Feedback or requests for help with the site.
Mar 3rd, 2018, 5:13 pm
Right now anyone can see the posts without logging in or registering an account. With the recent spotify news I worry this site will have more exposure and may be at risk. Can staff consider making the site private and not viewable to those who do not at least register/create an account. Its not a huge safe guard by any means but it does do something to limit over exposure. I imagine this has been suggested before but I was unable to find any posts discussing this. I hope you can please consider taking some precautionary measures and at least make the forum private.

Thank you.
Mar 3rd, 2018, 5:13 pm
Mar 3rd, 2018, 11:13 pm
Agree
Mar 3rd, 2018, 11:13 pm
Apr 23rd, 2018, 8:28 am
+1 I think this a good idea as well. It may reduce traffic a little, but those dedicated to join and contribute to the forum will eventually do so.
Apr 23rd, 2018, 8:28 am
May 1st, 2018, 7:34 am
Good suggestion agree on that.
May 1st, 2018, 7:34 am

SUPPORT DEVELOPERS. IF YOU LIKE IT, BUY IT.
May 14th, 2018, 1:20 am
Sounds like a good idea.
May 14th, 2018, 1:20 am

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the
moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin
May 26th, 2018, 11:38 pm
but then how will outsiders know about it?
May 26th, 2018, 11:38 pm

Without strife, your victory has no meaning.
Without strife, you do not advance.
Without strife, there is only stagnation.

Jul 3rd, 2018, 12:01 pm
Excellent idea
Jul 3rd, 2018, 12:01 pm
Aug 22nd, 2018, 4:44 pm
This is a great idea!

I would not want my forum posts to be visible. And, even if you prefer to leave the most popular apps list visible, at least prohibit anyone from entering individual threads until they register. You would still get your search engine results for leaving app file names visible.
Aug 22nd, 2018, 4:44 pm
Aug 23rd, 2018, 10:14 am
Have you considered the possibility that this may have been "considered" by the powers that be in the 12 years they have had to think about it?

It puzzles me that people who find a place they like enough to stay would want to change the very feature that helped them find the place they liked enough to stay.
Aug 23rd, 2018, 10:14 am
Aug 23rd, 2018, 3:22 pm
NovaPhoenix wrote:Have you considered the possibility that this may have been "considered" by the powers that be in the 12 years they have had to think about it?

It puzzles me that people who find a place they like enough to stay would want to change the very feature that helped them find the place they liked enough to stay.

Making the forum private does not hide the web site itself. It remains visible in web searches. Even individual app thread titles could appear in results. What is being suggested is much more specific - limiting access to the discussions in forum threads to registered members. I would even add the suggestion of requiring registration to access download links, as is common in these types of forums.

If one sits around wondering if the admin ("powers that be") have already considered everything, or concerned about people like yourself waiting to criticize every earnest suggestion, no one would ever contribute ideas. Since this thread is specifically about suggestions, it is completely appropriate. Maybe you should chill out and allow the flow of ideas to proceed...

Still puzzled?
Aug 23rd, 2018, 3:22 pm
Aug 23rd, 2018, 4:36 pm
TouchOfGrey wrote: Maybe you should chill out and allow the flow of ideas to proceed...

Still puzzled?

I rest my case :)
Aug 23rd, 2018, 4:36 pm
Aug 25th, 2018, 4:47 pm
TouchOfGrey wrote:Making the forum private does not hide the web site itself. It remains visible in web searches.
This can be easily fixed if the admin configure the site to not be cached by Google and other search engines. It is done this way:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/625 ... le-caching

I also think that is a good idea to a) remove from search engines (as suggested) and b) make it private, in a way that only registered users can see the contents. Or at least the ebook links.

This will not be good for attracting new users, but can make sure the site stays alive longer. I know one that had several links taken down (they only share movies) before doing this, and after following both suggestions this never happened again.

Besides eventually the same people who file DMCA complaints might get annoyed and decide to take action, and once a website is less visible (this way) it can get off their "radar", since only more faithful users will join. Just like private trackers.

Of course if you are going to do this please make sure new accounts can be created and that you inform an email where we can contact the admins/mods in case there's a bug in account creation, such as validation emails not being sent. I saw forums that didn't allow new registrations and there was no way to contact the admins to let them know about the issue.

Another idea is to host the site in the servers (and also countries) that allow it to stay alive and don't handle information about the owners promptly, if asked. For example, you can check with the same ones from TPB, Libgen or Slysoft (RedFox), or similar sites that managed to stay online no matter what all these powerful corporations tried to do with them.

You need to do this to avoid the same mistake from Megaupload.

In the words of Mike Mozart:

"The actual owner and staff are in New Zealand. But you know why the United States took upon himself to carry out this action? Because they had a few leased servers in Virginia.

Oh, my God, so now they can police the entire world if any company in the world has that tiniest little presence in the United States. What does that tell you if your business is overseas?

You pull all of your goddamn business out of America. If you are on the internet you don't work with an american company, you don't use our server space, you don't use our IP registrars, or you can find yourself in an american prison for the rest of your life.

YOU REMEMBER THAT
."

(Despite that comment, it's worth saying Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom was already famous when he started the site. We don't really know who's behind Libgen, RedFox and others. It's better this way, instead of painting a target on your back. They also resort to illegal spying to catch him)
Aug 25th, 2018, 4:47 pm

"Falsehood has an infinity of combinations; Truth has only one mode of being."
Oct 8th, 2018, 4:35 pm
The site earns money from Google ads. Easy to forget this if you use AdBlock, but turn it off and see what the page looks like. That's why the site is fully visible and searchable by Google, it has to be. So they want maximum pagerank, maximum pagehits.

Otherwise, if the site was hidden from Google, the owners would be begging members to pay/donate all the time as on most private sites.

It's pointless to complain. They won't change this.
Oct 8th, 2018, 4:35 pm