Jan 25th, 2014, 2:23 am
Although it is often the artist who receives the praise, a good story can't be beat.
So who are your favorite comic book writers?
Some of mine are Steve Gerber (loved his Howard the Duck and Man-Thing) Neil Gaiman, Steve Englehart and Alan Moore - though there are plenty of others who have moved me.
Jan 25th, 2014, 2:23 am
Jan 26th, 2014, 1:04 am
Jack Kirby just for the sheer cosmic scale of his imagination (in the 60' and mid 70's, after that his writing deteriorated) and he still can't be beaten for his double splash page art work. Comics for me have always been about the writing, great art can't save slapdash and just plain crappy script.

Geoff Johns does a pretty good story: his Blackest Day run was terrific. I would also have to add Eric Powell (The Goon) to the list as well.
Jan 26th, 2014, 1:04 am
Apr 21st, 2014, 9:08 pm
I like Mark Waid and Grant Morrison. I loved (purposeful past tense) Gaiman, but these days he just seems like a pale shadow of himself. I don't tell anyone IRL that I feel like that because he seems to be almost universally worshipped.

Morrison's JLA, Waid's FF, old school sandman... those were part of what my husband used to hook me into comics.

I'd also say the writing team for Xstatix was pretty fun too.
Apr 21st, 2014, 9:08 pm

I'm AFK at the moment, unable to refresh my links.

Feel free to request a new link for my posts in book requests!
May 7th, 2014, 8:42 pm
I really love Joe Hill. His Locke & Key ruined my life.
May 7th, 2014, 8:42 pm
May 13th, 2014, 9:07 am
Brian K. Vaughn, I think is one of the top guys out there. His Y The Last Man should be required reading of everyone. Ex Machina is awesome, and I'm currently reading his digital only comic "The Private Eye".

I'll read anything by him. Tried getting into SAGA but the artwork isn't something I'm a fan of. Might try it again though.
May 13th, 2014, 9:07 am
Aug 10th, 2014, 11:22 pm
Shout out Garth Ennis
Aug 10th, 2014, 11:22 pm
May 24th, 2018, 5:25 pm
Len Wein and Marv Wolfman are two of my favourites.
Got to mention:
Roger Stern
Archie Goodwin
Bob Haney
Steve Englhart
May 24th, 2018, 5:25 pm
May 15th, 2021, 10:46 pm
If I have to choose two current runs of Marvel comics that are worth buying, they are;

The Immortal Hulk (sadly finishing with the 50th issue in a few months) and Thor Vol. 6 which started in 2020 and is still ongoing.
May 15th, 2021, 10:46 pm
Jun 30th, 2023, 2:50 pm
Alan Moore, Mike Mignola, Frank Miller, Neil Gaiman, Ed Brubaker, Dave McKean, David Mack, Alejandro Jodorowsky, Bill Sienkiewicz, David Mazzucchelli, among many others.
Jun 30th, 2023, 2:50 pm

I was in the beginning and shall be forever. The first and the last. The world come full circle. I am time, the destroyer. I was the wind and the stars before this. Before planets. Before heaven and hell. And when all is done, I will be wind again, to blow this world as dust back into endless space.