Jun 30th, 2018, 7:45 pm
a visionary and pioneer of modern sci-fi, there will never be another like him, he broke all the molds
Jun 30th, 2018, 7:45 pm
Jul 23rd, 2018, 1:35 am
It would have been interesting to watch god and the devil (not that they exist, but it's a fun thought experiment) arguing vehemently over who gets him. Not that it would have made much difference to Mr. Ellison, he was a "card-carrying atheist" as he said. It's also well worth watching the documentary "Harlan Ellison: Dreams with Sharp Teeth."
Jul 23rd, 2018, 1:35 am
Jul 28th, 2018, 4:32 am
RIP... a brilliant man has left us.

I grew up with his stuff, consumed every bit I could get. He's not as well known as others who have passed recently, like Sir Terry Pratchett (RIP good sir), but he should have been
Jul 28th, 2018, 4:32 am
Apr 29th, 2019, 9:51 pm
Oh, easily one of the greatest story crafters and imaginators. What is less known is his outstanding, hilarious narrative abilities. Just try to listen to any of his audiobooks narrated by him. The stories he wrote, read by him come together perfectly.
Goodbye Harlan Ellison.
Apr 29th, 2019, 9:51 pm
May 1st, 2019, 11:33 pm
KeyshaJ wrote:RIP... a brilliant man has left us.

I grew up with his stuff, consumed every bit I could get. He's not as well known as others who have passed recently, like Sir Terry Pratchett (RIP good sir), but he should have been

I agree wholeheartedly. Although his abrasive personality turned off a few, he was a brilliant crafter of short stories. Have most if not all of his earlier paperbacks and hardcovers. Met him once at a sci fi con.
May 1st, 2019, 11:33 pm
Oct 13th, 2019, 9:00 pm
One of the best. A giant. Followed just after Le Guin, Jack Vance, P. J. Farmer... All of which shaped scifi in their own unique ways. Never met him. Never could, but I am sad he is no longer among us.
Oct 13th, 2019, 9:00 pm
Feb 5th, 2021, 7:31 pm
scomman wrote:http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-harlan-ellison-20180628-story.html

He was a writer of several well loved Star Trek episode " City on the Edge of Forever" and The novels " The Boy and his Dog" and "I have no mouth but I must Scream"

Harlan wrote one episode of Star Trek. Just one. It was brilliantly written but never filmed. Instead Roddenberry & Co. filmed a portion of Ellison's script with Roddenberry re-writing some himself. Roddenberry was to a great extent a manipulative parasite. Gene Roddenberry's success was based in large part on ripping off those around him. In this he was wonderfully successful.

It's "A Boy and His Dog" not "The Boy..." And it's "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" not "...but I must Scream"

Neither "A Boy and His Dog" nor "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" were novels --not even close. "A Boy and His Dog" was, years after its initial publication in 1969, rolled into a much larger work entitled BLOOD'S A ROVER but even this was not marketed or sold as a novel. This contained three related stories, "Eggsucker," "Blood's a Rover," and "A Boy and His Dog"

No wonder Ellison was so fucking angry most of the time.

--Karl,
Feb 5th, 2021, 7:31 pm