Jan 14th, 2017, 5:45 am
So I really enjoyed Cole's Immortals After Dark series and was wondering if anyone had other series that had similar vibes? Witty, contemporary, old myth references, but not just your basic werewolves and vampires. Don't get me wrong, I love a good werewolf and vampire in my romance, but there's just so many sometimes.
Jan 14th, 2017, 5:45 am
Jan 14th, 2017, 6:38 am
Two of Dana Marie Bell's series come to mind immediately.

Her True Destiny series is a modern look at the Norse mythos and we find out the truth beyond those old myths. Currently there are five books - 2 MF, 2 MMF and 1 MM with at least one more in the works. I highly recommend this if you're open to other than straight MF books.

In her Gray Court series she explores the myths behind the British concepts of the fairy world - Oberon, Titania, Puck, etc. in a modern context. I'll be honest here: the first book in the series is definitely the weakest but once you get beyond that the books are all excellent. Most of the six book series is MF but the 2nd one is MMF.

Dennis McKiernan did a fantastic non-romance fairy tales mash-up series back in the early 2000's called Once upon a... First book is Once Upon a Winter's Night, then Once Upon a Summer Morn, etc. Autumn Eve, Spring Morn, and Dreadful Time. Definitely worth a look there - these take place in an alternate world where Faery can be reached from mortal Earth.

If you don't mind Young Adult, then K M Shea's My Life at the Magical Being's Rehabalitation Center and the two follow-ups are great light reading. The books take place in Chicago and deal with mythological beings learning to adapt to modern mortal culture.

There's also Terry Spear's World of the Fae series along those same YA lines. I believe she's at seven books in the series now. Those are slightly darker and deal with the various sects of the fae and how they interact with mortals (without the mortals knowing, of course).

Patricia C. Wrede's Enchanted Forest Chronicles is a sort of spoof on the traditional fairytales and is wonderfully funny for both adults and kids who are tired of the same old fairy tales. There's four books plus some short stories and all take place in a fantasy world.

Lastly, if you'd like more of a historical vibe, try Minda Webber's trilogy The Reinvented Miss Bluebeard, The Reluctant Miss Van Helsing, and The Remarkable Miss Frankenstein. These aren't truly steampunk but they do take place in an alternate magic-laced Victorian England where their families' stories are real.

I hope you find something that interests you. :)

Oh, btw, if you want a different take on vampires, try Lynsay Sands' Argeneau series where the "vamps" are actually descended from survivors from Atlantis. Sands has a very deft way of weaving humor into her books and with 24 out already, there's plenty to choose from.
Jan 14th, 2017, 6:38 am

Reality can be beaten with enough imagination.

- Mark Twain
Jan 14th, 2017, 10:45 pm
Fantastic, thank you! A few of these sound really promising offhand. I'm a sucker for AU Victorian settings. The vampires from Atlantis seems interesting, I've never heard of someone making use of it in that fashion. And I do love well played humor.
Jan 14th, 2017, 10:45 pm
Mar 16th, 2017, 11:15 am
My favorites are The Godhunter series by Amy Sumida and the I Bring the Fire series by C. Gockel.

Happy reading :)
Mar 16th, 2017, 11:15 am
Apr 14th, 2020, 3:15 pm
Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter's series spans Greek/Roman mythology with some of the Celtic gods thrown in for good measure. Great series in my opinion.
Apr 14th, 2020, 3:15 pm
Jul 20th, 2023, 7:32 pm
Fizban wrote:Two of Dana Marie Bell's series come to mind immediately.

Her True Destiny series is a modern look at the Norse mythos and we find out the truth beyond those old myths. Currently there are five books - 2 MF, 2 MMF and 1 MM with at least one more in the works. I highly recommend this if you're open to other than straight MF books.

In her Gray Court series she explores the myths behind the British concepts of the fairy world - Oberon, Titania, Puck, etc. in a modern context. I'll be honest here: the first book in the series is definitely the weakest but once you get beyond that the books are all excellent. Most of the six book series is MF but the 2nd one is MMF.

Dennis McKiernan did a fantastic non-romance fairy tales mash-up series back in the early 2000's called Once upon a... First book is Once Upon a Winter's Night, then Once Upon a Summer Morn, etc. Autumn Eve, Spring Morn, and Dreadful Time. Definitely worth a look there - these take place in an alternate world where Faery can be reached from mortal Earth.

If you don't mind Young Adult, then K M Shea's My Life at the Magical Being's Rehabalitation Center and the two follow-ups are great light reading. The books take place in Chicago and deal with mythological beings learning to adapt to modern mortal culture.

There's also Terry Spear's World of the Fae series along those same YA lines. I believe she's at seven books in the series now. Those are slightly darker and deal with the various sects of the fae and how they interact with mortals (without the mortals knowing, of course).

Patricia C. Wrede's Enchanted Forest Chronicles is a sort of spoof on the traditional fairytales and is wonderfully funny for both adults and kids who are tired of the same old fairy tales. There's four books plus some short stories and all take place in a fantasy world.

Lastly, if you'd like more of a historical vibe, try Minda Webber's trilogy The Reinvented Miss Bluebeard, The Reluctant Miss Van Helsing, and The Remarkable Miss Frankenstein. These aren't truly steampunk but they do take place in an alternate magic-laced Victorian England where their families' stories are real.

I hope you find something that interests you. :)

Oh, btw, if you want a different take on vampires, try Lynsay Sands' Argeneau series where the "vamps" are actually descended from survivors from Atlantis. Sands has a very deft way of weaving humor into her books and with 24 out already, there's plenty to choose from.

Recommend lynsay sands heartily!
Jul 20th, 2023, 7:32 pm
Jul 20th, 2023, 7:33 pm
rowetheboat wrote:So I really enjoyed Cole's Immortals After Dark series and was wondering if anyone had other series that had similar vibes? Witty, contemporary, old myth references, but not just your basic werewolves and vampires. Don't get me wrong, I love a good werewolf and vampire in my romance, but there's just so many sometimes.

I like this series but she really makes her heroines sufffer sometimes phew!
Jul 20th, 2023, 7:33 pm