Jun 24th, 2021, 1:05 am
After reading a number of books in the lately that kept me awake way past my usual (to borrow a phrase from The Goodies) sleepy bo-boes I thought why not find out what other readers have had the same problem.

For me:

Last night it was Neal Asher - Jack Four.
A couple of nights earlier was Bob Burden - Flaming Carrot Omnibus Volume 1.
Jun 24th, 2021, 1:05 am
Jun 26th, 2021, 5:11 pm
It’s rare that a book will keep me up late, it’s only ever happened with Erikson’s Malazan series.

Comics are a different matter though, I’ve been staying up late reading Nick Spencer’s Amazing Spider-Man run as well as Hickman’s X-Men.
I’m also going to re-read Jeff Smith’s ‘Bone’ Omnibus in one sitting, that will keep me going for some hours I imagine.
Jun 26th, 2021, 5:11 pm
Jul 26th, 2021, 1:16 pm
Back in the days I was one of the few kids in school that stayed up late at night because of reading :D Now I use the books for easy falling asleep since I have problems with that and it was hard in the beginning, but when you go for it with determination it pays off.

So my books will be childish, but they definitely kept me company all night - Winnetou was the first one and The hound of the Baskervilles is the second. I was sooooo afraid to put down The hound of the Baskervilles :D But after that I was hooked for life! And Harry Potter, ofc, but I kinda don't count it anymore :D
Jul 26th, 2021, 1:16 pm
Jan 3rd, 2022, 12:21 pm
The Devil's Advocate by Morris West
Jan 3rd, 2022, 12:21 pm

Please PM me if links are dead, and I will do my best to refresh them.
Jan 29th, 2022, 3:19 pm
I'd say any book written by a favourite author.

But one of the books really kept me up all night is that one gay romance book, "Complimentary Colors" by Adrienne Wilder.
It's painful to read. Hobestly, I've only read it because of a Book Challenge. And for myself, I can only say that I wouldn't read it again for the second time.
It was a great book for me but I also struggled because of the multiple triggers (which I wasn't aware at all). I can't remember the last time I cried that hard because of a book. I mean, I am an emotional wreck most of the time when reading. But this one's a kind of 'my heart really aches' book. It will always be on my list of great reads, but won't read it again.
Jan 29th, 2022, 3:19 pm

Hello! I regret to inform everyone that I will not be able to re-upload dead links as my laptop is dead and my charger too. I haven’t found a replacement yet. IF A POST EXPIRES, PLEASE MAKE A NEW REQUEST. I apologise for the inconvenience. Thank you for understanding.
Jan 29th, 2022, 6:03 pm
Just recently read Bryce O'Connor's Iron Prince, first of a series. I had no intention of staying up to read it when I started about 9pm - was just going to let it get "established" and then go to bed. I finished it at 10am the next morning. I just couldn't put it down. It's something of a Young Adult book but there's an intensity to the writing that really draws you in.
Jan 29th, 2022, 6:03 pm
Nov 13th, 2022, 12:50 pm
Discovery of Witches trilogy by Deborah Harkness
Nov 13th, 2022, 12:50 pm
Nov 13th, 2022, 8:21 pm
oldphotogurl wrote:Pet Semetary byStephen King

Funny story about this book. I read it shortly after it first came out and at the time, the guy I was living with worked until midnight. He always called me before he started home and this night I told him that I be finishing with the book about when he got home.

So I'm reading and reading, totally enthralled by the story and, as you know, the book ends with him sitting in his office waiting and then his wife touches his shoulder. I closed the book and just sat there, staring straight ahead as I absorbed the ending. Suddenly a hand touches my shoulder, "I'm home," says a low voice at the same time.

I screamed bloody murder and fell off the couch trying to get away, I was so terrified while HE is laughing so hard he almost falls down himself.

Turns out the bastard had snuck in and been watching me for several minutes while I finished the book, just waiting to spring that on me. Gave me nightmares for weeks.

I haven't read a Stephen King novel since. I still greatly admire his abilities, but my lingering stress over that incident keeps me away.
Nov 13th, 2022, 8:21 pm

Reality can be beaten with enough imagination.

- Mark Twain
Dec 14th, 2023, 8:42 pm
Any books by shelly laurenston
Dec 14th, 2023, 8:42 pm