If it does not belong anywhere else and has to do with iPad post it here.
Feb 21st, 2012, 6:29 am
I just bought my iPad 2 today. So I am very very new at this! Also, am new to Apple... Anyway... to my question.

I have a boatload of books on my Kindle and I have no idea how to transfer them to my iPad. I have been using Calibre to transfer books from my computer to my Kindle (ie. books I have gotten from *here* - obviously not ones bought from Amazon) and I assumed I could do the same thing for the iPad but Calibre isn't recognizing it.

I've tried turning on the iPad. Then opening the Kindle app. But nothing. Calibre just won't recognize it and thus I can't drag any books into the iPad.

Or... is there another e-reader (free, please!) app that I should download instead of the Kindle app to read the books instead?

Or... must I give up the hope of reading the books I've gotten from here on my iPad??? :(

Any and all help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!!!
Feb 21st, 2012, 6:29 am
Feb 21st, 2012, 6:30 am
Sorry -- forgot to mention in my original post that I don't have any plans to jailbreak it. At least, not at this point.
Feb 21st, 2012, 6:30 am
Feb 21st, 2012, 5:55 pm
After a bit of playing around and downloading iTunes to my computer (I didn't have it on my PC), I have managed to transfer the books. So please ignore this whole thread. Sorry!

For future reference to anyone who doesn't know how to do it, open iTunes on your computer. Make sure your iPad is synced to itunes on your computer. Go to File, then Add File to Library. Find the file you want and click Choose (on my laptop, that option is "Open"). Once it shows up in the Library, then click "Sync to ___" (whatever your iPad is named - ie. "Pinklily's iPad").
Feb 21st, 2012, 5:55 pm
Jun 17th, 2012, 5:57 pm
There's a Kindle App for iPad. It will download any books you've bought from Amazon. For other books use Dropbox. A great app.
Jun 17th, 2012, 5:57 pm
Aug 4th, 2012, 9:55 pm
If you have a Kindle and bought your books legally on the Kindle and want to transfer it to your iPad, you should use the Kindle App from the AppStore.

Once you signed in to your amazon app, you should be able to log in to your Amazon.com user account and download all the legal copies of your books to your app. Or alternatively, you can find the epub version on this forum and download to your PC, drag and drop into your ipad.

So it's really up to you!

Good luck!
Aug 4th, 2012, 9:55 pm
Aug 19th, 2012, 5:07 am
For the record, I have an iPad 2 and use Calibre no problems.
Aug 19th, 2012, 5:07 am
Sep 6th, 2012, 2:37 am
I often use iFile with it's "Open In" function, so I can just pull files directly from my network shares and bypass iTunes altogether.
Sep 6th, 2012, 2:37 am
Oct 17th, 2012, 4:31 pm
msbookworm wrote:There's a Kindle App for iPad. It will download any books you've bought from Amazon. For other books use Dropbox. A great app.

thanks. i need to get Dropbox!
Oct 17th, 2012, 4:31 pm
Nov 3rd, 2012, 7:50 pm
again just email them to your ipad
Nov 3rd, 2012, 7:50 pm
Nov 14th, 2012, 3:05 pm
You can use dropbox to import books to you iPad with all the ebook clients, including Kindle.

I mainly use Bluefire Reader and Good Reader, But as I say, sideloading via dropbox is the quickest and easiest method.

I just keep a shortcut folder on the left of Finder called "for iPad" - it links to my iPad book folder in dropbox. i just drop in any books i wish to upload, then use the open in functionality in the dropbox app to choose my iPad client (Usually Bluefire) and I am all set.
Nov 14th, 2012, 3:05 pm

"Its no more extraordinary to be born twice, than to be born once" - Voltaire
Nov 29th, 2012, 11:39 am
wow, I never thought to email the ebooks to my iPad. Once I email them, how do i get them from my email into the books app?
Nov 29th, 2012, 11:39 am
Feb 24th, 2013, 7:43 am
Open your email account from your ipad, open the message you emailed to your self then download, after you've download the file touch it, a message will prompt where u want to open it. All apps in your ipad that can be used to open document will be there . Base on my experience ibooks is still the best to use when opening pdf and epub files
Feb 24th, 2013, 7:43 am
Feb 26th, 2013, 5:27 pm
I usually use email or dropbox
You can also transfer through iTunes or calibre.
Feb 26th, 2013, 5:27 pm
Feb 27th, 2013, 6:29 pm
Use Calibre to convert your ebooks to .epub then compress them to .zip/.rar file by selecting all and right clicking on them. (so you can upload it all with just 1 file) Now upload that compressed file with your .epub files to an FTP website like http://limelinx.com/ and you will be issued a download link.

Now download this app on your iPad: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/izip.co ... 82040?mt=8

That basically allows you to open .zip or .rar files on your iPad

Now go to the download link you were issued on your iPad (on Safari) and click download.

The app i told you to download will now open and simply tap on the apps you want to add to iBooks
Feb 27th, 2013, 6:29 pm