Discuss iPad apps here.
Apr 6th, 2011, 1:04 pm
Most comics released on this site are in the formats: CBR/CBZ, Jpg and PDF

Could you please elaborate what program or application is needed to be able to view those on iPad?

Appreciated!
Apr 6th, 2011, 1:04 pm
Apr 7th, 2011, 4:32 pm
ga!nusha wrote:Heelo Zacharie!

For reading comic books you can use one of these 2 apps released here:
They both read cbz/cbr/pdf/rar
Comic Zeal: viewtopic.php?f=348&t=173224&hilit=comic
iComic: viewtopic.php?f=348&t=170925&hilit=icomic

If the comic is a simple PDF you can also use the built in PDF app called iBooks.

Aah... ga!nusha - who else? - our site's iKid. Thank you so much for your reply. Weird you are still on this site... You would make a perfect answering machine in a world where people would take it for granted to spread complicated questions and requests... Ow? Perhaps you are indeed at the right place here... Haha! Anyway, your reply has been added to the Comics news page. Strange how it suddenly gets more colourful now your name appears there... ;)

Should anybody feel the need to add something more to this info - maybe about reading .jpg on iPad/iPhone - feel free to do that here, or directly in the news topic.

Thanks again, iKid!
Apr 7th, 2011, 4:32 pm
Mar 22nd, 2012, 10:38 pm
Are there any newer CBR Ipad specific anyone reccomends?
Mar 22nd, 2012, 10:38 pm
Apr 1st, 2012, 1:37 am
I use ComicZeal is simply excellent for the job, you can add your comics in cbr or cbz, the interface is friendly and you can organize your library in the app, and even has an option to show your comic in a manga mode from the end to beginning, and the last version looks great, i truly recommend it. you can find it in the appstore and this is its webpage:

http://www.comiczealapp.com/
Apr 1st, 2012, 1:37 am
Apr 2nd, 2012, 8:09 pm
Comic Zeal is awesome. The sorting is a little confusing, but the author has been listening to some feedback, but it's great for reading. And to clarify, the sorting and folders is great, it's just not very iPadish.

The price jumped around a little, but has stabilized at $4.99 (currently) is the lowest it's ever been.

April 2016 UPDATE: Comic Zeal hasn't been updated in a while and more than a few people are complaining about some password/authentication issues. The author hasn't been responding in the forums for ages (Oct 2015?).

I've moved over to Chunky (free to user for basic reading, but I recommend paying for the full) and been even more happy with it, they respond to my questions/feedback.
Apr 2nd, 2012, 8:09 pm
Aug 25th, 2012, 9:00 pm
Comic Zeal for me, preference only of course.
Aug 25th, 2012, 9:00 pm
Sep 17th, 2012, 8:44 am
Is comic flow any good ?
Sep 17th, 2012, 8:44 am
Sep 22nd, 2012, 10:59 am
iCloud. I use iCloud for my comics in iPhone or iPad.
Sep 22nd, 2012, 10:59 am
Oct 4th, 2014, 2:18 pm
I recently got an iPad Air (first Apple product) and I tried many free programs for epub/mobi/cbr.
The best cbr viewer for me is ComicFlow. I tried others but I think this is for me.
Oct 4th, 2014, 2:18 pm

Please send me a private message if my links are down and I will try to fix them as soon as possible. Thanks.
Nov 29th, 2014, 3:06 am
I suggested Comic Zeal two-and-a-half years ago (above) and it's still my preference. Lots of improvements over the last few years.

I've tried a few others, but this is still my favorite.

A little steep at $4.99 (since that's the only way to try it), but it's definitely worth it. (Price has only dropped below that once in 4.5 years, and that was $3.99 for less than a week.)

April 2016 UPDATE: Comic Zeal hasn't been updated in a while and more than a few people are complaining about some password/authentication issues. The author hasn't been responding in the forums for ages (Oct 2015?).

I've moved over to Chunky (free to user for basic reading, but I recommend paying for the full) and been even more happy with it, they respond to my questions/feedback.
See my comments below...
Nov 29th, 2014, 3:06 am
Nov 16th, 2015, 6:50 pm
CHUNKY is a great free reader for iPad. You can just drag over into iTunes and the files sync, it's super fast (it doesn't process the whole comic like Comic Zeal does) to import.

It will synchronize with a iCloud folder which is super convenient since you can sync multiples very easy.

You can access DropBox and Box flies, it's kind of hiden though: under the Cloud icon choose EDIT and "+" and you can add services.

It works great for FREE and if you want additional features it has some in app purchases (or even just a donation). I played with it a bit and didn't feel like it was missing a thing. I'd pay an IAP if it would synchronize easily with a folder on DropBox or my network.

Code: Select allhttps://itunes.apple.com/us/app/comic-zeal-comic-book-reader/id363990983?mt=8
Nov 16th, 2015, 6:50 pm
Nov 16th, 2015, 6:57 pm
Just an FYI:

CHUNKY works great on the new iPad Pro.

The new iPad Pro is pretty much the same height as a standard comic book, maybe a 1/10th of a inch taller (and a little wider) so it's perfect.
It seems huge compared to reading comics on my old retina iPad.
On top of that, it'll zoom in (automatically) to remove the boarder around the edge of the comic making it even larger...

I'm going totally digital now. No magazines, comics or books (except maybe reference material / manuals).
Nov 16th, 2015, 6:57 pm
Dec 31st, 2015, 12:11 am
Yacreader (yet another comic reader) is the best.

yacreader.com
Dec 31st, 2015, 12:11 am