Gloria in Ucraina
Слава Ўкраіне
Sláva Ukrajině
Gloria all'Ucraina

Слава Україні

Суд і смерть Путіна
May 29th, 2023, 2:10 am
May 30th, 2023, 11:38 pm
Ukraine has its uncompromised sovereignty, and so does China. We respect each other that our lands, including Crimea and Taiwan, cannot be occupied by our enemies.
May 30th, 2023, 11:38 pm
Jun 1st, 2023, 5:44 am
Read about closure of rarbg (torrenting site) today. I really really hope you guys can hang in.
You are my morning coffee and daily bread and butter.

Thank you.
Jun 1st, 2023, 5:44 am
Jun 5th, 2023, 1:00 pm
It's heartening to see how people are crowdfunding all manner of equipment, with direct lines of communication to the people and places that need it.
Jun 5th, 2023, 1:00 pm
Jun 6th, 2023, 9:41 pm
Want to help? Word mean nothing. Pick up rifle and fight invader. It what I do.
Jun 6th, 2023, 9:41 pm
Jun 12th, 2023, 3:48 pm
Disk4Mat, do you personally know anyone from Crimea or Donbas? If you do, do you know anything about the validity of the referendums held there? There are claims about the validity or the lack thereof from both sides, and I’m not sure which side is true.
Jun 12th, 2023, 3:48 pm
Jun 12th, 2023, 10:04 pm
jaydenjoo wrote:Disk4Mat, do you personally know anyone from Crimea or Donbas? If you do, do you know anything about the validity of the referendums held there? There are claims about the validity or the lack thereof from both sides, and I’m not sure which side is true.

I know people from both and one of my close friends is from Donbas. The referendums were complete shams, I'll explain why in a short answer and a longer one that includes more historical context.

Short answer: Conducting a referendum under occupation of a foreign power and without permission from the original country is against international law. If a town in New Mexico decides to organize a referendum to join Mexico, and a majority of its inhabitants vote to secede from New Mexico and the US, that won't make that town part of Mexico. In Ukraine a referendum was already held in 1991 in accordance with international law on whether Ukraine would separate from the Soviet Union and become an independent state. With 84.18% of the electorate voting, majorities in both Donbas (83%) and Crimea (54%) voted in favor. Consequently the Soviet Union was disbanded, and Russia formally recognized the independence of Ukraine within its 1991 borders, as did the rest of the world.

The long answer is far more tragic. Let's start with Crimea. Throughout history Crimea was inhabited by many peoples- Scythians, Greeks, Romans, Italians. For most of its history Crimea was not Slavic. Its longest native inhabitants were the Crimean Tatars, who had their own independent state, the Crimean Khanate, until 1783 when Russia annexed it. You can see the demographics of Crimea here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Crimea - when it first became a part of the Russian Empire it was neither Russian nor Ukrainian.

The Russian Empire followed a similar model for newly acquired territories. It imposed laws that favored Russians over the original inhabitants, forcibly deported locals, and encouraged ethnic Russians to move in to replace the locals as the new majority. In Crimea this culminated in 1944, when in just three days Stalin forcibly deported the entirety of the remaining native Crimean Tatar population along with various other minorities in Crimea to Uzbekistan, leading to over 100,000 deaths, and an increase in Crimea's Russian population from 49% to over 70%. After Ukraine declared Independence Crimean Tatars started returning, and Crimea's population went from 1.6% Crimean Tatar in 1989 to 11% in 2001. Tragically after Russia's seizure of Crimea in 2014 repressions of Crimean Tatars once again began, and many were forced to flee to other parts of Ukraine. I now know several Crimean Tatars living in Kyiv who escaped after 2014. It is because of these demographics that Crimeans favor Russia more than any other region of Ukraine. Nonetheless during the referendum in 1991, the majority of Crimeans voted for Ukrainian independence.

Donbas is a more clear-cut case. While Donbas was more Russian-leaning than all regions other than Crimea, it still overwhelmingly voted in favor of Ukrainian independence (83%), was historically part of the Ukrainian Cossack Hetmanate, was mostly pro-Ukrainian, and only "joined" Russia after a referendum which was essentially held at gunpoint.

If you'd like me to talk about any other part of Ukrainian history or if you have further questions, please let me know.
Jun 12th, 2023, 10:04 pm
Jun 13th, 2023, 5:49 am
That’s an interesting (and depressing) history. Did anybody you know actually participate in any of these referendums? And if so, is it true that secrecy of the vote isn’t kept and therefore the referendums weren’t fair? Or is it just that Russia changed the demographics heavily in its favor so that they could win?
Jun 13th, 2023, 5:49 am
Jun 13th, 2023, 6:07 am
jaydenjoo wrote:That’s an interesting (and depressing) history. Did anybody you know actually participate in any of these referendums? And if so, is it true that secrecy of the vote isn’t kept and therefore the referendums weren’t fair? Or is it just that Russia changed the demographics heavily in its favor so that they could win?

I don't know anybody who voted in the referendums. Even if they did, it wouldn't have mattered. Russia hasn't had free elections in over 20 years, there's no reason to believe Russian election authorities would fairly report the outcome here.
Jun 13th, 2023, 6:07 am
Jun 13th, 2023, 7:39 am
Disk4mat wrote:
jaydenjoo wrote:That’s an interesting (and depressing) history. Did anybody you know actually participate in any of these referendums? And if so, is it true that secrecy of the vote isn’t kept and therefore the referendums weren’t fair? Or is it just that Russia changed the demographics heavily in its favor so that they could win?

I don't know anybody who voted in the referendums. Even if they did, it wouldn't have mattered. Russia hasn't had free elections in over 20 years, there's no reason to believe Russian election authorities would fairly report the outcome here.

I also agree there is a pretty high chance the referendums were rigged. Russia claims the approval ratings for Crimea were 97%, which is hard to believe considering that 23 years ago it was only 46%.
Jun 13th, 2023, 7:39 am
Jun 14th, 2023, 4:05 pm
I have a different question. Do you think some of the attacks on civilians by Russia were either accidental or was done with the primary goal of attacking military targets but with disregard for collateral damage? Or do you believe some of them were done with attacking civilians as the primary goal? I think it’s likely that at least some were of the latter case, but at the same time don’t understand what Russia has to gain from wasting valuable resources on turning everyone else against themselves.
Jun 14th, 2023, 4:05 pm
Jun 14th, 2023, 8:59 pm
jaydenjoo wrote:I have a different question. Do you think some of the attacks on civilians by Russia were either accidental or was done with the primary goal of attacking military targets but with disregard for collateral damage? Or do you believe some of them were done with attacking civilians as the primary goal? I think it’s likely that at least some were of the latter case, but at the same time don’t understand what Russia has to gain from wasting valuable resources on turning everyone else against themselves.

There are certainly all of the above: attacks on military targets that missed, intentional attacks on civilian targets, indiscriminate attacks, and brutality by troops.

Let's examine each, starting with missed military targets. Russia has an endemic culture of corruption, inefficiency, brutality, and unprofessionalism. An officer without a valid target may report a lie to his higher-ups, which will then result in a missile strike on a residential building. The officer's informants may also lie to the officer. The missiles used may have cheap or replaced components due to corruption, leading to an inaccurate missile. The higher-ups are under pressure to produce results, so they will also lie to their higher-ups. And after that residential building was hit, whoever knows the truth — the officer, informants, higher-ups — do not care about civilian casualties either way. The cycle will be repeated.

Intentional attacks on civilian targets are part of Russia's strategy. The logic goes that if enough damage is done to Ukraine and Ukrainians, they will surrender. Ukrainians will realize they're wrong and come back to Russia (yes, such logic exists) or give up. Calls to wipe Kyiv off the map are common on Russian TV and among the Russian population, especially following instances where the Russian army is defeated. Here's a TV broadcast that calls to drown Ukrainian children: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lkshypC2Rk — it's one of the more extreme ones, but there are hundreds of instances on Russian TV of hosts calling to bomb or nuke Ukrainian cities out of existence.

This all compounds and leads us to the most common explanation: indiscriminate attacks. By far the biggest source of destruction in Ukraine is artillery. Rockets are too expensive and too few, but Russia has an insane supply of shells. Russia's strategy for advancing is simple: use overwhelming artillery advantage to destroy everything in front, then advance. This has been used in the two Chechen Wars, Georgia, Syria, and now Ukraine. My city (Kharkiv) was damaged the most by artillery, since it's right on the border with Russia. Mariupol, Bakhmut, Marinka, Kherson - artillery.

This is what Marinka looks like today:

Finally, there is sheer brutality — massacres, rape and torture committed by troops and commanders. Well-documented examples of this are Bucha Massacre and Izium massacre. Rape and torture are widespread in all areas occupied by Russians. It's yet another reason why negotiating with Russia is not an option, because it will mean our fellow Ukrainians will remain on occupied land to be abused, murdered, tortured, raped. We as a nation prefer to continue fighting.
Jun 14th, 2023, 8:59 pm
Jun 15th, 2023, 12:29 am
"The logic goes that if enough damage is done to Ukraine and Ukrainians, they will surrender. Ukrainians will realize they're wrong and come back to Russia (yes, such logic exists) or give up." The first part makes a little bit of sense, that was the idea behind strategic bombing campaigns like blitzkreig in WW2. The second part seems ridiculous. Why on Earth would any human go 'they killed my family, and now I realize how they were correct and I was wrong all along"? I previously assumed the intentional attacks on civilians (not indiscriminate attacks) were done by low-level units and was frowned upon by high command (not because I assumed Russia would be ethical, but because I thought there would be nothing to gain), but after seeing Russia's national media openly endorse genocide, I changed my mind.
Jun 15th, 2023, 12:29 am
Jun 15th, 2023, 2:58 am
jaydenjoo wrote:"The logic goes that if enough damage is done to Ukraine and Ukrainians, they will surrender. Ukrainians will realize they're wrong and come back to Russia (yes, such logic exists) or give up." The first part makes a little bit of sense, that was the idea behind strategic bombing campaigns like blitzkreig in WW2. The second part seems ridiculous. Why on Earth would any human go 'they killed my family, and now I realize how they were correct and I was wrong all along"? I previously assumed the intentional attacks on civilians (not indiscriminate attacks) were done by low-level units and was frowned upon by high command (not because I assumed Russia would be ethical, but because I thought there would be nothing to gain), but after seeing Russia's national media openly endorse genocide, I changed my mind.

You're looking for logic where there is little, but I'll try to explain the reasoning. Russia views itself as a father and Ukraine as a disobedient child. After sufficient punishment, the child will come to the parent and ask for forgiveness.

The idea that mass bombing of cities will break the spirit of targeted nations was first popularized by Billy Mitchell and Giulio Douhet, who are widely regarded as the fathers of aerial warfare. However, their theory proved incorrect in practice. the four largest examples of mass bombing we have in history did not break the spirit of the targeted nations:
1. German bombardment of Britain did not break British resolve.
2. Allied bombardment of Germany did not break Germany's resolve.
3. US bombing of Japan did not break Japanese resolve. Even after the first atomic bomb Japan was prepared to continue fighting. It was only after the Soviet invasion from the North and the second atomic bomb (the two happened on the same day) that Japan surrendered. Japan’s leaders said the new incredible weapon forced them to surrender because it created a good explanation for losing the war, but most historians believe that the Soviet Union opening a second front was the bigger reason.
4. US bombing of Vietnam did not break the North Vietnamese resolve.

The example of Ukraine is further evidence that mass bombardment does not break resolve. Provided the right ideological reasoning, after a certain point of hardship it only makes the defenders hate the invaders more.
Jun 15th, 2023, 2:58 am
Jun 15th, 2023, 11:07 am
Yes, I agree that bombing cities don't work at 'breaking the will of the people' and often backfires. The RT video you linked to me was really shocking. If it was just some random news network nobody knows about, I wouldn't think too much about it. But a state-funded media broadcasting a video casually advocating for genocide of Ukranians (who are also 'Russians brainwashed to believe they are Ukrainians' according to the same video, which proves you're right that I shouldn't be looking for logic in their arguments) eroded away all respect I still had for Russia. I also read through some of the previous comments on this post, and saw many actual users (not trolls or bots) advocating for genocide as well.
Jun 15th, 2023, 11:07 am