Oct 17th, 2013, 3:03 am
I was never fond of the whole older male younger female storyline until I read Kiss of Snow by Nalini Singh and fell in love with it . I still get more misses than hits when I read them but I know loner avoid them. So tell me do you love them, hate them , can take them or leave them and which ones did you love or hate?
Oct 17th, 2013, 3:03 am
Sep 20th, 2014, 9:52 am
Most of my romance reading happens in the Historical Romance category, and given how incredibly unbalanced male/female power levels are in the first place giving an additional advantage to the older guy is not really something I think would be interesting.

There are books (Judith McNaught comes to mind) where the heroine wins over the hero by being selfless and forgiving and so pure that she heals his wounded heart, but while I cut my teeth on romance with them, by now they have grown both incomprehensible and irritating. I search for equality in my romances these days, and a nubile young thing sweetly submissive to the dominant older male doesn't really appeal to me anymore. Especially given the general social conceptions of female beauty being tried to youth and inexperience, while men can be attractive regardless of looks or age. Older male/Younger female romances can be done well; but more often than not they read like father-daughter relationships (ie; caregiver and recipient) with an added amount of sex. Needless to say, this finds me mildly disturbed.

I'm far more interested in the gender-flipped version of age differences (For example, Pleasure Me by Monica Burns, which features a 12-year old difference between the hero and the older heroine), because they premise forces the story to explore how their characters are challenging the norm by falling in love. But I don't really see them all that often. :)
Sep 20th, 2014, 9:52 am
Sep 20th, 2014, 12:48 pm
I hate them. So much so that I often ask for spoilers before reading a book if I suspect it's a May-December romance.
I do however make an exception for pnrs - age has a lot less meaning if you live hundreds of years
Sep 20th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Sep 21st, 2014, 7:31 am
I totally agree with you canimargessor. Very well said.
Sep 21st, 2014, 7:31 am
Nov 17th, 2016, 8:43 am
Unless it's a paranormal romance featuring an immortal type and a regular (human) love interest or a time travel situation more than 10 years older is just not something that interests me very much.
Nov 17th, 2016, 8:43 am
Dec 14th, 2016, 3:52 pm
Aww. I do hope I'm not the only person who loves age gap romance. 10 years, 15 years. Twice the heroine's age is great for me too. I'm totally fine with them (okay, that's an understatement. I actually search for lists of them on goodreads.

I don't only look at age gap, per se. I take in the plot as well. Some of my most favorite books have much older males:

- All books in the Wrong Series by Jana Aston
- Ssshh...Gianna's side by Jettie Woodruff
- The wild side trilogy by RK Lilley.
Dec 14th, 2016, 3:52 pm
Dec 15th, 2016, 2:07 am
My best book for this kind of was : The Education series (17 and 31) (The Education of Sebastian, The Education of Caroline, and Semper Fi) by Jane Harvey-Berrick. That was ah~~~ mazing story. This book open my eyes of this genre and since then, I was looking more and more about this kind of book. Next was Finding Home by Bonnie Dee and Lauren Baker, although the age wasn't so much different (17 and 23) and Fallen from Grace by Laura Leone
Dec 15th, 2016, 2:07 am
Apr 1st, 2019, 2:06 am
I hate them. The guy is always really controlling and treats the girl she's some child and it gets really creepy.
Yes. Even kiss of snow. I read that book. The only good parts were Walker's side romance. The nightclub scene was so cringy (and manipulative and yup, controlling), I couldn't even.
Nalini's usually a good writer though. Heart of Obsidian is one of my all-time favorites
On the other hand, older female and younger male romances aren't so bad. Suddenly You by Lisa kleypas is really good. Or beard in mind by Penny Reid.
Apr 1st, 2019, 2:06 am
Sep 24th, 2019, 8:00 am
I agree with amissa, Jana Aston's Wrong series is really good and I have to say, I recently read The Kiss Theif by LJ Shen which is an 11 years age gap romance and it was good I had some issues almost at the end but if you also like a little mafia this is a really good book.

Personally Iove the D/s kind of relationship but only when it's inside the 'bedroom' and even if I don't actively search this trope I have found it to be really interesting and kind of sexy, full disclosure, I have a thing for Daddies (but not littles, that is just beyond my scope). I think as long as the h is not a doormat I'm ok with the age gap.
Sep 24th, 2019, 8:00 am
Oct 8th, 2019, 9:27 pm
Most of the I don't really think about it but then the books where it comes up for me are paranormals. The only time it kinda annoys me is when they do 1000+ years difference, the characters never seem to act like they've been around that long.
Oct 8th, 2019, 9:27 pm
Jan 27th, 2020, 8:11 pm
I secretly love them but sometimes I am ashamed that I love them haha.

But the Wrong series is so great!

I also recommend Act Your Age by Eve Dangerfield! That one is great
Jan 27th, 2020, 8:11 pm
Feb 2nd, 2020, 7:43 pm
If you like historical romances try These Old Shades by Georgette Heyer. Male lead is much older than female lead. He's kinda controlling, but he treats EVERYONE that way and not just her. You get some of his POV as well as hers, which I liked.
Feb 2nd, 2020, 7:43 pm
May 31st, 2020, 4:21 pm
Love them. One of my favorite ones are: The Doctor- Nikki Sloane ,Hush-Amanda Maxlyn,Even when you lie to me-Jessica Alcott.
May 31st, 2020, 4:21 pm