Mainstream fiction, from all-time classics to contemporary novels
Jun 30th, 2021, 1:37 am
2 Novels of Gopal Baratham
Requirements: .ePUB reader, 1.34 MB
Overview: Gopal Baratham (9 September 1935 – 23 April 2002) was a Singaporean author and neurosurgeon. He was known for his frank style and his ability to write about topics that were often considered controversial in the conservative city-state. Baratham began his passion for writing in the 1960s, and never stopped writing throughout his medical career. In 1991 he won the Southeast Asian Writers Award.
Genre: Fiction > General Fiction/Classics

Image Image

A Candle or The Sun
In 1991, Dr. Baratham published his most successful novel, A Candle or the Sun, which he had started working on in 1983. The novel was published in London and not in Singapore due to its controversial nature. The novel was loosely based on Operation Spectrum, the case of the so-called Marxist conspiracy, a group of Catholic activists whom the Singapore government had declared to be Communists and subsequently arrested.

“Early in my working life I had discovered that salesmanship consisted not of providing people with what they needed, but with that was essential to their dreams. I was confident that our dining-room suite, complete with carpets, curtains and an artificial fireplace, would shortly be snapped up by people occupying oven-hot semis in the newer and, as yet, treeless, housing estates on the island. The possibility of winter is essential to the happiness of people living in the tropics.”Hernie Perera runs the furniture department in Benson’s, the largest store in Singapore. In his spare time, he writes stories. Suddenly, his comfortable life is shattered. His father is found to have terminal cancer, he loses his job, and his lover joins the 'Children of the Book.' a Christian sect committed to overthrowing an oppressive government.An old acquaintance and government official promises Hernie literary success in exchange for information on the 'Children of the Book.' He must now decide between the rewards of political corruption and his conscience.With passion and humour, A Candle or the Sun reveals a Singapore far different from the tourist brochures.

Sayang
“Though I rarely had occasion to use it, I know the word and its implications well. It was truly a Southeast Asian word, soft as its people and well-understood from Marang to Manila, Surabaya to Sulawesi, Kuala Lumpur to Kota Kinabalu. It describes a love bound to sadness, a tenderness trembling on the edge or tears, a passion from which pity could not be detached... I did not realise how fully I would understand saying. Had I known, I would have given it more thought.” Joe Samy suspects that his wife, Ri is pulling the blinds on him. So he engages the rough but affable private eye, Sigmund Lee, to track her movements. As he is led on a roundable ride, Joe succumbs to temptation himself, first with a transsexual, then with his son’s girlfriend. Events begin to take a twist for the macabre as Ri falls mysteriously ill and his son, Kris, submits his body to a drug peddler while Joe himself tangles with a defrocked priest. As his family falls apart, Joe Samy, now vulnerable and not so smug, takes a hard lesson from life on the true meaning of 'sayang.'

Download Instructions:
Filerio
Dailyuploads

Trouble downloading? Read This.
Jun 30th, 2021, 1:37 am