Discuss Android games here.
Apr 18th, 2013, 1:39 pm

One of the most basic and (relatively) inexpensive genres of games, hidden-object games ask the player to find, well, hidden objects in a given scenario. Generally this involves some level of problem-solving and combining objects to find the next clue. There is no shortage of hidden-object games to satisfy the detective in you. The titles mentioned here-after should provide some good options for those looking to get into the genre with their Android device, and the Android Market is brimming with other options, each with their own clickable mysteries waiting to be uncovered.

There are plenty of hidden-object games developed for Android, and I've picked out some that I think are worth a try. You can follow the links to purchase them on Google Market, evaluate by downloading from this site, or post a request if you'd like it to be released on this site if it hasn't been yet.

Amnesia - Chapter 0 - Awake (purchase - evaluate - request)
    Amnesia - Chapter 1 - Jeffrey's Mystery (purchase - evaluate - request)
    Amnesia - Chapter 2 - No Escape (purchase - evaluate - request)

Amnesia is a game that offers a unique art style among other games of the genre, and a fairly well-developed premise as well, adding a bit more than "you woke up in X and have to escape because Y." The player wakes up in a strange office with amnesia (hence the name), with nothing but a blank clipboard that eventually fills in with the missing memories.
      The puzzles in this game are actually quite tricky and require a bit of time to figure out, but the controls are a bit cumbersome and deduct from the overall gameplay. There is no moving around the room freely - one must click items from the perspective the game provides, making picking up the smaller objects quite a hassle. One other downside to this game is that it is not for tablets. It is playable, but will not expand to match a tablet's resolution.

Art Mogul (purchase - evaluate - request - review)
      Art Mogul is an interesting fresh mixture of risk-reward, hidden object game and business building. The slow pace might be off-putting to some, but if you bear with it and get hooked you will find a brand new kind of game.

Dream Sleuth: hidden object (purchase - evaluate - request)
      Dream Sleuth is a mysterious detective story from Nevosoft and is difficult to categorize: it’s a search game, a brain puzzle with hidden objects and much more. It has a beautiful soundtrack with an extreme movie plot.

Hidden Object 4 (purchase - evaluate - request)
      Scrollable hidden object game with 36 levels. You have to find 10 objects on every level to gain access to the next one.

Hidden Objects Quest (purchase - evaluate[/color] - request - review)
      Hidden Objects Quest is a fresh and fun reinvention of what makes Hidden Object Games great. It's loaded with exciting game play and awesome new ways to find objects. It features exclusive game modes that you won't find anywhere but here. These include, Hangman Quest, Hidden Time Bomb Search, Conveyor Quests, and Rainstorm Search. Visual effects are scattered throughout the 24 scenes and help to provide a unique and realistic search environment. An original music score and 20 unique games modes compliment over 100 quests to discover and enjoy. The game features a 500 hidden object library and every round of play is different - providing excellent replayability.
      To top all of that, there is also a KIDS MODE designed for ages 3 years and up where the whole family can enjoy the adventure.

Infernus Verse 1 (purchase - evaluate - request)
    Infernus Verse 2 (purchase - evaluate - request - review)
      Once again starting the player off in a horror-inspired bathroom setting, Infernus ups the ante in the field of hidden-object based play. The main selling points for me were the graphics (not spectacular but detailed and thoughtful) and the controls, which were completely reliant on swiping across the screen and using pinch to zoom on an item or area. In my mind this is the way controls should always be for this type of game when implemented on touch-screen devices, as it is intuitive, easy to get the hang of, and makes more sensible use of the technology for which it was developed.
      Infernus comes in two "verses," the first of which is free. Personally I would like to give the second a chance, but while the first verse is visually and functionally impressive, it is so incredibly short that it doesn't leave much hope for a long play experience for your money.

Jekyll & Hyde Hidden Object (purchase - evaluate - request)
      As the name suggests, the story in the game is loosely based on The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde novel. Clues and objects are scattered all over London's foggy streets. As an added bonus you get 30 mini challenges that add a bit of variety to the gameplay.

Musaic Box (purchase - evaluate - request - review)
      Overall, Musaic Box is a great game. While its roots are based in the hidden object genre, it has enough puzzle elements to attract a broad spectrum of players. It is by no means a fast-paced game, but that just means more play time. The informational notes in the game kept me interested and motivated to click through each of the rooms, and the social feature seems like it could add an edge of competition to the game - if it catches on.
      If you're a fan of the hidden object genre and want a game that goes above and beyond the point-and-click standard, Musaic Box will make a great addition to your library. At the moment, Musaic Box is on sale in the Android Market for just $0.99, and a 'Lite' version is available for free.

Mystery Seekers (purchase - evaluate - request - review)
      Ghosts have taken over a mansion and the owner no longer has the power to combat them. Because of this, you've been summoned to help but when you arrive at the mansion, the problem is worse than you had imagined. A dark and eerie mood hangs over the old home with many secrets lying in its wake.
      Investigate the house and dispel the spirits to help the owners. Hunt the halls and surroundings to locate useful items and clues around every corner. Play mesmerizing mini-games, solve perplexing puzzles, complete multiple missions, meet intriguing characters, and even combat ghosts to expel them.

Mysteryville 2: hidden crime (purchase - evaluate - request)
      If you are new to hidden object games, perhaps this is the title you should check out first. It is fairly easy, yet fun and engaging at the same time.

Mystique Ch1: Foetus (purchase - evaluate - request - review)
    Mystique Ch2: The Child (purchase - evaluate - request - review)
    Mystique Ch3: Obitus (purchase - evaluate - request - review)
      First up is Mystique, a hidden-object game that comes in three parts - only the first of which is free. It's a fairly standard experience for this genre, and places the player in a grotesque bathroom with blood, bandages, and an electric shaver. The controls are fairly intuitive, but often give the player a hard time when trying to grab an object. For a free game it's interesting and challenging enough, despite being a bit short. The game also provides a few surprise moments by way of triggered animations, like a bloody face appearing in the mirror after interacting with the electric shaver. This is a nice touch and adds a bit of depth to the game.

Paranormal Agency (purchase - evaluate - request - review)
      Yet another good hidden object game for Android and iPhone, yet this time, the story revolves around a mischievous ghost and a detective trying to send it back to where it belongs. Good to know, in case you actually pay attention to the story line in these games.

Pirate Mysteries (purchase - evaluate - request - review)
      Pirate Mysteries is basically a find-the-hidden-objects game, but it adds a few nice wrinkles. One of the wrinkles is a background story about Mary Blade and her buccaneer father going off to sea to find adventure and treasure. It's kind of humorous and adds a little fun to the game. Another nice touch are the mini-games between chapters.

Snark Busters (purchase - evaluate - request - review)
      Snark Busters is a perfect example of a game that doesn't necessarily do anything new or innovative, but is excellent nonetheless. A charming story, solid production values, and a challenging and lengthy campaign make this one of the best HOGs in recent memory. And besides, who doesn't like airships?

Special Enquiry Detail (purchase - evaluate - request - review)
      An interesting hidden object thriller
      Due to the large Display the Android Tablets are also the popular hidden objects to play well. At Special Enquiry is even a tricky thriller.
      You can slip into the role of investigator and solve the murder. You have to help in the investigations, interrogate suspects and follow instructions. The mayor is, but you under enormous pressure to succeed. But a true New York cop up with that.
      As usual in Hidden Object, there are plenty of things to discover. The pictures are beautifully drawn. 25 mini-games provide some variation in between. The initial free App offers 12 different chapters, 30 towns and an interesting history.
      This is for hidden object fans App a must-have. Everyone else can possibly be fans of this genre. Special Enquiry is certainly a App a lot of fun and very recommendable.

Spirit of Wandering (purchase - evaluate - request - review)
      Nice graphics, tons of objects, Spirit of Wandering has it all. The action takes place back in those romantic days when pirates roamed the oceans in search of plunder. Downloading the game is free of charge.

The Magician's Handbook 2 (purchase - evaluate - request)
      The second in the series, Magician's Handbook II proves to offer a significant challenge to hidden object lovers. The objects are tough to find- this is a game that takes some time and some skill. Hidden object lovers who find other games too easy will likely not be disappointed by this one- those who find other games too difficult will likely want to choose something else. This game offers amazing artwork, very detailed scenes, lots of gameplay and lots of challenge. Well worth it.

The Mystery of the Crystal Portal (purchase - evaluate - request - review)
      Join Nicole, and her sidekick Igor, as they trek across the globe in search of her missing father! Discover a secret so big that it could threaten the very course of human history. Solve puzzles from her home in New York City, to distant lands on the other side of the world to find her beloved father and save human kind. Solve interactive puzzles and find many Hidden Object scenes in Mystery of the Crystal Portal - Beyond the Horizon.

Treasures of Mystery Island (purchase - evaluate - request - review)
      Here is a hidden object game for experienced puzzle lovers. The items blend really well with the background, which makes them difficult to find. Most of the time, you need to assemble various of the object's pieces together for an extra dose of challengingness.

Twisted Lands: Shadow Town (purchase - evaluate - request - review)
      The developers of Twisted Lands spared no pain in creating artwork for this title, including many very detailed scenes as well as a visually stimulating menu and inventory system. The game starts off slow, adapting you to the controls and handling, and escalates the story (rather predictably) to a horror scenario.
      It's a beautiful game and the graphics and animations easily kept my interest. The original version of Twisted Lands comes in at a reasonable $1.99, but there is also a lite version available.

The Secret of Grisly Manor (purchase - evaluate - request - review)
      Finally we come to The Secret of Grisly Manor, another hidden-object game that packs stellar graphics for the genre. Grisly Manor is beautiful to look at, and intuitive to play, but garners a lot of complaints because it is quite short.
      Despite its length, Grisly Manor is worth checking out for the reasonably difficult puzzles and great graphics. Similar to other games of the genre, Grisly Manor comes in at $1.99 which may or may not be a reasonable price for a puzzle game that lacks in length.

The Serpent of Isis (purchase - evaluate - request - review)
      The Serpent of Isis isn't just the ordinary tap-to-find hidden object game - it offers so much more and really goes in-depth to intertwine with the story. Not only are you finding objects, but you're finishing puzzles and quests, all to unlock a bit more of the story. I'm usually not too fond of titles from this genre, but this one really drew me in.
      The only negative thing I have to say is that the sales tactics are a little misleading. Aside from a disclaimer in the description, it appears that the entire game is free. However, it's just a demo and you have to pay $3.99 through an in-app purchase to access the full game.

The Time Machine Hidden Object (purchase - evaluate - request)
      Devastated, Professor George Einwin committed suicide. The day before his death, his young assistant Filby Young had met him. Full of guilt, the Professor claimed to have activated a chain reaction of uncontrollable events that would destroy the humanity and would leave the Earth close to the end...
      To know the reasons of his death, Filby goes back to the Professor’s laboratory and discovers a strange spherical machine, which seems partially dismantled. Filby reactivates it and is thrown in time and space, against his will.
      Help him to find all the parts of the machine and the anachronistic objects to restore the order in time and space!

The Room (purchase - evaluate - request - review)
      The Room is a 3D puzzle game from Fireproof Games. To uncover the secrets held within a mysterious safe, you must solve a series of intricate puzzles using physical manipulation.
      While I'm not exactly a big puzzle game buff, The Room has me intrigued. Ornate safes, crazy locks, picking tools, and mysterious symbols - all in a wonderfully crafted 3D experience? It beats the hell out of trying to figure out which way to move a set of colorful blocks. The Room actually made its true Android debut as part of the latest mobile Humble Bundle, but now it's on the Play Store.
      The game has received near-universal critical praise, and was a massive hit on iOS, where it achieved the much-coveted iPad Game Of The Year Award from Apple in 2012. There really aren't many more ringing endorsements that could be heaped on here, and at just $2, how could you not buy it?

:idea: Links:
  • purchase: A link to the developer or app store, where you can buy the application in case it isn't free, or support the developer if it is.
  • evaluate: A search link to the games, released on mobilism.org. If there's no release yet, please post a request (see hereafter).
  • request: A link to the requests topic, in case the application (or last version) isn't yet released on this forum, and you'd like it to be. Here you can show your interested in a game to be released and offer some WRZ$, or post a request yourself. Please send me Image if you posted a request, then I will jump in and raise the reward...
  • review: Some comments about the game I picked up from the web. Not meant to take for granted, but giving you an idea what the game is about. Nothing compares to your own experience!

Any Hidden-object game we've missed, but you think it belongs in this post, please send Image. Thanks!

Apr 18th, 2013, 1:39 pm

Apr 20th, 2013, 7:33 am
Hidden Objects: Mystery Seeker Review (source)

"By far one of the worst big fish games..."

Review 1: There are live action parts with these awful cheesy actors describing events that i ended up skipping as you get a nice brief summary in your journal after and get to be spared that horror. The game was easy and short and as the other person said...the hidden object scenes were the exact same objects rearranged. The mini puzzles or games were easy the story line played out and the graphics lazy. It plays like someone at big fish slapped some crap together to make a quick buck. By far one of the worst big fish games...probably one of the worst point and click mystery games and there have been some bad ones. I couldn't decide on one or two stars but i gave it two since i was desperate for a new point and click adventure and it was better than nothing.

Review 2: The game was kinda fun because it's a bit different.It's fun to kill ghosts and the mini puzzles were nice but too easy.The hidden object games are always the same items so you get pretty sick of them by the end of the game.The scenes are dark but what's nice with this game is you can zoom in or out on all the scenes, not just the boy's.Overall it's not as good as others,but if you're like me and check for new releases by Big Fish, you just have to hope the next one did really great.By the way, if your not English you need to know "skittles" are bowling pins.

Find this game here.
Apr 20th, 2013, 7:33 am
Apr 20th, 2013, 7:47 am
The Room - Review (source)

" If you like puzzle games, The Room is a unique and addictive app you should get right away!"

The Room is an intensely challenging puzzle game with beautiful 3D graphics where the object is to unravel a mystery by opening steampunk-style boxes.

Though "opening boxes" may sound boring, with The Room, each box has several hidden secrets and clues that keep you engrossed, trying to find the right sequence of actions to open the box. There are dials to turn, complex safe combinations to figure out, hidden compartments that contain keys, and much more. You also have an inventory on the left where you store the various keys and other items you find as you search for a way to use them to open the box and discover what's inside. As you progress, you'll also find pages of a diary that fill in the storyline and provide clues to your mission. With so much of the game hinged on gesture-based trial and error, The Room simply sucks you in.
The graphics in The Room are top-notch (pictures)

Part of what makes it so compelling are the amazing-looking visuals and the steampunk design of the boxes and various gadgets. The ornate, old-style puzzle boxes have gleaming metal dials, realistic wood grain, and the lighting effects and shadows really make you feel like you're working with real objects. Though you can get The Room on an Android mobile phone, I highly recommend playing on a tablet just so you can appreciate the work that went into the look and overall feel of the game.

The Room isn't just about the visuals, though. The sound design is excellent, with each gear whirring and old wood creaking as you pull open a drawer. You can hear creepy music and howling wind as you work. The overall feel of both the audio and visuals are part of what makes this game great, but it's the complex and challenging puzzles that keep you coming back for more.

The only thing that can get a little annoying with The Room is the control scheme for viewing the box and zooming in on details. Though the swipe-to-rotate controls are as smooth as silk, the pinch gestures for zooming in and out can get a little frustrating. I'm not sure what the developers can do here to make it better, but just be warned that in some instances, it may not feel as smooth as you'd like. Also, the graphics on the Android version, while still impressive, appeared to be just a notch below those on the iOS version of the game.

The Room seemed like a port of some browser-based, point-and-click adventure to me when I first came across it. But now that I've tried it, I can tell you it is much more, and that just about anyone will enjoy piecing together the mystery as you try to figure out how to open each box.

The good: The Room has intensely challenging puzzle gameplay, beautiful steampunk-like graphics, and immersive ambient sounds as you try to progress through the storyline.

The bad: Viewing and zoom controls can get a little frustrating at times.

The bottom line: If you like puzzle games, The Room is a unique and addictive app you should get right away, with great visuals, pitch-perfect sounds, and plenty more to keep you struggling to figure out just how to unravel the mystery.

Find this game here.
Apr 20th, 2013, 7:47 am
Apr 20th, 2013, 8:00 am
The Serpent of Isis - Review (source)

" The Serpent of Isis is a well-made adventure with an interesting story"

The Serpent of Isis is the latest title to combine hidden object gameplay with inventory-based puzzles, challenging mini-games and an interesting mystery story – in this case, a plot that takes you across Europe by train as you track down the culprits responsible for stealing a rare Egyptian artifact.

It all starts when you receive a mysterious note from an anonymous helper who tips you off that five robbers have taken the Serpent of Isis artifact on board the Palu Express train. You must hop on the train and recover the pieces of the artifact from each of the suspects before they can smuggle them into London (the train's final destination).

After a brief prologue where you pack a suitcase and grab your ticket, you'll find board the train and begin investigating various cabins and cars for clues that implicate each of the five suspects and help you to track down the artifact pieces. The setting isn't limited to the train, however; as it travels through Europe it makes stop-overs in six destinations along the way including Budapest, Vienna and Paris, and you'll get to explore scenes in each city to search for additional clues and leads.

In each scene, you'll have to hunt for items in order to cross them off a list. Some of these items will be added to your inventory, and you'll have to figure out where they can be used to solve a puzzle. For example, you'll find keys that can be used to unlock various cabinets and trunks. You might also have to combine two items in your inventory, such as adding batteries to an empty flashlight. These puzzles aren't self-contained either; in other words, you might find an item in one scene and then have to travel to a different scene in order to use it.

Variations on standard searches include having to investigate darkened rooms using a flashlight, and looking through a viewfinder. Each chapter contains at least three scenes to investigate, and more scenes are added the farther along you go. You get a limited number of hints per level, but you can earn more by finding extra items that relate to each suspect (such as a cigar or fortune cookie). The game offers both Timed and Relaxed modes depending on your play preferences.

If you're a fan of clever mini-games, then The Serpent of Isis won't disappoint. You'll take frequent break from searching for hidden objects to complete a variety of puzzles, such as navigating a maze in Vienna (in the dark, no less, with only a flashlight to guide you), decrypting symbol puzzles, and cracking safes where the solution isn't quite as simple as finding the right numbers on a piece of paper. All of these puzzles can be skipped, with the consequence of adding minutes to your total completion time.

The Serpent of Isis is a well-made adventure with an interesting story, polished production values, decent gameplay length, and good replay value in the sense that you'll be given different lists of objects to find each time you start over.

That said, the game's blend of adventure and hidden object gameplay doesn't always work smoothly. Objects are fairly well blended into scenes, but they're your typical mishmash of insects, bunches of grapes, golf clubs, and other random junk. As such, it can be hard to tell what represents an object that you're supposed to use an item from your inventory on, and what is just random clutter. (A white highlight around the object does help a bit, but certain puzzles still feel overly obscure – especially given the fact that you have to change scenes in a lot of cases, too.)

Occasionally, too, I found that there was more than one possible object in the scene to click on that fit the list's description (such as two butterflies, but only one of them was the "correct" one.)

Frustrations are generally few and far between, however. If you enjoy the kind of hidden object game that mixes in some other types of puzzles as well, then The Secret of Isis shouldn't disappoint.

Find this game here.
Apr 20th, 2013, 8:00 am
Apr 20th, 2013, 10:36 am
Musaic Box - Review (source)

" The gameplay is challenging, but not unmanageable."

The same developers who brought the kitsch hit Farm Frenzy to Android have recently released what they're calling their best game ever: Musaic Box - a game that successfully combines the hidden object and puzzle genres, and adds some truly unique twists that make for a dynamic, interesting experience.

At A Glance - The very first thing I noticed about Musaic Box was the stunning visual style. The environments are clearly polished, with an astonishing level of detail, and almost everything you'd expect to be interactive actually is. The gameplay is challenging, but not unmanageable. Since Musaic mixes in puzzle elements to its hidden object base, the pace feels steady and the game stays interesting.

Gameplay - Musaic's gameplay is unique to say the least. The object is to gather scraps of paper containing partial "outlines" for musical scores. These scraps appear in the player's notebook, and when an outline for a given musical piece is completed, the player must assemble blocks marked with various symbols in order to properly construct a melody. Upon doing so, more scraps - or other objects - are revealed as compartments in each room's music box are unlocked. The goal is to uncover clues related to an organ master's disappearance, by progressing through the missing musician's home and solving each room's puzzles.

I would say that assembling the various melodies is perhaps the most challenging part of Musaic, as there are many configurations of blocks that could work, but only one that forms the correct melody, meaning the player must rely on their innate senses of tonality and musical intuition to successfully construct a song.

Musaic not only provides hidden object and puzzle action, but also has some educational value. Aside from using real, historical pieces of music for its puzzles, many paintings, sketches, and instruments are clickable, and the game's interface often brings up interesting historical facts based on these objects. The song outlines themselves also contain brief descriptions or facts relating to their origin, time period, or influence. This is another facet of the game that is not only impressive, but entertaining as well.

Interestingly, Musaic allows players to share their scores and achievements after each 'level,' a feature that seems to suggest that the developers want to encourage a social presence for Musaic Box, but I'm not sure how many people would actually share their hidden object scores on a regular basis.
Final Thoughts

Overall, Musaic Box is a great game. While its roots are based in the hidden object genre, it has enough puzzle elements to attract a broad spectrum of players. It is by no means a fast-paced game, but that just means more play time. The informational notes in the game kept me interested and motivated to click through each of the rooms, and the social feature seems like it could add an edge of competition to the game - if it catches on.

If you're a fan of the hidden object genre and want a game that goes above and beyond the point-and-click standard, Musaic Box will make a great addition to your library. At the moment, Musaic Box is on sale in the Android Market for just $0.99, and a 'Lite' version is available for free.

Find this game here.
Apr 20th, 2013, 10:36 am
Apr 20th, 2013, 1:17 pm
Mystique – Android’s Most Horrifying Puzzle - Review (source)

" There is no reason to not buy this game."

Mystique is a 3D RPG puzzle game that is available in 3 versions on the Android Market. I have seen this game in the Featured Apps section hundreds of times and only today was I curious enough to want to download it. On my brand new Nexus One this game blew me away. The 3D graphics and textures were amazing that I actually felt like I was the character in the game, even though I was playing on a 3.7 inch screen. The game is reminiscent of “Silent Hill 4: The Room” if you’ve ever played. The first installment of the series entitled “Foetus”, is somewhat of an intro to the series and quite short, depending on how quickly you can figure out how to get out of the “DAMN” room as I have coined it after the frustration it will cause you. When I say frustration, it’s the kind of frustration that makes you want to keep going and prove yourself to the game.

Just to give you a little taste into what this horrifying game is about here is what I have found out about the back story of the character’s epic adventure. In chapter 1 you start off locked in a bathroom where you must use anything and everything you find to get out of a room. A room that seems to be filled with ghosts of frightening children who look like they’ve been hit in the face with death. Chapter 2 “The Child” adds more to the story of where you actually are. From what I have gathered by the different rooms you explore is that you are in a sick and twisted mental hospital composed of surgery, torture, and padded rooms. Still only stuck on one floor of the building you must now find a way out. I have not started chapter 3 “Obitus” but I have it downloaded and installed ready to go when my phone cools down. I played straight through for approximately 4 hours trying to finish chapter 2 and now it feels like I’ve microwaved my new N1. Please don’t repeat my mistakes and take a break every once in a while from the game for your phone’s sake, if not for your own sanity!

I have tested the game on an LG Eve and a Nexus One and while the graphics are very similar, the overall smoothness of gameplay takes a hit on lower end phones. Even if I did not own a Nexus One I would still buy the game though because it is such an exciting and horrifying adventure. Trust me though, this game is not for the light-hearted as the game can be quite graphic sometimes. At a price of free for Chapter 1 and $1.99 for Chapters 2 and 3 this game is a steal, there is no reason to not buy this game.

Find this game here.
Apr 20th, 2013, 1:17 pm
Apr 20th, 2013, 2:51 pm
Paranormal Agency - Review (source)

" Paranormal Agency is missing some of the bells and whistles that the top-tier hidden object games offer..."

For people who complain that hidden object games are getting too complicated and straying too much from their roots, there's always a game like Paranormal Agency. This run-of-the-mill hidden object game with a supernatural twist offers pure seek-and-find gameplay (with the odd skippable puzzle thrown in) but suffers from a meandering story and a few other minor issues.

Heather Williams is a professional exorcist who runs her business like a supernatural detective squad, chasing down reports of poltergeists and then using her peculiar powers to make the ghosts stop bothering people.

By way of a dialogue-heavy story (that can be skipped altogether if you choose,) we learn that the city is being threatened when an extremely powerful ghost from Heather's past shows up to cause trouble. The only way Heather can fight back is by... clearing rooms of hidden objects!

To be fair, all the searching does tie into the story in some way, whether it's searching for a list of items by name or silhouette in order to find a key item that a character is looking for (always the last one object your list), or helping Heather clear a room of poltergeists by identifying and clicking on faint ghost-like objects that hover on top of other ones. You'll also be asked to find lists of items, such as light sources, animals and insects, or pieces of paper.

Paranormal Agency is missing some of the bells and whistles that the top-tier hidden object games offer, such as voice-acting and attractive graphics. The characters all have distractingly huge noses, and items are frequently recycled. As a result, though, the file-size is just under 30 MB, which is tiny compared to a 92 MB behemoth like Mystery Case Files: Return to Ravenhearst.

There's a choice of classic or relaxed (untimed) modes, but both offer ample hints that are easily replenished by finding "?" symbols in the scenes.

The story is an ambitious one with several main characters and plot twists, but the dialogue could be tighter. Especially in the latter half of the game, it seems like the story is being strung out simply for the sake of lengthening the game and it loses some of its momentum by making you search the same scene two or three times in a row for different sets of items.

The story also suffers from standard issues that crop up whenever a game hasn't been thoroughly play-tested and localized. Clicks occasionally didn't take, some items are mislabelled ("nippers" apparently refers to what look like garden shears, clarinet is incorrectly called a flute, and then there's my favorite, the "baseball ball.") Instructions demonstrate the odd spelling mistake and poor grammar, like the order to "Help collecting stationery."

Paranormal Agency isn't going to win over any new fans to the genre, but is a playable enough hidden object game for diehard fans looking for a seek-and-find fix.

Pros:
    Choice of timed and untimed modes. Ample hints. Compact 30 MB file size.

Cons:
    Wasn't play-tested enough. Grammatical issuses. Clicks don't always take. Only average production values. Meandering story that drags at the end.

Find this game here.
Apr 20th, 2013, 2:51 pm
Apr 20th, 2013, 6:49 pm
Snark Busters - Review (source)

" The bottom line is this: Snark Busters is fantastic."

I know a thing or two about snark, and now I know a bit about the Snark, too, thanks to Snark Busters: Welcome to the Club, the new hidden object game that puts players in the boots of Kira Robertson, a strong-willed woman living in a bizarre, steam-powered city who becomes the newest member of an exclusive group dedicated to hunting the mysterious beast.

Caught while trying to add to her collection of policeman's helmets, Kira is confined to her room by her father, the richest man in town and a bit of a sourpuss, too. In the process of attempting to escape, she finds herself invited to join the hunt for the Snark, a creature that's rarely seen and never caught. The Snark has the power to pass through mirrors into a "backward world" and sometimes, she's told, so will she. Using her new-found ability, Kira launches herself on an adventure through worlds even more exotic than her own, pursuing the elusive Snark while keeping tabs on her daddy - who's doing his very best to pursue her.

Hidden object searches in Snark Busters aren't especially difficult, but there is a fairly high degree of interactivity in every scene. Instead of digging around for random, throwaway "stuff," you'll be looking for pieces of items that must be assembled and used, such as a hammer to break a vase or coal to power a train. Some levels include closed containers or pieces that need to be moved to reveal objects hidden inside or behind them, while the hint function is conventional but fairly generous, with a fast-moving recharge timer that keeps things rolling along.

In a surprisingly pleasant twist, Snark Busters manages to make its non-HOG puzzles - I almost can't believe I'm saying this - actually fun. Instead of recycling the tried-and-true "classics" like the Towers of Hanoi or some kind of repetitive memory exercise, these mini-games rely more on your powers of observation. The "stick man puzzle," which you'll run into in one of the later levels, is a great example of one that had me stumped for several minutes until a light bulb almost literally went off over my head in a hugely satisfying moment of triumph. The solution was actually quite simple and obvious, and answers for virtually every puzzle in the game are spread throughout its levels. You just have to pay a little attention to find them.

Traveling through mirrors adds an interesting twist by opening shadowy, slightly warped mirror images of some sections of the game, the so-called "backward world." Actions on one side of a mirror are reflected on the other, sometimes in less-than-obvious ways. Turn on a light in the "real" world, for instance, and you may find that a candle has suddenly ignited in the mirror realm, revealing a much-needed piece of a puzzle. Even without traveling through mirrors, in fact, what happens in one scene often has an impact elsewhere. Many hidden objects simply aren't available until you've taken certain steps at a different location, but the game keeps the guesswork to a minimum by flashing to other scenes when something important takes place, showing you what's changed and where it happened.

Snark Busters looks and sounds great. The steampunk setting is unique and fun, and the jaunty soundtrack rolls right along with it. Obviously it's not what you'd call photo-realistic, but the exaggerated, hand-drawn visuals are sharp and colorful, with plenty of animated components as well. It's even funny in places - honest-to-goodness, laugh-out-loud funny. Kira struck me as a spoiled brat at first, certainly not someone I found very appealing, but as the game progressed I realized she's just a woman who acts first and thinks... well, sometimes. She has good intentions and a good heart, mixed up with an unfortunate but occasionally amusing talent for breaking things.

The bottom line is this: Snark Busters is fantastic. It offers about three hours of very enjoyable play time, with tons of hidden object searches, puzzles and mini-games that make you feel like you're actually solving a mystery and a very high level of polish from start to finish. Will you catch the Snark? I don't want to spoil that surprise for you, but as Ian Gillan told us back in 1984, it's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase. And Snark Busters: Welcome to the Club is one chase that delivers in spades.

Find this game here.
Apr 20th, 2013, 6:49 pm
Apr 21st, 2013, 6:51 am
Hidden Objects Quest - Review (source)

" HOG delight, and a huge playing depth."

Review 1: The kids mode works for my grandkids that do not read. Simply see a picture, find the picture in an ultra-super detailed graphic scene. Graphics as fine as any game I've seen on the market. I had to put the grandkids down for nap-time to get my turn.

HOG delight, and a huge playing depth. Hours, weeks, for me a never ending game for play. Kids mode (if they can hold it, they can play) or take the super challenge of adult play mode. It has the most unique game modes I've seen in any game purchased. A new challenge around every swipe.

Hidden Objects Quest makes my Kindle Fire HUM, HOG, HUM.

Review 2: Liked the pics and looking for objects but the very little time limit is not welcomed at all. Get rid of time limt to make game enjoyable. Computer hidden object games do not have time limits. If I had known re this game, I would not have purchased.

Find this game here.
Apr 21st, 2013, 6:51 am
Apr 21st, 2013, 7:02 am
Special Enquiry Detail - Review (source)

" A wonderful experience."

Special Enquiry Detail: The Hand That Feeds is from the same folks who brought you the Women's Murder Club hidden object games, and it shows. The mystery, involving the death of a philanthropist's teenage daughter, is smart and well written, and the game itself is polished and enthralling. If only the characters would just keep their mouths shut.

You follow two detectives, newly assigned to the SED, as they investigate the death of young Carmody Phelps. Nobody in her life, it seems, is above suspicion; her parents, her ex-boyfriend, even her best friend from school all seem to be hiding something. You'll swap between detectives as they follow leads, and also process evidence as the forensic technician. In addition to ferreting out clues like Carmody's diary and bullets, you'll have to interview witnesses and suspects; make sure you pay attention to what they say, because you'll need that information to solve puzzles later in the game.

The object searching comes into play during the detectives' investigations. They'll comb scenes not only for vital clues – which are thankfully referred to only as "Clue" in your item list – but also other random objects. The locations are beautifully and realistically drawn, but there is a mild amount of repetition in the collections of things you need to locate. You're constantly being asked to track down gloves (both alone and in pairs) and flashlights. It doesn't happen enough to diminish the fun of the hunts, but it is a minor irritation.

A few puzzles are mixed in with the object searches, and they vary from the simple (finding a keyboard and mouse so that you can use your computer) to the more complex (assembling a ring puzzle to unlock a safe). They're all skippable after a waiting period, but none of them are too difficult or obnoxious, so you'll probably want to work through them all. They also pop up at just the right times and are blended in well enough to not actually feel like game-stopping puzzles, but more like pieces of real-life action. I'm not sure it's possible to make a safe door that only unlatches when you've aligned rings the right way, but I totally bought it within the context of the story.

The forensic sections are brief, but a fun distraction from the object searches. In case you're not quite up on your CSI techniques, the game provides instructions to walk you through each procedure. It does remove the puzzle aspect of these levels, but it's a fair trade to make sure you don't get stuck or feel frustrated.

The gameplay of Special Enquiry Detail is top notch, but what really sets it apart is its well-crafted story, which would be right at home in any crime show. The characters are (mostly) realistic, the mystery makes sense, and the dialog is not only smart, but sounds like things people would actually say. It's a very satisfying case to solve, and combined with the great searches and pleasant variety of puzzles, it makes for a wonderful experience.

Until the characters start talking.

The voice acting in Special Enquiry Detail is so terrible that it's incredibly distracting. You'll be so amazed by its awfulness that you'll oftentimes actually forget to pay attention to what the characters are saying. (Thank heavens for subtitles.) Not only is the acting bad, but the characters sometimes flub their lines, too – the head of the SED uses "GRS" a shorthand for "gunshot residue," for example. I'm guessing it's a language barrier issue, given that the object lists also host a few flubs, such as referring to a "fleur de lis" as a "lily."

It's worth making the effort to tune out the voice acting and overlook the few minor mistakes here and there, though. It's not perfect, but Special Enquiry Detail is a very smart and satisfying adventure for mystery junkies.

Pros:
    Great dialog. Well-crafted searches and puzzles. Absorbing mystery.
Cons:
    Horrendous voice acting. Some translation mistakes.

Find this game here.
Apr 21st, 2013, 7:02 am
Apr 21st, 2013, 7:21 am
Spirit of Wandering: The Legend - Review (source)

" Bolstered by gorgeous graphics and suitably stirring music that uniquely complements each level."

Hidden object fans will swoon over the romantic hidden object adventure Spirit of Wandering: The Legend. It's the tale of a female pirate captain who loses her crew - including her lover, Jack - during an attack by the infamous ghost ship the Flying Dutchman. The crew aren't dead, but merely imprisoned in the spirit world, which means the captain must use her compass and Jack's magic orb to get them back.

Since spirits have a tendency to return to familiar places, the captain travels to locations that were important to her six crew members in an effort to pull them back into the world of the living. In order to do this, she must recover a series of items, including special "cherished" items that were especially important to each crew member.

Each location is split into several sub-scenes that contain a blend of normal and cherished items to find. Cherished items are unique in that they phase in and out of the real world, and can only be seen by holding the magic orb in front of them. To active the orb, you'll first have to find a short list of normal items and click on them with the mouse to cross them off a list. Once the orb is activated, it acts like a homing beacon. By listening to verbal cues and watching as the flames of the orb burn brighter, you can pinpoint the local of the cherished item and get it to show up.

When the cherished item is found, a new set of normal items appears, and the cycle continues until all cherished items are found in a given scene. The system works very well. Cherished items are identified by picture, while normal items are identified by a textual description which adds variety to the searching.

Item descriptions are more imaginative than the usual fare - expect to search for "Grecian pitcher of brass," "the curved blade of a soldier," "a pirate's hand pistol," and "the bust of a nobleman." Some descriptions border on riddles: "The home of golden bugs," for example, refers to a green shield adorned with gold scorpions, while "a container for timely sand," refers to an hourglass.

The lists of items are logical in the context of the game, and all adhere to an old-fashioned sea-faring pirate culture - for example, there are no CDs, computer, cars or telephones to find here. Rather, you'll be searching for things like quill pens, compasses, candlesticks, coral and wooden clocks.

When a crewmember is found they will reveal the location of a treasure trove. Treasure troves are fun mini-games where you're presented with a screen full of gold pieces and treasure, and have to try to click on as much of it as possible in 60 seconds. Replenishing your gold allows you to use your compass to give you hints if you get stuck finding a normal item. As you move the compass around the screen, the needle will rotate to point in the direction of an item.

Spirit of Wandering is bolstered by gorgeous graphics and suitably stirring music that uniquely complements each level. The game offers eighteen scenes set across six locations that include a pirate port, a primitive island village, an underwater grotto and the decks of the Flying Dutchman itself, as well as six treasure troves. This is a respectable number of levels considering that, unlike other hidden object games, you never re-visit the same scene twice.

What's more, the story is well-crafted and engaging. You'll get to know the six crew members you're looking for quite well by the end of the game thanks to colorful descriptions written in a diary-style book, and cherished items that are matched to each crew member's personality. Khikaru, for example, is the ship's look-out so it makes perfect sense that his cherished items are a spy-glass and a sexton for navigating.

While I would whole-heartedly recommend Spirit of Wandering: The Legend, there are a few issues worth noting. The first is that the riddle-like item descriptions, while clever, can often refer to more than one of the items on-screen. Finding which of the ten pots that the clue "a clay pot with a handle" actually refers to is a matter of trial-and-error that requires a bit of patience. Other times it's a simple case of two or more identical items - like barrels and beaded necklaces - appearing in different locations.

Players also can't expect to rely too much on hints, because it costs the hefty sum of 60 gold coins every time you use one. If you get stuck, you can exit to the map and try another location, or just wait it out - if you wait long enough, the game throws you a bone by briefly highlighting a hidden item. There are no time limits in Spirits of Wandering, so you can take as long as you like, however, if you randomly click on the wrong things too many times in rapid succession, you'll lose some of your precious gold.

Once story mode is completed, players can go back and play scenes individually in Advanced mode. As for the story itself, it offers a satisfying conclusion while dangling the carrot of multiple sequels to continue the adventure. We'll be waiting!

Pros:
    Great graphics and music. Interesting story and characters. Riddle-like item descriptions. Fun gold-finding mini-game.

Cons:
    Item descriptions can refer to more than one item. Game is stingy with hints.

Find this game here.
Apr 21st, 2013, 7:21 am
Apr 21st, 2013, 7:38 am
The Treasures of Mystery Island - Review (source)

" The Treasures of Mystery Island offers a bounty of entertainment value for all. "

With hidden object games more popular than ever, it’s imperative that each new debut bring something different to the table. In the case of The Treasures of Mystery Island, innovation’s offered by way of the need to assemble inventory items and use them to solve puzzles or spark off engaging mini-games. Albeit an occasionally frustrating experience due to well-concealed clues, the odd presentation hiccup and the inherent need to find small, oddly-shaped playing pieces, one needn’t fret, however. Taken together, the whole of the title adds up to a fun, eye-catching experience that’s considerably more than the sum of its individual parts.

As the story (told via attractively-animated action scenes starring characters who nonetheless look distinctly foreign and whose heads don’t naturally fit their bodies) reveals, you’re a courier named Alex. While flying over the ocean, a freak storm forces you to crash land on an uncharted isle, where the local villagers’ chieftain and shaman soon direct you towards adventure and, hopefully, eventual escape. Play mostly boils down to the usual object-hunting fare though, as you scour caves, hospitals, hunting lodges and communications centers for vital quest items. Find enough pieces lying around in a jumble of trunks, mounted heads, bookcases and other assorted everyday clutter to assemble these goods, and you can place them back where they belong. Once done, vital playing pieces and missing clues are provided, mini-games offered to help advance the tale and new locations offered for your continued exploration.

Mind you, getting ahead is easier said than done. Objects are initially broken down into tiny, hard-to-spot shards often cruelly tucked away behind other objects, housed in difficult to see nooks and crannies or made to nigh-perfectly blend in with background environments. The further you progress, lack of a general ticking timer notwithstanding, the harder locating missing bottle caps and pinecone fragments becomes to boot, as even when you think you’ve found one, these items’ miniscule size means clicking on them can be a tricky task. So make sure you go in expecting to do a little hair-pulling, even if an unlimited “tip” function (periodically replenished as the seconds pass) which helps you track down these gewgaws does help offset the aggravation factor. Oh, and a word to the wise as well, since it’s not always apparent. Sometimes, you just have to solve larger puzzles – i.e. placing nozzles back on faucets or grates back on ventilation shafts – using items you’ve collected at other locations before that last missing piece appears, no matter how much time you’ve previously wasted scouring the screen for it.

Still, with its non-linear setup and grab bag of nifty diversions (e.g. memory challenges or scenarios that demand you choose all edible items from a chain of eggplants, baseballs, oranges, dice and such scrolling by), there’s much to enjoy here. For example, a diverse range of areas to visit (jungles, waterfalls, etc.), snappy aesthetic (love those eye-catching backdrops and the map which serves as a main level hub), and nice selection of collectible trophies (awarded for speed, accuracy, ability to go without hints and so on). Certain elements – e.g. occasional sequences where “cards” featuring athletes, mechanics, waiters and little boys require you to find objects related to each, such as a sheriff’s guns and handcuffs – don’t make much sense. But what they do accomplish, though, is the addition of extra replay value, extending the title’s long-term appeal somewhat beyond where that of most competitors lies.

Neither a particular standout nor dismal failure, in the end, this is simply an entertaining, well-made saga that employs a grab bag of colorful activities and distractions to keep you clicking away. That said, regardless, we definitely dig its overt nods towards both traditional point-and-click desktop adventures as well as more contemporary hidden object titles. If you’re looking for the type of title that’s equally suited towards short or extended gaming sessions, and doesn’t mess with the standard category formula so much as slightly remix it, download away. With its one-two punch of snappy activities and sweet audiovisuals, The Treasures of Mystery Island offers a bounty of entertainment value for all.

Pros:
    Mixes hidden object with traditional adventure play; Animated story interludes; Variety of backdrops; Fun mini-games; Cards and puzzle-solving sequences extend long-term value

Cons:
    Fiendishly-placed objects; Bizarre-looking characters; Need to find item fragments vs. whole goods; A few inexplicable elements

Find this game here.
Apr 21st, 2013, 7:38 am
Apr 21st, 2013, 6:20 pm
Twisted Lands: Shadow Town - Review (source)

" Good horror payoff but a few stumbles along the way."

Zombies, snakes and murder, oh my! All of this and more awaits in Twisted Lands: Shadow Town, a new hidden object thriller in which the name of the game isn't to solve the mystery and save the world, but just to find your woman and get the heck out of Dodge. A strong start had my hopes high but in the end, a few too many missteps keep this adventure from being a truly memorable experience.

The last game to come from Alawar Stargaze, Snark Busters: Welcome to the Club, absolutely rocked my socks off, so I was eagerly looking forward to the studio's next effort. Twisted Lands: Shadow Town certainly hits most of the right notes. It's easy on the eyes, with sharp, well-defined graphics and a good variety of scenes that range from a cruise ship run aground to a spooky mansion and a mysteriously abandoned town. The hidden object searches are reasonably challenging without being obnoxiously difficult, as are the puzzle segments, although one or two can be a bit tricky unless you have the foresight to do some old-fashioned note-taking - which, for the record, is an idea I'm quite fond of. The story steps awkwardly at times but serves up a sufficiently creepy mystery that follows the descent of an entire island into a spiral of madness and murder that ultimately traps all who wander near.

It sounds like a sure-fire formula for a gripping hidden object game. So what went wrong?

The biggest problem with Shadow Town is that it's a two-hour game in a three-hour package. Way too much time is spent moving back and forth between locations for trivial purposes. And it's not just a matter of running between adjacent rooms to collect a pile of items or wrap up a two-part puzzle; you'll quite literally be making repeated trips across almost the entire map to retrieve individual objects needed to move the game forward. It may sound like nit-picking but it becomes excessive to the point of frustration, because it's obvious the developer is just trying to pad out the play time by making you run around in circles.

Heightening that annoyance is the presence of two maze sections, one of which separates two of the game's primary areas. These "fog-enshrouded paths" are small and fairly simple to navigate, especially with the aid of the hand-drawn maps left lying on the ground at the start of each, but they simply should not be there. Mazes do not contribute to the quality of a game, only to its length; this is highlighted by the fact that these sections can be easily traversed even by the most directionally-challenged players with the use of the hint function, which will keep you pointed in the right direction and lead you through step-by-step. Why even bother with a maze if the string that guides you through has already been laid?

The story has a few gaping holes but still manages to tie everything together nicely with a satisfying twist to wrap things up. The "hero" begins the game as a rather distasteful character, a deep-sea treasure hunter who clearly has no qualms about the legality or morality of his trade as long as he can make a buck from it. But his determination to save his beloved Angel from harm, no matter what the risk to himself, is admirable, revealing him to be more Han Solo than Jabba the Hutt. At the same time, peering too closely at the details is bound to result in a few tricky questions, particularly with regards to the way everything in the game apparently happened in either the early or late 20th century. Unless I missed some devious plot device that explains this apparent time-warp (and that's entirely possible), the best way to approach the Shadow Town tale is with a quick, light touch.

These may sound like minor things to complain about and in some ways they are. There's no question that Twisted Lands: Shadow Town brings a lot of goodness to the table. It looks great and it mixes in a decent number of animated cut scenes that bring the story to life. The hidden object searches are conventional but attractive and entertaining. The Collector's Edition of the game includes a built-in walkthrough and a bonus chapter set on the same desolate island that also reveals something called Twisted Lands: Insomnia - a glimpse into the future, perhaps? Most hidden object fans will probably find something here to like.

There are other rough spots. The soundtrack has a tendency to become overbearing at times and also has an unfortunate habit of starting and stopping haphazardly, leaving pauses of a minute or more between tracks. Compared to some other Collector's Edition releases, this one doesn't offer much in the way of extras. But ultimately, effective horror is all about pacing and that's where this game really stumbles. The individual components are all quite solid and the big finish, when it finally arrives, is good fun and worth waiting for. But it's all spread too thin, with way too much time-wasting filler. Twisted Lands: Shadow Town is a good game, but not great. Alawar's "new level of horror in casual games" will have to wait a little while longer.

Pros:
    Solid graphics. Engaging story.

Cons:
    Poor pacing - far too much running around for no good reason.

Find this game here.
Apr 21st, 2013, 6:20 pm
Apr 21st, 2013, 7:17 pm
Secret of Grisly Manor - Review (source)

" Although arguably a little too short, it still offers good value for its small price tag."

The Secret of Grisly Manor provides a refreshing throwback to the classic point and click puzzle adventure games in the 90s. Admittedly lacking entertaining stories telling and lead characters, the game should still strongly appeal to puzzle enthusiasts. Although arguably a little too short, it still offers good value for its small price tag

Your famous inventor grandfather has gone missing and the news of his disappearance is plastered all over the press. To your surprise you receive a letter from the old man asking you to come to his mansion as he has something “amazing to show you”. The game begins at front of the locked grand entrance of the mansion, rain pouring and lightning flashing. What’s this “amazing” secret that your grandfather speaks of? Will it be amazing enough for you to warrant your time to play Grisly Manor? Read on to find out.

If you ever had the joy of growing up in the 90s, you will remember the times of PC point and click adventure games. These were essentially a series of parallel intertwining puzzles wrapped up with witty and entertaining stories. A few of my favourites were Day of the Tentacle , Sam & Max, Full Throttle and of course the Monkey Island series. Grisly Manor plays very similar to these great games but unfortunately lacks the creative story telling and funny main characters elements that arguably make these games such classics. What Grisly Manor is however a collection of well thought out and intricate puzzles that will leave puzzle fans wanting more.

The puzzles range from easy to moderately difficult. Depending on your skill and experience level, it should take anywhere from 20 mins to 2 hours to complete this title. Grisly Manor does an adequate job in showing you how to play by displaying HUD information of where to touch in order to guide you through the first couple puzzles. From then on you are on your own as there are no hints to ease your potential frustration, luckily a quick google search should help anyone who stuck in a rut.

If you do find yourself struggling, a good way to progress before you hit google would be just to click on everything and anything that looks out of the ordinary as you will find items and passage ways in the most unlikely of places. I made a rookie mistake and was stuck at one point where I didn’t realise there was a turn around the upstairs hallway leading to additional rooms. (duh!)

Grisly Manor’s graphics presented in a photo realistic style. This surprisingly works quite well and provides a somewhat effective eerie feel to the room settings. Complimented with a non obtrusive music score it does well in convincing you that you are exploring a big, cold and mysterious mansion.

Verdict: 4/5 The Secret of Grisly Manor provides a refreshing throwback to the classic point and click puzzle adventure games in the 90s. Admittedly lacking entertaining stories telling and lead characters, the game should still strongly appeal to puzzle enthusiasts. Although arguably a little too short, it still offers good value for its small price tag.

Find this game here.
Apr 21st, 2013, 7:17 pm