Jun 26th, 2021, 11:58 pm
These Old Shades, by Georgette Heyer
Jun 26th, 2021, 11:58 pm
Jul 20th, 2021, 1:58 am
Manitou series by Graham Masterton
Jul 20th, 2021, 1:58 am
Aug 2nd, 2021, 5:40 am
Not so much a favourite book this, just a whinge session. Finished reading "Lovecraft Country" by Matt Ruff last night. I watched the TV series not long ago before reading the book and as with almost all adaptions (be it movies or TV) they threw about 70% of the source material away and screwed around with what was left. Was not in the least little bit impressed.

The worst adaption of a book into a movie I have seen to date was the almost complete destruction of Jeff VanderMeer's "Annihilation." Literally, the only similarity between the two was the title.

I'm dreading to think what is going to happen with the adaption of "Foundation" by Isaac Asimov that's coming out in roughly two months.

Anyway, it's been a few years, I'm off to watch Guest House Paradiso with Adrian Edmonson and the late Rik Mayall.
Aug 2nd, 2021, 5:40 am
Aug 2nd, 2021, 8:56 am
Scunzero wrote:Not so much a favourite book this, just a whinge session. Finished reading "Lovecraft Country" by Matt Ruff last night. I watched the TV series not long ago before reading the book and as with almost all adaptions (be it movies or TV) they threw about 70% of the source material away and screwed around with what was left. Was not in the least little bit impressed.

Well, I liked the TV series, but only about half of it was derived from the book, and neither of them was "Lovecraftian" in tone, despite namechecking Shoggoths and the man himself.
A bit disappointed that the only text of Lovecraft quoted was a racist verse that was never actually published, and is not at all the reason he is important. But it's the only thing about him a lot of people know now.
The Cthulhu in WWI dream was pretty cool though.

Scunzero wrote:The worst adaption of a book into a movie I have seen to date was the almost complete destruction of Jeff VanderMeer's "Annihilation." Literally, the only similarity between the two was the title.
I'm dreading to think what is going to happen with the adaption of "Foundation" by Isaac Asimov that's coming out in roughly two months.

A lot of competition for "worst adaptation". Recently, "I Robot", "World War Z" must be contenders for both throwing out the book story completely.
"Foundation" I have more hope for, and the new "Dune", after seeing the trailers.
In neither book is there an actual hero, so see if they make Seldon and Paul respectively fit that role.
Aug 2nd, 2021, 8:56 am
Aug 5th, 2021, 12:46 am
A new favorite to me: Pitch Black, by Elise Noble.
Aug 5th, 2021, 12:46 am
Aug 29th, 2021, 1:55 am
Blake and Mortimer comic book series by Edgar P. Jacobs. The series has been going since 1946, I discovered it about two years ago.
Doc Savage series by Lester Dent, et al.
Oh yes, and Doc Savage: His Apocalyptic Life - Philip José Farmer's fictional biography of the character.
Aug 29th, 2021, 1:55 am
Sep 2nd, 2021, 12:27 am
I can't remember if I've mentioned this before or not, but a comfort read for me is Written in Red by Anne Bishop. Heck, my current password comes from that book. :>
Sep 2nd, 2021, 12:27 am
Sep 21st, 2021, 11:27 pm
The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide.
The Complete Little Nemo (2 volumes) by Windsor McCay. The publishers, Taschen Books, reprinted them in their original broadsheet size in hardback with each volume weighing in at roughly 4 kilos so they definitely aren't something you want to read in bed.

Oh yes, I'm not holding out much hope for the TV version of Foundation after seeing a couple of trailers. About the only thing they have in common are the names of some from the characters and the title of the book.

I made it through the first episode and it's a complete travesty of Asimov's book. Decided to watch the second episode and made it to 13 minutes and turned it off. Will not be wasting any more time on this horrendous crap. It's a shame that Harlan Ellison died, his views on this garbage would have been a real eye opener.
Sep 21st, 2021, 11:27 pm
Oct 12th, 2021, 10:43 pm
This time it's Robert Rankin. I was in a second book shop one day years ago and found a copy of "Nostradamus Ate My Hamster" and needless to say that after reading it was hooked.
Oct 12th, 2021, 10:43 pm
Oct 20th, 2021, 1:15 am
Re-reading Outfoxed, by R.J. Blain. First book in the Fox Witch series. I really like the world building in the new story universe she's created here.
Oct 20th, 2021, 1:15 am
Nov 5th, 2021, 11:31 pm
Bryant and May series by Christopher Fowler.
Nov 5th, 2021, 11:31 pm
Nov 18th, 2021, 1:16 am
Hounded, by Kevin Hearne.
Nov 18th, 2021, 1:16 am
Dec 11th, 2021, 9:08 pm
Did You Know What Ed Gein Done? by Harold Schechter and Eric Powell.
Dec 11th, 2021, 9:08 pm
Dec 16th, 2021, 3:05 am
The Rake and the Reformer, by Mary Jo Putney
Dec 16th, 2021, 3:05 am
Jan 15th, 2022, 10:39 pm
Book written by a long time friend: Graeme Cliffe - “Sunbeams” to Sunset : The rise and Fall of the Australian Comic Book (1924 to 1965).
Jan 15th, 2022, 10:39 pm