Tales From Wonderland: The White Knight
Tales of Army of Darkness
Teen Wolf
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Micro-series
That Hellbound Train
The 120 Days of Simon
The American Way
The Bakers: Do These Toys Belong Somewhere?
The Bakers Meet Jingle Belle
The Biologic Show
The Clockwork Girl
The Discworld Graphic Novels: The Colour of Magic & The Light Fantastic
The Five Fists of Science
The Fourth Power
The Indifference Engine
The Last One
The Life and Times of Savior 28
The Man Who Loved Breasts
The New Deadwardians
The Ninjettes
The Pogostick
The Ray
The Story of a Mother
The Strange Talent of Luther Strode
The Tale of One Bad Rat
Thorgal
Team Zero
Temperance
Tende Freeze!
Term Life
Terminator/Robocop: Kill Human
The Last Phantom
The Sixpenny Murder
The Territory
Terror of Godzilla
The Test
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Theater
Transmetropolitan
The Unknown
The Unknown: The Devil Made Flesh
The Walking Dead
Theodores Sturgeon's More Than Human
Thoughts On A Winter Morning
Time Lincoln
Tokyo Storm Warning
Top Cow Holiday Special
Total Recall
Transformers Autocracy
Transformers Infestation
Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye
Transformers: Tales of the Fallen
Transformers - The Ark
Transformers G.I.Joe
Transformers: Robots In Disguise
Transmetropolitan
The Traveller
Thin Black Line Perspectives on Vince Colletta
Thor: Spotlight
Three Shadows
Torpedo
Trick 'r Treat
Trio Grande: Adios Palomita
Tron: Betrayal
Turok – Son of Stone
Twentieth Century Eightball
Twilight
Twilight Guardian
Two-Step

Jun 7th, 2011, 1:34 pm
Jun 7th, 2011, 7:01 pm

Title: B.P.R.D.: The Dead Remembered (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Mike Mignola (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: The Comic Book Critic (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review:
    B.P.R.D.: The Dead Remembered #1 - In 1976, Trevor from the Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense decides to investigate a haunting in Massachusetts. Hellboy, not keen on ghosts, suggests that he take Liz Sherman along with him on his road trip; she’s been at the B.P.R.D. for a long time without being able to go anywhere. Before she leaves, Hellboy gives her a St. Christopher’s medal to keep her safe on the trip.

Along the way, she takes her pills out of her bag and pretends to hide them in the car, but Trevor notices this when they get out and sneaks it back into her bag. Those pills keep liz’ pyrokinesis in check. Upon their arrival, they are greeted by Trevor’s friend Father Yafides who summoned his help with the haunting.

Father Yafides goes on to tell them the story of Anne Whittier who was accused of witchcraft by Henry Hood in 17th century England. Hood executed hundreds of men, women, and children – most of whom were innocent. Anne’s parents fled to America along with her, where later she married and had children. But when the hysteria reached Massachusetts, someone remembered Anne’s accusal and a mob of ruffians killed her burning her house to the ground in the process. The house that is currently haunted was built on that very same property.

After the strange occurrence of a fireball from the fireplace, Trevor send Liz outside for some fresh air. There she meets a young lad who is helping his father do construction on the house. They wander into the woods where they see a scary sight.

Mike Mignola and Scott Allie’s story is very well written and has a nice steady pace to it. This is has all the makings of a classic ghost story, but since it’s a B.P.R.D. story, I’m sure there’s a twist somewhere in this three part series. Karl Moline does a bang up job on the artwork as well. Until I read this issue, I hadn’t picked up a B.P.R.D. book in quite some time and fortunately it still holds up to the stories I was used to reading.

More info:
    - Story: Mike Mignola, Scott Allie
    - Pencils: Karl Moline
    - Inks: Andy Owens
    - Letters: Clem Robins
    - Colors: Dave Stewart
    - Cover: Jo Chen
    - Designer: Amy Arendts
    - Editor: Daniel Chabon, Samantha Robertson, Scott Allie
    - Publisher: Dark Horse Comics

Jun 7th, 2011, 7:01 pm

Post rewarded by Ojay on Jun 9th, 2011, 5:59 am.
+ 5 WRZ$ reward as announced in Comics News. Nice reviewed. Thanks!
Jun 7th, 2011, 8:12 pm

Title: Moon Knight (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Brian Michael Bendis (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Greg McElhatton (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review:
Moon Knight #1
    Literally and figuratively, Moon Knight has had trouble with figuring out who and what he should be. A hero cursed with multiple personality disorder, his appearance and motivation on the printed page has varied from creator to creator almost as much as the occupations those personalities chose.

Frequently dismissed by comic readers as a Batman knockoff, many creators haven’t done much to dispel that thought. Brian Michael Bendis makes it quite clear in this first issue that this is not Batman. Some of the moves and the set-up certainly seems Batman-esque, but Spector doesn’t hesitate to continue his fight, cowled or not. The focus in the fight is less on moon-themed gadgetry than the determination and heart Moon Knight brings to his battle with a much larger and more powerful foe, Mr. Hyde.

Moon Knight breaks up a deal between Hyde and another more mysterious foe. That foe claims his goods from Hyde and unleashes a mystery that will power this series forward, and that puts Moon Knight in a spot to prove his own in a crusade against crime in Los Angeles as assigned to Moon Knight by Captain America, Spider-Man, and Wolverine, as seen in the preview here on CBR.

The art on this book is by Bendis’ frequent collaborator, Alex Maleev. Noted for his photo-influenced art on “Daredevil,” Maleev’s work here is less finished, more sketchy, and much more loose. It’s not standard-issue Alex Maleev art, and I’m not certain which side of the fence I’m on. There are great moments, like a killer double-page spread where we first see Moon Knight in costume. It feels like nothing else I’ve seen in comics lately and comes across as a full-fledged homage to Sienkiewicz. It’s going to take Maleev a little while on this book to grow on me.

As wonderful as that spread of Moon Knight hitting the rooftops is, there is one page with four panels detailing the destruction of Hyde’s boat at the hands of the mystery villain that leaves a little to be desired. Maleev’s art and Wilson’s colors struggle to cooperate, with the end result being an unclear depiction of what is truly happening. Thankfully the story afterwards helps to clue the reader in.

This is a different take on Moon Knight, stretching the Marvel Universe over to the left coast and giving both Moon Knight and Marc Spector new purpose. It’s not a spectacular book by any means, but it is a very good one. I’ll definitely be checking back in with this title. Bendis leaves a nice little bit at the end of this first issue that calls a great deal of the issue into question. It’s not a surprise by any means, but it is a pleasant affirmation that things in this book may not be completely predictable.

Moon Knight #2
    At the end of the first issue of the revamped "Moon Knight," there's a subtle moment on the final page that I suspect a lot of readers missed because they assumed it was artist error. After conferring with Captain America, Wolverine, and Spider-Man for most of the issue, Moon Knight is suddenly and abruptly alone in the room. The insinuation was clearly supposed to be that these are some of his other personalities, and that he's talking to himself. But because the final image is still tightly focused on Moon Knight, it could just have been that Alex Maleev didn't bother to draw them onto the edges of the page.

But still, there was no obvious, "Hey guys, this is what's happening!" moment, no massive exposition dump, no laying everything on the table in thirty foot letters. So I was sad, then, to see that subtlety discarded in "Moon Knight" #2. Not only does the credits page spell out for the reader that yes, these are just multiple personalities, but the story itself relies heavily on them.

In theory, the idea of Moon Knight pretending to be Spider-Man while breaking into an illegal establishment should be funny. You can easily see why Brian Michael Bendis centered the second issue around it. But the execution of it here is just so-so. It probably doesn't help that Moon Knight as Spider-Man sounds exactly like Spider-Man, so there's not a lot of humor in the scene behind the idea of one hero pretending to be another. And here, Moon Knight has rigged up all sorts of equipment and tools to mimic the abilities of the new personalities in his head. The end result? About halfway through, as Moon Knight is cracking jokes and squirting web fluid in eyes, you begin to wonder why you're reading an issue of "Moon Knight" instead of just picking up the latest "Amazing Spider-Man" instead.

When the gimmick becomes this blatant, it robs the clever idea of its wit. Big name superhero personalities weighing in on everything Moon Knight does is a funny idea, and there's a lot of drama potential behind it. Offering up different ideas and methods, arguing with one another, that sort of thing. Actually taking the driver's seat down to the point of using the same abilities? Not so interesting. Even having Spider-Man steer Moon Knight's body—but using the Moon Knight costume and demeanor and abilities—has some potential. What we get, though, feels like the easiest and simplest of any of the story possibilities. It's just not that much fun. Add in the general lack of using the Los Angeles setting (one of the high points of the first issue), and a guest-appearance of an Avenger already, and it's just not quite clicking.

Maleev's art maintains the same skill from the first issue; excellent with character faces and expressions, and a strong visual sense on how to lay out a page. When Snapdragon is throttling Moon Knight, he genuinely looks like he's going to pass out, both because of the individual images as well as the progression across the spread. I especially liked the shift to greyscale when we jump to the viewing gallery inside Moon Knight's head; it's a quick way to signpost the shift away from reality, and if anything it makes me yearn for a black and white "Moon Knight" comic drawn by Maleev.

I enjoyed the first issue of "Moon Knight," which had a lot of potential and was taking a distinctly different route than most superhero books. Different setting, a fun twist, and a nice layer of subtlety. "Moon Knight" #2 just feels like an average superhero comic that brings nothing new to the table. If at all possible, let's go back to the former rather than the latter, please.

More info:
- Story by Brian Michael Bendis
- Art by Alex Maleev
- Colors by Matthew Wilson
- Letters by Cory Petit
- Cover by Alex Maleev
- Publisher Marvel Comics

Jun 7th, 2011, 8:12 pm

Jun 7th, 2011, 10:58 pm

Title: Escape From Wonderland (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Raven Gregory (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Victoria (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review: Escape from Wonderland #4
    Have you ever had a dream where you were certain it was reality? Dreams have a funny way of fooling us. You could have sworn you felt the warm breeze brush against your skin as you walked along the beaches of Mexico and your taste buds tingle at the thought of devouring that amazing slice of pizza. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between dreams and reality. All too often I've dreamt of a conversation or an outing involving the people in my life and later discover that it never actually happened. Then there are the nightmares. We experience hellish scenarios as we sleep which sometimes expose us to our greatest fears. Sadly events occur in our lives that are best described as nightmares. It could be a variety of things; the death of a loved one, a divorce, loosing a job or suffering a major injury. We are sometimes given the option of escaping a dream by simply waking up. Other times we are not so fortunate and must live through the nightmare. Which of the two has Caile found herself in? Is she still in Wonderland, a place that is very real or was it all a dream? The answer may or may not surprise you and I will let you discover the outcome for yourself. I will tell you that Calie has found happiness. Her parents, Alice and Lewis, are present along with her brother Johnny and her boyfriend Brandon. It's as if the events from the last several months (or years? I'm not quite sure on the time line) never happened.

The issue is written by creator Raven Gregory who offers this latest twist in the Wonderland trilogy. Escape from Wonderland #4 has some truly shocking and horrifying moments and the ending will leave you on the edge of your seat. Only two more books remain in this series and the biggest question I have is; will Calie survive? I've grown quite fond of the character and have enjoyed seeing her evolution throughout the trilogy. I am constantly wondering if she will make it out of this in one piece. I would love nothing more than for her to have a happy ending but if there's anything this series has taught us it's that this isn't your mother's version of Alice in Wonderland.

I like the surprising direction this issue took. Although I guessed correctly on whether the reunion at the Liddle house was real or not, I never guessed where the story was going beyond that point and that made for a captivating read. The scary elements were very disturbing and fun. As always, the artistic team of Daniel Leister and Nei Ruffino is flawless. I give Escape from Wonderland #4 five stars.

More info:
    - created by writer Raven Gregory
    - illustrator: Daniel Leister

Jun 7th, 2011, 10:58 pm

Jun 8th, 2011, 5:42 am

Title: Fear Itself: The Deep (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Cullen Bunn (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: James Hunt (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review: Fear Itself: The Deep #1
    Or, if you prefer – “Fear Itself: The Defenders” (and wow, it’s come to something when Marvel thinks calling a book “Defenders” is going to hurt its chances of selling). With Attuma transformed into Nerkkod by his enchanted hammer, New Atlantis has fallen and Namor has abandoned his home seeking help to regain it. Helping out? His old friends, the Defenders. Sort of.

What we actually get is a modern interpretation of the team. Namor, Strange and (eventually) the Silver Surfer join forces with Lyra (one of the She-Hulks) and Loa filling the Hulk and Namora roles respectively. As with the original Defenders, the mix of characters is largely arbitrary, although Bunn smartly draws on their shared history as the main reason for the core group’s assemblage, meaning he can just about get away with it.

There are parts of the story that are less convincing, though. Attempting to deal with the lack of X-Men with a throwaway line is fine, but destroying New Atlantis – without any mention of Utopia, which New Atlantis is supporting – is an omission that can’t help but stand out. The X-Men are dealing with something more important than Attuma? Fine. The X-Men are dealing with something more important than their nation sinking into the sea? Er, sorry, but no.

The core of the story is, of course, Namor, and in that sense the character is being taken to interesting new areas, though not ones which entirely work. Although it’s part of the story that Namor has lost his nerve, it’s difficult to accept this characterization in light of his recent one-note arrogance. The image of him sitting in a bar, dejected, is certainly one that has impact, but asking for help should be beyond his capabilities. Similarly, the scene of him cowering in fear mid-battle would have been a better surprise had his character not already been undermined by that point in the issue.

As a tie-in, it’s inessential, at best. Hammer falls on bad villain. Bad villain gets worse. “Fear Itself” logo slapped on front. You can expect to read a few miniseries with that particular plot in the next few months, and right now there’s nothing to suggest that “The Deep” will be anything more interesting.

Any Defenders fans who notice that this is aimed at them will probably enjoy seeing the characters back together again (even if there’s little chance for the newer members to make their presence felt), and Lee Garbett’s artwork is largely clear and enjoyable, so aside from Namor’s characterization, there’s little to criticize. Nor is there anything to distinguish it, though, and alongside so many tie-ins, well, that’s a problem that it seems too late to fix.

More info:
    - Story by Cullen Bunn
    - Art by Lee Garbett, David Meikis
    - Colors by John Rauch
    - Letters by Joe Caramagna
    - Cover by Lee Garbett
    - Publisher Marvel Comics

Jun 8th, 2011, 5:42 am