Jan 1st, 2015, 8:04 am
When I got my first Kindle, I downloaded dozens of books from Gutenberg and bought a very few (I'm poor, to be frank). Then I discovered sites like this one. Now I have more books than I could ever read! I can't even keep up loading them into Calibre (I insist on certain metadata). See, I have this "affliction". I call it "Costco syndrome", i.e. get it now before it's gone. I only download what I'm interested in (as opposed to grabbing *everything*). I'm also trying to replace as much of my printed library as possible. I *have* learned to avoid the huge collections that people post, unless there is a book in it that I really can't find elsewhere. But still, am I just being greedy?

Is anyone else like this?! Costco syndrome? How do you handle it? Does it even matter?
Jan 1st, 2015, 8:04 am

Use this. It's free. https://www.libraryextension.com/
A link to my family's fiction wishlist is posted in my profile.
Rules apply.
WRZ$20 each.
No PDFs, PDF conversions or archive.org scans (I can get those myself).
Jan 1st, 2015, 2:47 pm
It's not really an afflication, the links here are so temporary, sites get shut down and you're preserving it to reupload in case. I don't think that's an issue at all, especially since this is low storage and environmentally friendly.

Just keep everything well labelled and try to read as much as possible. It's better to have too many books than too few.
Jan 1st, 2015, 2:47 pm
Jan 14th, 2015, 3:53 pm
:shock: I didn´t known I was afflicted!!!
But I am.
Definitely.
:D
Jan 14th, 2015, 3:53 pm
Feb 22nd, 2015, 7:48 pm
I had this affliction although I call it "buffet syndrome" - it's all you can eat, you don't know when you will eat again and everything looks good so you pig out. I felt like OMG I better download everything now before it goes away, I couldn't believe this place existed and felt sure it would be gone soon. I used to spend all my time downloading and hardly any time reading.

But eventually you realize that Mobilism is a neverending buffet of books that is open 24/7 and will never close, and you start to relax. At least that's what happened to me. Now, I only download a few choice new selections each month and leisurely enjoy them, secure that when I need more books, they will be there.
Feb 22nd, 2015, 7:48 pm
Feb 22nd, 2015, 8:52 pm
Unfortunately I have the tendency to hoard if I'm not careful. The fact that I love and appreciate a good book makes me feel like there is a very good chance that I will read them all at some point. Books are a guilt free treat. ENJOY YOURSELF!
Feb 22nd, 2015, 8:52 pm
Feb 24th, 2015, 7:24 pm
I too have hoarder tendencies when it comes to ebooks. But it is a fairly harmless addiction and my inner librarian really enjoys the time spent in Calibre futzing around with my immaculately tagged collection :)
Feb 24th, 2015, 7:24 pm
Apr 30th, 2015, 2:36 pm
You never know what is going to happen. HOARD THOSE E-BOOKS!
Apr 30th, 2015, 2:36 pm
May 5th, 2015, 7:34 pm
I never thought it as an affliction ... It is more like a hobby ... A hobby costing around 500 GB worth of memory ... :D I used to buy paperbacks and my whole room ran out of space. Since then I began my ebook collection.
May 5th, 2015, 7:34 pm

Sa souvraya niende misain ye
May 6th, 2015, 6:58 am
I had this 'affliction' when I first learned about sites like Mobilism (it was emule in the day) I downloaded EVERY new book that came out.
Then my computer crashed, I lost everything, and started to rethink my priorities.
Let's face it, there are a lot of books out there that just don't deserve our time - badly written, badly edited, poor plot, etc etc.
So I started to download only books by authors I like, or were recommended to me.
My TBR list has gone from thousands to tens, but I prefer it that way. I look forward to each new book, and the DNFs are far fewer
May 6th, 2015, 6:58 am
May 6th, 2015, 7:17 am
Misty9 has wised up!

I'm still sorta in with Mallumaster69, although I (usually) try to only d/l what I truly want to read or replace from my printed collection.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one, though! :D
May 6th, 2015, 7:17 am

Use this. It's free. https://www.libraryextension.com/
A link to my family's fiction wishlist is posted in my profile.
Rules apply.
WRZ$20 each.
No PDFs, PDF conversions or archive.org scans (I can get those myself).
May 6th, 2015, 4:06 pm
I still buy some books, especially those by my favorite authors.
When I first discovered Mobilism, I went on a "feeding frenzy" and downloaded everything I could find - classics, novels, stuff I thought I might like, stuff I didn't think I'd ever read but it was there, etc. As time has gone on, I'm downloading only the books I really want or that, either from reading the synopsis here, on sites like BN & Amazon or by looking at the physical book, I think might interest me if not today then maybe tomorrow.

That being said, even by doing that, my collection is still quite large. Yes, book hoarding is my addiction. But, I could be addicted to something much worse. Or is that just the addict justifying her addiction? LOL
May 6th, 2015, 4:06 pm

Sorry, I am unable to reupload books. If links are dead, please feel free to request again. Apologies for the inconvenience
May 6th, 2015, 4:15 pm
At first I thought a 32GB microSD card for my Kobo was an overkill, I'm not so sure anymore..
May 6th, 2015, 4:15 pm
May 12th, 2015, 11:27 pm
I can’t apologize for loving books too much. If that makes me a book hoarder, I can live with it.
I use to buy books at Half Price Books and after reading I would then donate them to the local library for their sidewalk sale.
Several years ago I did a book purge and donated several large boxes of books to the library.
But some book shelf books are hard to part with. This is usually due to sentimentality.
Someday I will have to do an ebook purge. I do try to delete as I read. And I try to find duplicate ebooks that I have and delete them.
It is an ongoing process. At least ebooks are not a fire hazard.
May 12th, 2015, 11:27 pm
Jun 8th, 2015, 4:44 pm
Even though I said "I used to buy paperbacks" I want everybody to know that, occasionally, I do buy paperbacks. The weight of a book against your palm, it's fresh smell, the rustling when I turn the pages ... Sadly, ebook is no replacement for that ... I take good care of my books, still they fade ... It is heart breaking to see them gloomy and tired ... :(
Jun 8th, 2015, 4:44 pm

Sa souvraya niende misain ye
Jun 13th, 2015, 2:55 am
Sharnaranwan wrote:It's not really an afflication, the links here are so temporary, sites get shut down and you're preserving it to reupload in case. I don't think that's an issue at all, especially since this is low storage and environmentally friendly.

Just keep everything well labelled and try to read as much as possible. It's better to have too many books than too few.

This. I have downloaded books I know I won't read because I know, at some point, they will just POOF, disappear.

I'd like to think that my Calibre collection of 20K+ books is on the low end..... right? :)
Jun 13th, 2015, 2:55 am