May 11th, 2020, 7:40 am
I've just discovered this author and this series, am working my way through, and just love it.

I enjoy the irony of the main character, his disenchanted way of examining humans, and his growth towards true sentience.

Any recommendations for similar books? (I've already real all of Asimov of course)
May 11th, 2020, 7:40 am
May 11th, 2020, 7:54 pm
The last installment (Network Effect) has been posted (but you probably already knew that). I agree; It's so noir; I can almost hear Murderbot's narration.
May 11th, 2020, 7:54 pm
May 12th, 2020, 12:46 am
Recommendation: The Man Who Folded Himself by David Gerrold(sp?). Not related to the Murderbot type of genre. It's one of the best time travel stories I've ever read.
May 12th, 2020, 12:46 am
May 12th, 2020, 10:23 am
thanks all. yes I've already downloaded her latest, but haven't finished Exit Strategy yet

I'm looking up The Man Who Folded Himself, will give it a try
May 12th, 2020, 10:23 am
May 18th, 2020, 11:23 am
Have you read her other books? I really liked her Raksura series as well. Haven't read Ile-Rien yet.
May 18th, 2020, 11:23 am

Unfortunately, I can no longer re-upload my old files. I'm sorry.
May 20th, 2020, 11:40 am
Alyak wrote:Have you read her other books? I really liked her Raksura series as well. Haven't read Ile-Rien yet.

no I'm finishing the Murderbot series and then I'll start on the others I prefer not to read them all in a row because it gets less interesting. Every author has his/her favorite catch phrases and they get a bit annoying if read back-to-back
May 20th, 2020, 11:40 am
Nov 2nd, 2020, 9:56 am
misty9 wrote:I enjoy the irony of the main character, his disenchanted way of examining humans, and his growth towards true sentience.

*its, its :D

rumplestilts wrote:The last installment (Network Effect) has been posted

*latest

It's wide open for another.

* * * SPOILERS * * * SPOILERS * * * SPOILERS * * * SPOILERS * * * SPOILERS * * * SPOILERS * * *

I've sort of wanted to write a review of the 5th just because I was so disappointed in it. She'd left a perfect opening for a sequel at the end of "Exit Strategy", when they'd been contacted about a possible new contract by the people Murderbot had saved in book 3. It would have been so easy -- Murderbot goes out with them again, saves them from more violent competitors, and Wells *still* could have written in some good thoughtful bits.

Instead, she goes off on some weird tangent where BOOM alien-human hybrids attack and alien remnant technology is scary and there's even maybe a hive mind and who knows what else. Oh, and ART's university just accidentally happens to be involved in rescuing recently-rediscovered colonies as a sort of special underhanded sideline? Suuuuure. And the hybrids' motivation is umm protecting themselves so they're basically starting a new war with a bunch of people they don't know as their very first move by kidnapping people who might have otherwise been motivated to help them? Uh-huh, everyone does that.

It all just felt so forced. Even the conflict between Murderbot and Dr. Mensah's husband was just plain silly -- she's not telling her family that she got attacked, even though the entire universe already knows she was kidnapped once and so on? And yet everyone in the family knows about that part? But he just thinks the asexual human-bot construct is screwing his wife or something? Sorry, makes no sense. No wonder her kid nearly got raped or kidnapped or whatever, nobody is paying any attention to the very risks Dr. Mensah has been facing even though they've been widely publicized and one of her kids even got to see Murderbot's little video logs at the end of book 4.

I really hope Wells takes some time to come up with a plot that fits within the universe of the first four books next time around. And maybe even makes sense. Otherwise everything just ends up like "Allie McBeal" did, nothing more than disconnected stunts strung together by writers who didn't know what to do with the characters after a mere two seasons.
Nov 2nd, 2020, 9:56 am
Feb 17th, 2021, 7:26 pm
Book number 6 - Fugitive Telemetry is due out in April 2021
Feb 17th, 2021, 7:26 pm
Apr 25th, 2021, 2:49 am
Alyak wrote:Have you read her other books? I really liked her Raksura series as well. Haven't read Ile-Rien yet.

Ile Rien is the worst, but her other books are all good. I especially like The Death of the Necromancer.
Apr 25th, 2021, 2:49 am
May 9th, 2021, 12:43 am
Just finished Fugitive Telemetry. Enjoyable read. Frankly, our Murderbot may be a descendent of Sam Spade, Mickey Spillane, or maybe he's just a smart-ass Hercule Poirot. His introspection is hilarious.

Please, Netflix, make it into a limited series.
May 9th, 2021, 12:43 am
May 23rd, 2023, 4:58 pm
Now why is it I've always read Murderbot as quasi-female? Right from the first book, my reading of its/her/his/their gender has been one of uncertainty, on Murderbot's part; although something mentioned in that first novel suggested to me an element of female physicality.
May 23rd, 2023, 4:58 pm
May 24th, 2023, 1:43 am
I've actually always read Murderbot as male - I have a really hard time not giving it male pronouns. I suspect this is due to obvious parallels with Robocop.
May 24th, 2023, 1:43 am
May 28th, 2023, 2:28 am
misty9 wrote:

Every author has his/her favorite catch phrases and they get a bit annoying if read back-to-back

Everytime I read the words "he/she is good people" I throw the book against the wall.
May 28th, 2023, 2:28 am