Discuss iPad apps here.
Nov 21st, 2013, 12:56 am
Since the ios7 update for ibooks totally ruins the look and feel of what was my favorite app, are there any decent alternatives available? Or should I just look into buying a dedicated eReader?
Nov 21st, 2013, 12:56 am

Winter is Here....
Nov 21st, 2013, 2:58 am
I understand, I had the same thing happen to me after the last update, the reader I used was suddenly dead and I was left looking for a decent ereader. Frankly I have as yet to find one that I like as much as my original one but I did find some alternatives, the one I would recommend is the free uBooks app though they also have one to buy I also like iheartbooks ereader but it is no longer free and its library function isn't great though the rest does what I want in a ereader. If you find a better ereader let me know as this is something I want to know aswell, and ive dled and tried many ereader apps hoping to find one I like.
Nov 21st, 2013, 2:58 am
Nov 30th, 2013, 5:35 am
I'm using Dropbox to store books in various formats, but I can then open them wherever. I've got the main ones - Kindle/Kobo/iBooks. I've also got the Google Play Books but that's not very exciting to me. What don't you like in particular? I don't think any of the tablet ereader apps are that great, compared to the ease of use of the dedicated devices. I love the fact that I can read comics or colour on them, but ease of reading and battery life makes me use them only when I'm desperate and haven't got a reader with me.

My daughter was admitted to hospital overnight in September, and I wore my iPad Mini out with several hours of reading on it. I got my husband to bring in my charger and my ereader, and continued reading on the Kobo which was much better at the time. Now I've got a Kobo Glo and a Kindle Paperwhite, and I love them both for different reasons. I think I like the Paperwhite the best, but the Kobo's got some other features I like too.

It depends how long you read at a time, what sort of stuff you read, as to what device might be best for your needs.
Nov 30th, 2013, 5:35 am
Jan 5th, 2014, 7:50 pm
Thank you all for your advice. I am still using ibooks on my ipad mini as I haven't upgraded it to ios7 yet (and don't intend to), but ibooks on my ipad2 with ios7 is totally ruined IMHO. I took spersephone's advice and bought myself a dedicated eReader, a Kobo AuraHD, which I am loving so far for reading at home in the evenings. I still take my iPad mini to work for reading in my spare time as it is much more durable than the Kobo.

I just downloaded Marvin onto my ipad2 and so far it looks amazing.
Jan 5th, 2014, 7:50 pm

Winter is Here....
Jan 9th, 2014, 9:34 pm
I don't understand how to open a book I already have. I have several ebook reader apps but they seem to only want to find books I purchased through them. Is there a trick?
Jan 9th, 2014, 9:34 pm
Jan 31st, 2014, 7:50 pm
I currently use Marvin on both my iPad and Touch. It is loaded with features. You can download books from Dropbox and other accounts. You can try a limited version for free. I purchased the paid version. It's the only reader I use. Only drawback is there is no support for PDF. Marvin only reads epubs. But it's the best.

http://www.marvinapp.com
Jan 31st, 2014, 7:50 pm

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them."
Mark Twain
Jul 10th, 2017, 2:09 am
Is there a single app that will read epub, pdf, cbr/cbz? Preferably free and will work with a 1st gen iPad (5.1.1)?
Jul 10th, 2017, 2:09 am

Use this. It's free. https://www.libraryextension.com/
A link to my family's fiction wishlist is posted in my profile.
Rules apply.
WRZ$20 each.
No PDFs, PDF conversions or archive.org scans (I can get those myself).
Jul 12th, 2017, 7:48 am
Actually, never mind. I found one for $1.
Jul 12th, 2017, 7:48 am

Rules apply.
WRZ$20 each.
Jun 18th, 2021, 12:50 pm
i use 'total reader.' i find it best
Jun 18th, 2021, 12:50 pm
Sep 9th, 2021, 1:09 pm
I just downloaded Marvel. What I do is send ebooks to myself in another email program....gmail for instance...then just click on them and they open in Marvel. Easy peasy ! :)
Sep 9th, 2021, 1:09 pm
Jul 5th, 2023, 9:12 pm
Anonyma'am wrote:Actually, never mind. I found one for $1.

What app did you find? Do you like it?
Jul 5th, 2023, 9:12 pm
Jul 6th, 2023, 12:12 am
eterry2 wrote:
Anonyma'am wrote:Actually, never mind. I found one for $1.

What app did you find? Do you like it?

I can't for the life of me remember. In fact, I don't even know where the iPad is exactly...
Jul 6th, 2023, 12:12 am

Rules apply.
WRZ$20 each.