Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules. Post count not affected.
Apr 4th, 2024, 3:04 am
Wondering if it actually works
Apr 4th, 2024, 3:04 am
Apr 18th, 2024, 6:54 pm
Yes, it works, my sister has been on it for about a year now, and she has lost quite a bit, but the side effects can be quite unpleasant ( you'll have to google that). Also, like any other weight loss programme, people who stop it will put the weight back on again.
The idea of going on the injections is to be done in conjunction with a re-training of eating habits, re-programme ourselves so to speak. That's still experimental at this stage, although I believe the drug is available on prescription anyway. Cart before the horse, IMO.

HTH
Apr 18th, 2024, 6:54 pm

SUPPORT DEVELOPERS. IF YOU LIKE IT, BUY IT.
Apr 18th, 2024, 7:05 pm
Das Bookster wrote: Cart before the horse, IMO.

Well, considering that the weight loss itself is just a side effect of it controlling blood sugar in type 2 diabetics, I don't believe it really is a cart before the horse situation. Truth of the matter is that Ozempic never should have been offered to overweight people who do not have diabetes. I know they now make a non-diabetic version called Wengovy and THAT is definitely cart-before-horse, but when used for what it was originally intended, Ozempic is simply wonderful. I've been on it for about 18 months now as a diabetic control and it has really brought my A1C down, helped stabilize my blood sugars and help me lose a little weight as well (alas, I am one of those whom the weight loss side effect doesn't affect).

Tell your sister to see about trying Wengovy instead - it's formulated to minimize side effects from a non-diabetic taking a diabetic drug.
Apr 18th, 2024, 7:05 pm

Reality can be beaten with enough imagination.

- Mark Twain
Apr 20th, 2024, 1:11 pm
These drugs are very expensive. Sure many people will lose weight, but the effect is only temporary, unless appropriate modifications to the diet are made.

The main culprit is carbohydrates. Yes eating fats is not ideal, but it's the carbs that will quickly increase weight. Pasta, pizza, any breads, pastries, sweet treats, even potatoes (and worse is french fries), sugar drinks (cola), fruit etc, etc, etc. Starches are simply a string of sugar molecules and the body breaks down the starches to the corresponding sugars (mostly glucose but can also include lactose, galactose, etc). Excess sugars are converted to fats and stored by the body for future use but the future use never comes because the diet constantly gets an influx of more starches.

The weight loss drugs act by removing the sugars from the bloodstream, you pee the sugar out. When you stop the drug and if you haven't changed your diet, you start to buildup the fat again because the starches you are eating are, once again, being stored as fat.

In some people, the other big downfall is drinking beer and wine. Not only is beer loaded with carbs (maltose) but the alcohol is just another form of sugar. The liver will detoxify by converting alcohol to glucose. Ever heard the expression "beer belly".

The real secret is not taking drugs to get an "easy fix" that will not sustain, but to change the eating habits. Cut down the carbs a lot, eat and drink in moderation. Nothing wrong with eating a hamburger and a glass of wine, as long as the hamburger has no bun and the glass of wine is 4 ounces. Don't laugh, I've seen people go to Burger King and order a burger with no bun. I say "Bravo and Kudos" to them.
Apr 20th, 2024, 1:11 pm