Discuss Pocket PC devices here.
Apr 7th, 2012, 10:27 pm
My tmobile contract is coming to an end and im thinking of upgrading.. especially since there are faster phones now with better cameras.

I currently have a hd2 6.5 which seems to be meeting my needs. I was wondering if I should go with an android, an winmo7 or android with a 6.5 dual operating system. (if there are any firmwares out there that do that)

A couple concerns are that I think android uses the cell towers while my hd2 has true gps independent of cell service. Also, Im concerned with googles privacy rules where they monitor everything (I dont believe 6.5 does that) Also, Im used to programs like Tomtom, etc that ive downloaded.

Thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Apr 7th, 2012, 10:27 pm
Apr 22nd, 2012, 10:48 pm
gad4 wrote:My tmobile contract is coming to an end and im thinking of upgrading.. especially since there are faster phones now with better cameras.

I currently have a hd2 6.5 which seems to be meeting my needs. I was wondering if I should go with an android, an winmo7 or android with a 6.5 dual operating system. (if there are any firmwares out there that do that)

A couple concerns are that I think android uses the cell towers while my hd2 has true gps independent of cell service. Also, Im concerned with googles privacy rules where they monitor everything (I dont believe 6.5 does that) Also, Im used to programs like Tomtom, etc that ive downloaded.

Thoughts are greatly appreciated.

You have an HD2? Your phone can run 6.5, latest Android, and Windows Phone 7 Mango. All can be run nearly flawlessly. There is a large community still supporting the device on XDA. Try them all, and see what suits you best. Why would you want to upgrade?

Android phones also have true GPS (depending on the make, but I think most of the newly released phones now include the chip), and yes, to get a full experience from the Android phone, you probably need a Google account. That is why I am sticking to my LG Fathom Windows Mobile 6.5.3, and enjoying having a pocket pc rather than a phone with a bunch of apps and a necessary internet connection.

That being said, Android phones and Windows Phone 7 also have offerings for GPS maps such as TomTom that you can download to the device, but I just generally like the feel of Windows Mobile much better - it feels like I have a computer in my hand.

I have recently upgraded to an HTC Trophy Windows Phone 7, and although I do like the OS and see its potential, I still like Windows Mobile 6.5 better.
Apr 22nd, 2012, 10:48 pm