Mar 2nd, 2021, 7:03 am
Hi, I searched for an answer to this question but couldn't find anything that addressed this point specifically, so sorry if this is common knowledge. I just wanted to be totally clear about it.

With regard to e-book requests, does the 2-bump rule only apply to the OP of the thread bumping it, or to all bumping of the thread by anyone? In other words, if a request is bumped by users other than the OP, do those bumps count toward the 2 bumps allowed, or does the OP have their own 2 bumps to use, and other users have their own? Am I making sense? :lol:
Mar 2nd, 2021, 7:03 am
Mar 2nd, 2021, 10:37 am
Hi there,

Everyone on a thread gets 2 bumps as long as the thread is not too long or there are too many bumping.

The OP always has two bumps, regardless of how many others bump their topic.

With the others in the same thread, they are free to bump twice, unless there is a note after 6 bumps to say only the OP can bump. We limit the numbers to around 6 bumps or some threads (especially for newly released popular books) can quickly get too long and unwieldy.

Dazzler24 wrote:Hi, I searched for an answer to this question but couldn't find anything that addressed this point specifically, so sorry if this is common knowledge. I just wanted to be totally clear about it.

With regard to e-book requests, does the 2-bump rule only apply to the OP of the thread bumping it, or to all bumping of the thread by anyone? In other words, if a request is bumped by users other than the OP, do those bumps count toward the 2 bumps allowed, or does the OP have their own 2 bumps to use, and other users have their own? Am I making sense? :lol:
Mar 2nd, 2021, 10:37 am

Mar 2nd, 2021, 2:39 pm
The OP always has two bumps, regardless of how many others bump their topic.

Okay, this is exactly what I wanted to know. All is clear now - thanks very much!
Mar 2nd, 2021, 2:39 pm
May 10th, 2021, 11:11 pm
Very informative. That's what I'd describe this site. I live in a developing third world country where books are as expensive as a rich person's meal for the day— I could've used Mobilism back then for the resources. But I'm glad the new generation gets the help they needed. Thank you Admins. You're all the best.
May 10th, 2021, 11:11 pm

Hello! I regret to inform everyone that I will not be able to re-upload dead links as my laptop is dead and my charger too. I haven’t found a replacement yet. IF A POST EXPIRES, PLEASE MAKE A NEW REQUEST. I apologise for the inconvenience. Thank you for understanding.
Jul 27th, 2021, 5:52 am
As a long retired FidoNet sysop, I gotta say 'hats off to some of those major posters'. File sharing would be vulnerable to system upsets not to mention the shifting sands of cyberspace. With so many variables not directly within their control, I'm assuming that most of them utilize cloud services as their data back repository or they wouldn't be able to survive a never ending encumbrance. I've always been grateful for the posters and have been appreciative of link renewals but I didn't necessarily expect them since untold numbers of events and circumstances could prevent that. So, to any posters that share, thank you very very much.
Jul 27th, 2021, 5:52 am
May 16th, 2022, 6:14 am
Another Etiquette question please, and I have spent a fair bit of time searching through the forums before asking here, including reading the topic suggested in post #2 on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4367788

When I find a dead link I first check if the OP appears to be active, and if so write privately to ask for a refresh.
I don't just write a say: "link dead, want a new one". I always say please and thank you . . . heck, it costs nothing to be polite. :)

If I do not get a response within a few days but I can see that the PM has been read, how long do I wait before trying something else? Asking the OP again might be swamping their Inbox, and I don't want to go bothering the Moderators unless I have to.

Thanks.
May 16th, 2022, 6:14 am
May 16th, 2022, 7:01 am
SurfWitch wrote:Another Etiquette question please, and I have spent a fair bit of time searching through the forums before asking here, including reading the topic suggested in post #2 on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4367788

When I find a dead link I first check if the OP appears to be active, and if so write privately to ask for a refresh.
I don't just write a say: "link dead, want a new one". I always say please and thank you . . . heck, it costs nothing to be polite. :)

If I do not get a response within a few days but I can see that the PM has been read, how long do I wait before trying something else? Asking the OP again might be swamping their Inbox, and I don't want to go bothering the Moderators unless I have to.

Thanks.

Visiting the site doesn't necessarily mean that the person is an active poster, which is why the Rules say that "If you don't get a reply from the OP within 3 days max., report to a moderator."
May 16th, 2022, 7:01 am

May 16th, 2022, 7:10 am
merry60 wrote:If you don't get a reply from the OP within 3 days max., report to a moderator."

Brilliant! :D That is the info I failed to find for myself.

Thank you so much.
May 16th, 2022, 7:10 am
Jun 11th, 2022, 12:38 am
Hi, now that ebook requests and audiobook requests have been separated, can we please have a template for audiobook requests? (just like the one for ebook requests).
If a request is posted in the wrong section (ebook/audiobook), will the moderators correct it? The separation of categories is fairly recent, and many may not yet be used to it.
It seems that all fulfilled requests appear in a single category. Are there any plans to separate fulfilled requests in the same way?
Thanks!
Jun 11th, 2022, 12:38 am

"Not ignorance, but ignorance of ignorance, is the death of knowledge".

Alfred North Whitehead
Jun 11th, 2022, 6:54 am
philosopher201 wrote:Hi, now that ebook requests and audiobook requests have been separated, can we please have a template for audiobook requests? (just like the one for ebook requests).
If a request is posted in the wrong section (ebook/audiobook), will the moderators correct it? The separation of categories is fairly recent, and many may not yet be used to it.
It seems that all fulfilled requests appear in a single category. Are there any plans to separate fulfilled requests in the same way?
Thanks!

Hi,

The audiobooks were given their own section due to a steady increase in the sheer number of requests for this format. The hope was that it would make it easier for everybody (especially for our fulfillers). That said, a custom template cannot be added to the audiobook sub-section.

If you accidentally post an audiobook request in the main Request section, it will get moved by a moderator and you will be notified of the change. I usually move one or two a day across to the right section and always let the user know.

As for Fulfilled Requests, there are no plans for a separate Fulfilled section for audiobooks. Requests are one off "done deals" which cannot be edited or deleted, so they are moved to a common area and from there, people are free to make a Release if they want. Otherwise, the system keeps them only for around six months, after which they are automatically purged. Because we always get people to add [Audiobook] or [AB] to the end of the subject line, they should be fairly easy to see in the Fulfilled area anyway. I am making a concentrated effort to get people to do that consistently, so the audiobooks are more instantly visible.

I hope that helps :)
Jun 11th, 2022, 6:54 am

Jun 16th, 2022, 9:14 am
Hi, yes it's all clear now, thank you. I am forever hopeful that you will be able to add a template for audiobooks, sometime in the future. :wink:
Jun 16th, 2022, 9:14 am
Jun 26th, 2022, 9:45 am
Hi I’ve looked around and haven’t seen the answer (I’m not very tech savvy) but the links are dead for a book I’ve been searching for and the profile says inactive poster. Is there anyone I can contact about new links? Should I start with the original poster? I don’t want to do anything incorrectly and figured it was best to ask the experts how to handle it.
Jun 26th, 2022, 9:45 am
Jun 26th, 2022, 9:59 am
AmandaFlagcore wrote:Hi I’ve looked around and haven’t seen the answer (I’m not very tech savvy) but the links are dead for a book I’ve been searching for and the profile says inactive poster. Is there anyone I can contact about new links? Should I start with the original poster? I don’t want to do anything incorrectly and figured it was best to ask the experts how to handle it.
The procedure for New link/Re-up requests: eBook Section Rules:
New links requests
  • Please PM (Private Message) the ORIGINAL POSTER (OP) with re-up requests. DO NOT use the report button for dead links. The reports area is restricted to staff only and posters have no access.
  • If you don't get a reply from the OP within 3 days max., report to a moderator. More info here: eBook Forum Etiquette

• Note to OPs: ignoring re-up request is equal to ignoring the rules. (If you lost the file, please request it. Your post, your responsibility.)
    • Note to Users: only one re-up request per user per day to the same poster is acceptable, more than that is considered spamming

• If the Original Poster is no longer active or banned (see profile) or not replacing links as per the signature, post a reply in the topic (e.g. "Links dead, OP inactive") so it can be moved to Expired and reposted by somebody else. DO NOT use the report button.

• ONLY BUMP TOPICS WITH DEAD LINKS BY INACTIVE POSTERS.
Jun 26th, 2022, 9:59 am
Jun 30th, 2022, 8:24 am
Hi I’m not sure where to post about dead links and an inactive OP (signature says won’t be re-upping). From the rules it says mention in the topic but I’m not sure where to do that at. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Jun 30th, 2022, 8:24 am
Jun 30th, 2022, 9:00 am
AmandaFlagcore wrote:Hi I’m not sure where to post about dead links and an inactive OP (signature says won’t be re-upping). From the rules it says mention in the topic but I’m not sure where to do that at. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Open the topic that you want re-upped and post a reply in the window that says "Quick Reply". That's it :)
Jun 30th, 2022, 9:00 am