If it does not belong anywhere else and has to do with Android post it here.
Aug 7th, 2019, 8:52 pm
The situation is this. With EMUI, there are 2 ways the system can stop your background apps from working. The first is the default Android way and the second is the Huawei PowerGenie. This tries to measure the wakelocks, the temperature, power consumption, network utilization of the apps and kicks them quite quickly if they keep running in the background. This PowerGenie has some whitelisted package codes of apps that won't get touched by it, like Google system apps, Facebook, Beidu, ... . Unfortunately this is not editable.
I myself was in a situation where my third party calendar apps did not work and my Blackberry UEM (and HUB+ app) did not show me any work emails. Quite bad.

The only solution was to "remove" the PowerGenie app. Because this is living on the system app (read-only), it will still be in place. I have tried to wrap it up in an easy to use APP, but Android prohibits that unfortunately. So despite that the APP showed you "Done", it did not work.

Here is what you need to do for preperation:
- enable developer menu (click on the build number until you see a toast)
- enter dev options, turn on ADB debugging
- install google Android SDK
- connect your mobile through USB to your laptop/computer and run "adb shell" to see the connectivity is there. If not, follow one of the million tutorials

To disable PowerGenie:

adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.powergenie

To enable it again:
adb shell cmd package install-existing com.huawei.powergenie

One word regarding impact on battery:
It is quite likely that you will find an application on your phone which is relying on running in the background from time to time. Appplication developers might have actually implemented techniques to avoid their app from being killed, because people might quickly point their finger to the app developer and not to the Android battery saver. Imagine if PowerGenie kills those apps every couple of seconds and the apps are getting restarted due to timers, events, whatever, that causes a bigger drain to your battery than it would actually help you.
On the other hand, if you have a rogue app running which is spinning like crazy, there won't be a PowerGenie saving you from it. Get one of the million battery apps and track you usage. Wakelock detector might help.

Caveat:
There is one caveat with this method though. You will lose the ability to see in your official battery settings menu, which app consumed how much battery. This is unfortunately linked to the PowerGenius app. However, apart from that there are only benefits, as Android will behave like you would expect it to.

Opportunities:
Using the above commands, you can quickly disable other system apps as well. The Huawei Launcher for instance, "com.huawei.android.launcher", but make sure you have another launcher installed upfront. But it's always good to know those apps will remain on your system and one ADB command will bring them back.
Aug 7th, 2019, 8:52 pm