, 2019, 3:33 am
I agree with JG.

I've only been a part of the team for a short time but here are two important things I’ve learned so far.

1. There is more to a moderator and assistant’s role than just running contests. Yes, our goal is to keep it an entertaining yet fair section for the users but we also have other responsibilities.

2. Communication and coordination between all team members is crucial. Our contest mods live across the globe, and more importantly, across multiple different time zones. You can well imagine the challenge this poses.

My point is that it isn’t all that simple as “get(ting) more people.” If we’re to work as a team there are other factors to keep in mind as well.
Feb 12th, 2019, 3:33 am

Image@anna1561_mobi Image #contests
Feb 12th, 2019, 3:38 am
rita13 wrote:

How often does this happen? I'm just questioning it because it sounds a little unfair to those who volunteer to pay rewards. I've volunteered myself many times and received so many rewards from different users and only had a wrong donation made to me once. Only once. Some of us keep lists and everything. :D

This is by no means a scientific average or anything, but in about 6 weeks of hosting (mostly) 1 hour long contests it happened to me 3 times.
Two errors were smaller errors and simpler to fix - sorted out in less then 30 minutes; one error was literally a "hot mess" that kept me up until after 2 AM sorting out. To be fair, it was a new volunteer donating for a rather large contest - so it may not have been the best contest to start learning donatwarding on. However, as Ice said - making any kind of "exclusive" list of allowed volunteers is discouraging to others, especially new members.
Step up, volunteer, try your best, and when something happens you need help with - PM the contest host and it will get sorted out.

The point I was trying to make was ... sometimes keeping a contest running smoothly can take more time "behind the scenes" then the actual contest running time.
Feb 12th, 2019, 3:38 am
Feb 12th, 2019, 3:50 am
johngriffen wrote:I didn't "miss the whole point"...
The real point is that running contests isn't as "easy" as you are implying.
Your 20 minute "number" implies that that it is an easy task that won't take too much time out of a person's day.

My 20 minute number is an amount of time which most people can easily give.
As the number gets larger fewer people will come forward.

I've volunteered often, always at a certain time or when I know that the rewarding can be done within 15 minutes. How many here are in the same position?

If the task can't be done in a certain time, break it down and ask 3 people to do it.
Feb 12th, 2019, 3:50 am
Feb 12th, 2019, 3:59 am
Let me make this very clear to everyone, member run contests have been done in the past..and that has now stopped, IF and when we decide to do so again in the future it is a contest team decision, it is not up for debate amongst the members of the forum.

This topic is closed.
Feb 12th, 2019, 3:59 am