Dec 27th, 2016, 12:18 am
While I love YA series, I am barely hanging on waiting for these next releases. Anyone know of any other good series to read while I wait?

Addison Moore, Book 4 in Celestra Forever After.
I loved Celestra and the Countenace Series and flowed right into Forever after, but Crown of Ashes is taking to long.....

Jessica Miller, Book 5 of the Wanderers Series, Redemption, I need the book now!

Anything by C. L. Stone. I finished Book 5 of Scarab Beetle the day it came out in October and started begging for book 10 of Ghost Bird the next day. These series are addictive and so well written.

Cara Bertrand Sententia series took me by surprise and I have to wait until 2017 for Book 4, aghhh.

Maggie Hall, The conspiracy of us, book 3 is not due until July 18th and I am barely hanging on

And of Course Cassandra Clare, The Dark Artifices, book 2 is not out until May 23rd, but I knew that when I red the book, and I can go back and re-read all the Mortal Instruments, Infernal Devices and the Bane and Shadowhunter Academy books while I wait.

I think I need help,

Julie
Dec 27th, 2016, 12:18 am
Dec 27th, 2016, 5:29 am
I don't read any of those authors myself so I don't know if this will work for you but if you enjoy superhero books, you might check out R J Ross's Cape High series, which currently has 15 books out with another due out shortly. They irreverently poke fun at the whole villain/hero concept while being full of teen romance (strictly G-rated) and angst, plots by real supervillains, and basically just growing up.

Definitely a great series, especially since Ross started adding in vignette short stories after each main book is through which gives a lot of backstory she doesn't explore in the primary plots.

I also enjoy KM Shea, ED Baker, and Jessica Day George, none of whom get too 'dark' - their books are like eating a light croissant with just a smidge of chocolate in comparison to books like the HP franchise which I would liken to Beef Wellington which is heavier fare that is more robust and sophisticated. (BTW, the Ross books are more like having a pizza party - fun, tasty, and a bit indulgent).
Dec 27th, 2016, 5:29 am

Reality can be beaten with enough imagination.

- Mark Twain
Mar 7th, 2017, 11:59 am
Thanks for the hints!!!!

I enjoyed the Cape High Series alot, and now I have another series that I am hanging on for.

I read the other three authors and really enjoyed the fairy tale angle, it was something I had not dipped into much.

I have way too much time on my hands right now, so still on the hunt for new authors or series to read.

Think I am going to try for series that are already completed, then there is no agonizing wait for the next book, lol

Thanks for responding though, it was fun reading someone elses selections.

Julie
Mar 7th, 2017, 11:59 am
Mar 7th, 2017, 4:20 pm
At least with Ross you don't have to wait very long - she tends to release a new book about every 3-4 months - the last of which just came out.

If you want something completed and don't mind reading older stuff, check out Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising series (5 books). It was written in and set in the 70s and has strong Arthurian ties.

There's also Chris Colfer's The Land of Stories (3 books). For Epic YA fantasy, I highly recommend David Eddings' Belgariad and Mallorean books (12 in total including the two prequels) which are more like Lord of the Rings in that each five-book pentalogy is really one long epic story.

Diana Wynne Jones wrote quite a few YA novels, both in series and in standalones and is definitely worth checking out for her Chrestomanci and Howl's Moving Castle series alone.

Diane Duane is still writing on her Young Wizards series but there's plenty to read there and you can even read both the original versions (written in the 80s) of the first few books to compare to her millenial versions that she revised to bring them more in line with current technologies and societal norms.

And Jessica Day George's Castle Glower series final book is being released this month so there's another completed series for you. Patricia C. Wrede's Enchanted Forest Chronicles are always good for a few laughs as she pokes fun at fairy tale stereotypes.

Oh, and if you want to check out a few classic sci-fi authors, you might try H. Beam Piper and E.E. "Doc" Smith both of whom wrote back in the 40s to the 60s so you'll get plenty of "space opera" male-oriented cheese in addition to some excellent story-telling. Not strictly YA but close enough given the era they were writing in. And I just remembered: check out Isaac Aasimov's Lucky Starr YA sci-fi series, which he originally released under a pen name. The "science" in those books will make you giggle and make you appreciate the times we live in even more. :lol:
Mar 7th, 2017, 4:20 pm

Reality can be beaten with enough imagination.

- Mark Twain