Mar 22nd, 2020, 11:10 pm
Can someone recommend regency Romance book?
I liked Julia Quinn (all series) or Tessa Dare (Spindle Cove series)
Im looking a book that’s a little humorous and hot.

I don’t want: widows, mistresses etc.; marriage for money

I want: lords, dukes, viscounts etc / heroes with money ; prefer heroin that is witty and smart

The book may have: brainy/genius hero/heroin or/and or disabled heroes

Can someone help me find something good?

I looked and looked and find nothing..

Thanks!
Cj
Mar 22nd, 2020, 11:10 pm
Mar 23rd, 2020, 12:15 am
Are you not wanting any 'sex before marriage' books or do you just mean 'no mistresses' as in the husband has a mistress after he marries the heroine?

How strictly Regency do you want? Just 1810-20 or just pre-Victorian (1839)?

I know two excellent Georgian authors that would mostly fit your criteria (a couple of widows in the series, as I recall) if you are interested: Lynne Connolly's Richard & Rose, Seductive Secrets, and Triple Countess series are great, as are her Emperors of London and Even the Gods Fall in Love books (Greek gods reborn into 18th century bodies). Also Jo Beverley's Georgian Malloren books make for a very different view of the ton and court life while her Company of Rogues books are Regency but definitely give the 1st one a miss if you don't want to see mistresses and there are definitely a few widows there as well. Both authors do have other series as well that are quite excellent but I cannot recall if there are any widows or marrying for money in them - I just remember them as excellent reading.
Mar 23rd, 2020, 12:15 am

Reality can be beaten with enough imagination.

- Mark Twain
Mar 23rd, 2020, 4:58 pm
I'd recommend The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer. Heroine is smart and has a unique view on life thanks to her upbringing, the extended family is funny, and there is no sex at all.

I can browse my collection while I'm staying at home and see what else I can recommend.
Mar 23rd, 2020, 4:58 pm
Mar 23rd, 2020, 6:28 pm
The book may have sex before marriage, but i don’t want books where heroine become mistress or cheating hero. I want honorable hero ;)
Not so strictly. May be 1800-1840 :)

I will see books you recommended! Thank you!

Fizban wrote:Are you not wanting any 'sex before marriage' books or do you just mean 'no mistresses' as in the husband has a mistress after he marries the heroine?

How strictly Regency do you want? Just 1810-20 or just pre-Victorian (1839)?

I know two excellent Georgian authors that would mostly fit your criteria (a couple of widows in the series, as I recall) if you are interested: Lynne Connolly's Richard & Rose, Seductive Secrets, and Triple Countess series are great, as are her Emperors of London and Even the Gods Fall in Love books (Greek gods reborn into 18th century bodies). Also Jo Beverley's Georgian Malloren books make for a very different view of the ton and court life while her Company of Rogues books are Regency but definitely give the 1st one a miss if you don't want to see mistresses and there are definitely a few widows there as well. Both authors do have other series as well that are quite excellent but I cannot recall if there are any widows or marrying for money in them - I just remember them as excellent reading.
Mar 23rd, 2020, 6:28 pm
Mar 23rd, 2020, 6:42 pm
Cj77 wrote:The book may have sex before marriage, but i don’t want books where heroine become mistress or cheating hero. I want honorable hero ;)
Not so strictly. May be 1800-1840 :)

I will see books you recommended! Thank you!

The reason I asked about the 'sex before marriage' thing is that to modern audiences, that doesn't indicate that the woman is a mistress, but in the time we're speaking about, pre-marital sex (before a betrothal) would be considered mistress behavior for a woman. However, that's why I suggested avoiding the 1st Company of Rogues book - there's a good reason for the hero to have a mistress and cheat on the heroine but I have to admit that I myself struggled with the concept.

You might also try Stephanie Laurens' Cynster series. It can get formulaic a bit in later books, but the first 10 or so are excellent books with strong independent heroines and stubborn but moral heroes. A couple of widows but most are spinsters. Series starts a few years after Waterloo and currently is up to around 1850 with the kids of the first books now gaining spouses.
Mar 23rd, 2020, 6:42 pm

Reality can be beaten with enough imagination.

- Mark Twain
Jul 9th, 2020, 4:22 am
Lakeshire Park by Meghan Walker
A Proper Charade by Esther Hatch
Where the Stars Meet the Sea by Heidi Kimball
Devil's Daughter (The Ravenels, #5) by Lisa Kleypas (the heroine is a widow, but amazing nonetheless. The hero was an absolute swoon-worthy. It's one of my faves)
and
An Eye for an Earl by Jean Wilde was awesome too. it's about a highborn lady turned courtesan. it's a must-read for me.
Jul 9th, 2020, 4:22 am

(づ ◕‿◕ )づJust click the 'Reupload' button if ALL links are dead, don't have to PM me anymore---------------------------click that THANK YOU up there ( ̄▽ ̄)/

P.S. To those who request Historical Romance Audiobooks, feel free to PM me.
Jul 11th, 2020, 12:00 am
Try Charlotte Louise Dolan's older Signet regencies. They're available as e-books at long last, and I love them. :)
Jul 11th, 2020, 12:00 am
Oct 23rd, 2020, 2:15 pm
I read the 4 "The Regent Mysteries" by Cheryl Bolen. She wrote several other books, but I haven't read them yet.
Oct 23rd, 2020, 2:15 pm
Oct 31st, 2020, 8:41 am
For wounded heroes check Mary Balogh's The Survivors' Club Series, especially The Escape and The Arrangement
Oct 31st, 2020, 8:41 am