The graphic novels loved by children and adults alike
Jan 21st, 2012, 11:24 pm
Isn't there a possibility to modify the 'Subject' line format rule, at least for comics? Comics come most of the time in .CBR format. The 60 characters limitation make it sometimes difficult to put all the information in there, as there is the title and - more important - the writer's name. It's often important to have full writer's name in there to have the search function to be efficient. Many writers have same surname... So, couldn't there be thought to leave the '(.CBR)' addition away, and only mention when it's JPG, PDF, or another different extension? That way we'll save seven characters' space, vital to me to have full information there.

Please?

Crazy about comics? Then visit these topics: Comics news - Comics reviews. - Comics writers - Comics contests - Comics list - Similar Comics - Comics publishers - Webcomics - Motion Comics - Comics Knowledge Base - Comics: Whois? - Video reviews - Comics Art gallery - Comic book easter eggs - Support the Comic Industry...
Jan 21st, 2012, 11:24 pm
Jan 22nd, 2012, 2:23 pm
Hi Zacharie!

Leaving the .cbr away is one possibility, the second one would be to allow longer topic names. I'll see first if it is (technically) possible to have an individual topic length for the comic's section. Maybe it's good for the other ebook sections as well, because other genres do have the same problem!
Jan 22nd, 2012, 2:23 pm
Jan 22nd, 2012, 3:46 pm
Thank you for awesome fast reply here, Phex. Not sure if you should bother Big Manitou with this. I fear allowing longer subject description is not possible for comics section only. Apart from that it will ask for to many supplementary resources and forum capacity. Then if you make it longer, there will always be someone who thinks it should be more longer for one or another reason, then longer-longer, then in the end longer-longer-longer... It's ok with me to keep it as it is now, just leave away the format (CBR-PDF-JPG-etc...). What's the purpose of putting that in the subject anyway? Aren't users interested in the title and/or writer in the first place? Then it should be enough to mention the format in the description. I'm sure we can find people on the forum who will gladly convert anything if necessary, the same way as users can ask for mirrors. I speak for comics, I know regular eBooks is another approach. (Then who reads regular ebooks anyway when there's so great comics to read... :lol: )

Crazy about comics? Then visit these topics: Comics news - Comics reviews. - Comics writers - Comics contests - Comics list - Similar Comics - Comics publishers - Webcomics - Motion Comics - Comics Knowledge Base - Comics: Whois? - Video reviews - Comics Art gallery - Comic book easter eggs - Support the Comic Industry... - Army of Comics Lovers
Jan 22nd, 2012, 3:46 pm
Jan 23rd, 2012, 2:12 pm
lifehacker wrote:I'd really rather not change the length.

Ok, we'll discuss the leaving away of the format, will reply to you as soon as we have a result :-)
Jan 23rd, 2012, 2:12 pm
Jan 23rd, 2012, 2:48 pm
Phex wrote:we'll discuss...

Thank you, Phex. I trust it will be a short and efficient discussion. ;)

Phex, while I have your attention, and also while - by coincidence - we're in the middle of file server crisis, may I speak about something bothering me since a while? This site has installed link checkers some years ago, but I'm not sure they work well recently. I give two examples:

Link 1: http://rapidshare.com/files/161318105/S ... n-DZs_.cbz

Message 1: Image

Link 2: http://uploading.com/files/4ambfma/Army ... es_27.cbr/

Message 2: Image

Although both links have valuable 'Image' sign - for me at least - they are both dead. Maybe it's just for me - a cookie thing? - but I find this very annoying, especially now we're really in need to know which links can be trusted. Please, could you have a look at that too?

Crazy about comics? Then visit these topics: Comics news - Comics reviews. - Comics writers - Comics contests - Comics list - Similar Comics - Comics publishers - Webcomics - Motion Comics - Comics Knowledge Base - Comics: Whois? - Video reviews - Comics Art gallery - Comic book easter eggs - Support the Comic Industry...
Jan 23rd, 2012, 2:48 pm
Jan 30th, 2012, 7:28 am
I think that those link checkers just check to see that it is a valid link TO something, link page, file, etc. I don't think they do anything to actually check the size or contents of the file or link page. All they do is make sure the LINK itself is good.
Jan 30th, 2012, 7:28 am

"We Gladly Feast on Those Who Would Subdue Us." - Addams Family
Jan 30th, 2012, 11:09 am
Bohica60 wrote:I think that those link checkers just check to see that it is a valid link TO something, link page, file, etc. I don't think they do anything to actually check the size or contents of the file or link page. All they do is make sure the LINK itself is good.

Thank you for reply, Bo. My mistake then. I thought the link checker was intended to report working/dead links so it showed what links needed to be refreshed. Still, I don't understand what's the use to have links like this showing 'checked' when the file doesn't even exist??

http://uploading.com/files/fake

Again, it's probably only me who doesn't understand. Sorry.

Jan 30th, 2012, 11:09 am
Mar 10th, 2012, 3:31 pm
Phex wrote:Ok, we'll discuss the leaving away of the format, will reply to you as soon as we have a result :-)

January, February, March - (Boney M. — Calendar Song) - May, April, June; July.... still waiting for a reply... ;)

Crazy about comics? Then visit these topics: Comics news - Comics reviews. - Comics writers - Comics contests - Comics list - Similar Comics - Comics publishers - Webcomics - Motion Comics - Comics Knowledge Base - Comics: Whois? - Video reviews
Mar 10th, 2012, 3:31 pm
Mar 14th, 2012, 10:12 am
Zacharee wrote:
Phex wrote:Ok, we'll discuss the leaving away of the format, will reply to you as soon as we have a result :-)

January, February, March - (Boney M. — Calendar Song) - May, April, June; July.... still waiting for a reply... ;)

Oh, i forgot to discuss it with my team :? Sorry :-/

Sadly all of them voted "No".

Ojay wrote:I choose No.
Once I have a second thought about non formating file type in comics, and yes I almost agreed with that but then I realized that a new member or poster doesn't know how to figure in making a comic's release or other mod's can moved in the release into proper section, sometimes, even release with (.PDF) file type get moved into magazine.
Sorry for any dissapointment

red6devil wrote:Sorry, but for me it makes NO sense to simply leave off the format for comics while maintaining the format for all other posts.
it really isn't that difficult to adjust the title of any book or comic or mag to include the key words, and it's the key words that are used to search.

Bohica60 wrote:Yes, I understand that it shortens the available amount of spaces for placing the title. So what? We ALL face this limitation EVERY time we get a book with a longer title. Again, why should these few receive special treatment or dispensation? Again, I see no need/justification for that kind of action.

merry60 wrote:I voted NO.

Phex wrote:95% of the comics are getting released as .cbr
And we all know they are CBR because it says so in the Subject. How are users visiting the ebook Releases Page going to know it is a comic without having to open the post? it could be anything, from a MOBI to MP3. Despite what some may think, not everybody comes to the ebook section looking for comics.

I agree the number of characters could be higher, it would make things easier for ALL of us, not just comics posters. ALL of us struggle to make things fit, we ALL work around the difficulties and we ALL make it happen without breaking the rules.

Sometimes it is darn near impossible:
The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection by Alexander McCall Smith (.ePUB)

Other times it's easier:
Wulf by Steve Niles (.CBR)

Deal with it.
Mar 14th, 2012, 10:12 am
Mar 14th, 2012, 10:27 am
Thanks for the reply, administrator.

Read comics on PC? Yes, you can!: Look here.
Mar 14th, 2012, 10:27 am
Mar 15th, 2012, 11:18 am
Zacharee wrote:Thanks for the reply, administrator.

And thank you for UN-banning me. I knew it! I knew you guys have a heart and care for those enthusiast forum users, and rate friendship and love above rules. You really make us feel one big family. Thanks!
Mar 15th, 2012, 11:18 am
Mar 26th, 2012, 5:54 am
I really think we shouldn't post illustrated novels in comics topic.

Crazy about comics? Then visit these topics: Comics news - Comics reviews. - Comics writers - Comics contests - Comics list - Similar Comics - Comics publishers - Webcomics - Motion Comics - Comics Knowledge Base - Comics: Whois? - Video reviews
Mar 26th, 2012, 5:54 am
Mar 27th, 2012, 1:21 pm
Zacharie wrote:I really think we shouldn't post illustrated novels in comics topic.

Err... Which one?! :?
But we can keep an illustrated book (with some words in it ;))
Mar 27th, 2012, 1:21 pm

Labor Omnia Vincit Improbus... Hard Work Conquers Everything!
Mar 27th, 2012, 5:07 pm
I didn't say we shouldn't keep it. I'm just questioning if an illustrated book or novel should be categorized under comics.

Crazy about comics? Then visit these topics: Comics news - Comics reviews. - Comics writers - Comics contests - Comics list - Similar Comics - Comics publishers - Webcomics - Motion Comics - Comics Knowledge Base - Comics: Whois? - Video reviews - Comics Art gallery - Comic book easter eggs
Mar 27th, 2012, 5:07 pm
Mar 30th, 2012, 10:42 pm
I gotta say, I'm abolutely new at this, I'm from Argentina and in my country comics aren't really "in business" sort of saying... But i fell in love with them after i read The walking dead series! I'm going crazy searching and downloading to read more.
My favorite type of books have always been Epìc fantasy - and then maybe sci-fi, so I've been trying to hold on epic fantasy comics like this one for a while.

So, Thank you very very much, from Buenos Aires, Argentina :)

Paula
Mar 30th, 2012, 10:42 pm