Guides for Windows
Jan 3rd, 2013, 5:14 pm
There is a trick which allows users to gain access to the phone's magnetometer and use it as a compass without the need for installing an external app.

Here's how it's done:

Go into Diagnosis(call ##634#) and enter *#0*# and press Compass near the bottom right of the screen.

There, you have a built-in compass app!

It seems this trick also works on NoDo, just that it has a lower framerate and tends to lag a lot whereas on Mango is perfectly smooth.

If it doesn't work, you may need to re-calibrate your compass.

Refer to the video on how to do it:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP3d00Hr14o

I know it's an iPhone in the video, but just follow the same figure 8 motion with the compass activated. It should work after you do it.

For those on Mango(WP7.5), it is highly recommended that you uninstall your Diagnosis app and re-install it to get the latest version, Diagnosis_DU ver0628

There are reports that this does not work on HTC Devices. As of now, I can only confirm that it works on Samsung Omnia 7. More testers are welcome.

Unsure if this works on WP8.
Jan 3rd, 2013, 5:14 pm
Jan 3rd, 2013, 10:39 pm
which device? O7? not all device have this option...
Jan 3rd, 2013, 10:39 pm
Jan 5th, 2013, 3:26 am
I did mention that it works on Omnia 7. Not sure about others.

This would be useful for first gen devices as users do not need to install a separate app, which takes up space on the non-expandable storage.
Jan 5th, 2013, 3:26 am
Feb 10th, 2015, 8:01 am
This does not work all the time, depending on the type of update the manufacturers seed out, especially if it's region specific.
Feb 10th, 2015, 8:01 am