May 31st, 2014, 10:39 pm
canmus wrote:Hello again,
If my ebook request goes unanswered even after the 2 permitted bumps, can I re-request it at a later date?

Yes, you can. Right after the request expires. Requests are automatically removed 14 days after their last reply. Waiting a couple of weeks gives your book the opportunity to filter down to us, keeps the number of requests in the system at a manageable level -about 130 new requests on average, per day, and helps us keep the number of duplicate requests down.

Keeping the requests forum neat and organized is one of the reasons why we limit the number of bumps per user (two) and the total number of bumps overall, (six to eight) if we didn't, a request could potentially stay in the system for months without it's being fulfilled, and make a real mess out of the forum.
May 31st, 2014, 10:39 pm
Jun 1st, 2014, 10:14 pm
Someone just pointed out to me on another part of the site (Contests, for anyone interested in making extra WRZ) that the ebook request rules don't allow you post a WRZ amount in the subject line (see viewtopic.php?f=72&t=382264&start=0)

Oops.

I've probably done it a dozen times now (never read that section of the rules).

Why wasn't I ever called on it?
Jun 1st, 2014, 10:14 pm

Sorry, I'm no longer re-uploading expired releases.
Jun 1st, 2014, 11:15 pm
As long as you've filled out the subject line correctly -Title, Author, and if you have enough room, Series Information, adding a WRZ$ amount at the end makes no difference. If you did this: Mona Lisa's Smile is Crooked by Leonardo da Vinci 50WRZ$ it's OK with us.

If, on the other hand, you entered: PLEASE HELP ME FIND THIS BOOK! 50WRZ$! you will definitely get called on it, put over the rack, and get 20 lashes with a wet noodle, but not if you enjoy that kind of thing. If you do, we make you listen to polka music for two hours instead. With lots of bass.
Jun 1st, 2014, 11:15 pm
Jun 2nd, 2014, 12:13 am
I love zack's sense of humour. Cracks me up every time.
Jun 2nd, 2014, 12:13 am
Jun 2nd, 2014, 2:30 am
OK, zackdog, thanks. I will definitely try to avoid that fate worse than death :)
Jun 2nd, 2014, 2:30 am

Sorry, I'm no longer re-uploading expired releases.
Jun 2nd, 2014, 7:55 am
zackddog wrote:As long as you've filled out the subject line correctly -Title, Author, and if you have enough room, Series Information, adding a WRZ$ amount at the end makes no difference. If you did this: Mona Lisa's Smile is Crooked by Leonardo da Vinci 50WRZ$ it's OK with us.

If, on the other hand, you entered: PLEASE HELP ME FIND THIS BOOK! 50WRZ$! you will definitely get called on it, put over the rack, and get 20 lashes with a wet noodle, but not if you enjoy that kind of thing. If you do, we make you listen to polka music for two hours instead. With lots of bass.

Don't make him get the noodle out, wet or otherwise folks......
Jun 2nd, 2014, 7:55 am
Jun 2nd, 2014, 8:32 am
McJalm wrote:I love zack's sense of humour. Cracks me up every time.

Same here. :lol:
Jun 2nd, 2014, 8:32 am

I do not reupload books I posted in Requests section. Please request again.
Jun 2nd, 2014, 4:58 pm
i have some e-books i'd like to share, i PAID for them :) and feel like it's my right to share them with other readers... does Mobilism have any advice for finding and uploading .mobi files downloaded via Whispernet from Amazon? i know they made it difficult on purpose, but that makes me all the more determines to DO ITT!
thanks for any help
efferson
Jun 2nd, 2014, 4:58 pm
Jun 2nd, 2014, 6:30 pm
Hi efferson!

you need to follow these steps:

1. You will want to go here: https://www.google.com/cse?cx=007640456 ... #gsc.tab=0 and search for the book that you want to release. This is to ensure that you're release will not be a double post of something that is already released!

2. The next step is to go here: viewforum.php?f=19 and click on 'New Thread'; this should appear: Image

3. Now you just fill in the template, For an example, I will use Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins.
Here is an example for Catching Fire:

*For the image section, make sure you use the direct link you are given. Not the one with IMG tags as I have done in this example! :oops:

A few things I will say on some sections:
For the subject line, Always only include the main title followed by author name followed by file type extension (You MUST include the file type). If the title of the book is to long to include both the author and the file type then shorten the title to an acceptable length and just add an elipses (...) after the title.
If there is more than one Author for the book, Just mention 1 author in the subject line followed by et al; E.g. if Catching Fire was written by Suzanne Collins as well as Author X you could just write: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins, et al (.Extension)

The main thing is that some part of the title is mentioned, atleast 1 author is mentioned and the filetype MUST be mentioned. (Also if you have more than 1 filetype, you can just write + E.g. you have both MOBI and ePUB files you could write: (.MOBI)+ instead of (.MOBI)(.ePUB) )

On the next line: Title and Author, Include the full name of the book, Including any subtitles as well as every author. Follow that with any series info if the book is part of a series.

Requirements is just what anyone will need in order to open the file.

Size is the total size of the entire file. You can usually get this when uploading it!

Genre is self explanatory :)

Overview is basically just a blurb for the book. :) http://www.goodreads.com is a great place to find this!

Image is just a picture of the front cover of the book. This MUST be uploaded to mobilism's image server here: http://images.mobilism.org/index.php, When uploading for a release you should always resize the image. Do this by clicking the 'preferences tab' and then inputting a value into height and width. I find good values are height: 240 x width: 160.

Download links is were you add your 2 links! All releases MUST have a primary download link as well as a minimum of 1 mirror link.

If the book is also part of a series, Download links is also were you MUST provide links to the other books in the series. (only ones posted on mobilism)

(Don't be afraid to make mistakes, The release mods are friendly and will tell you how to fix them!)

I hope this helped, If you have any more questions feel free to ask away! :)
Jun 2nd, 2014, 6:30 pm
Jun 5th, 2014, 3:33 am
efferson wrote:does Mobilism have any advice for finding and uploading .mobi files downloaded via Whispernet from Amazon?

arkonen has given great advice on how to get your books onto Mobilism, but as you mention actually "finding" the .mobi files then it might be you are asking a more fundamental question - how to get your hands on the files, so you can share them. If so, this should walk you through the process:

http://www.wired.com/2011/01/how-to-strip-drm-from-kindle-e-books-and-others/

Then you can follow arkonen's advice and get them on here.

If I've misunderstood, then you can skip straight to that step, unless we've both misunderstood... ;)

efferson wrote:i have some e-books i'd like to share, i PAID for them :) and feel like it's my right to share them with other readers...

i know they made it difficult on purpose, but that makes me all the more determines to DO ITT!

For me it was when my Kindle broke and I realised that DRM was not there to help the authors and publishers, it was purely there to lock people into Amazon's walled garden, which only benefits Amazon. The fact that they have complex tax avoidance schemes for their ebooks only made me more determined to get out and take my books with me. Which led me to that Wired article, the appreciation of ePubs as an ebook format and eventually here. Not that any of what I said justifies ebook piracy but that would be a discussion for another thread. ;)
Jun 5th, 2014, 3:33 am

Links dead? Need re-up? PM me.

Strange is the night where black stars rise,
And strange moons circle through the skies,
But stranger still is Lost Carcosa.
Jun 6th, 2014, 12:11 am
when do we not include a connector link? 'cause I don't want to add a link to a post when I probably can't get a re-up since hte user hasn't been in foreveeeeer

also ~ what should I do if a book is part of a series. yet there is no official series name?

edited post: @ carcosa ~ they chain u to the help desk? :D

I guess there aren't rules regarding these things. just etiquette or things to consider.
thanks carcosa. everything is applicable.

merry60 wrote:You're right, just etiquette and common sense. Carcosa's way is as valid as it gets, we saw no need to add to it ;-)
Jun 6th, 2014, 12:11 am
Jun 6th, 2014, 5:24 am
littlemew wrote:when do we not include a connector link? 'cause I don't want to add a link to a post when I probably can't get a re-up since hte user hasn't been in foreveeeeer

You can have a word with one of the ebook moderators and, if the links are dead and you've contacted the original releaser with no reply, then they can retire the release and you can upload a new one. I usually check the download links for releases I link to from mine and contact the individuals if they are all down. You can then check your outbox later on to see if they've read them and what needs further action, so you won't forget if there are problems like that and you can work towards resolving the issue one way or another. That is just what I do, I know some people just don't link to them and don't worry about it, but that won't really fix the problem for other people.

littlemew wrote:also ~ what should I do if a book is part of a series. yet there is no official series name?

Always a bit tricky - sometimes they aren't strictly speaking part of a series even if they share a setting or characters. So you can either just name the release by the setting or character, but if they do seem like a more focused, but unnamed, series then you can use the name of the first book in the series or check to see what other people use informally - Wikipedia or the ISFDB (for science fiction, fantasy or horror) are handy for this. If you are still unsure you can always post here or ask a mod. Anyway the title of a release is always going to be a bit of a compromise given the character length restriction, the important thing is to add enough information to the body of the release, so that people searching for a title can find it.
Jun 6th, 2014, 5:24 am

Links dead? Need re-up? PM me.

Strange is the night where black stars rise,
And strange moons circle through the skies,
But stranger still is Lost Carcosa.
Jun 12th, 2014, 7:15 am
Hi I have a question (a very noob question - I apologize early)
How do I start a forum thread?
Jun 12th, 2014, 7:15 am
Jun 12th, 2014, 7:54 am
hazel152 wrote:How do I start a forum thread?
If you mean how to post a release in the ebook section, you must go to eBook Releases: Board index » Device-independent » eBooks » eBook Releases and click the button called "New Thread", which is located on the left, top of the list. You cannot start a thread in any of the categories, your post will have to be first approved and then moved there by a moderator.

Happy posting!
Jun 12th, 2014, 7:54 am
Jun 15th, 2014, 4:15 pm
why are most ebooks Epub?........very rarely .mobi?
Jun 15th, 2014, 4:15 pm