Describe the kind of app you're looking for, or a problem you need an app to solve. We will help you find it!
Dec 3rd, 2015, 5:17 pm
I've been using the Kindle app to read ebooks on my tablet, but there's a couple of problems with it that are annoying me enough that I'd like to try something else. First problem is that covers don't always show up properly. It's a little thing, but it's a little thing that keeps on happening over and over again. The second problem is that collections just don't work. Most of the time, books won't save in collections, and those that do, refuse to be sorted into any sort of order. This mostly seems to be a problem with sideloaded books. Which is about 98% of my library.

So. What I'm looking for is an android ebook reader with the following requirements:
1: It needs to allow me to either download or browse folders for new cover images.
2: It needs to let me sort books into collections/sets/shelves/series/whatever so that when I'm on the bus with no wifi, I don't have to drag my phone out and go searching the net to find the name of the next book in a series.
3: It needs to be compatible with .mobi files. I really don't want to have to spend a day converting all my mobi books to epub. I will if I have to, but it's a last resort.

I've tried a couple of apps like Moon+, Aldiko, UB, Cool Reader and Mantano, but I haven't found one that fulfils all three of my requirements. So I'd greatly appreciate it if you could help me!
Dec 3rd, 2015, 5:17 pm
Dec 5th, 2015, 8:46 pm
I spent a long time looking for an ebook reader for Android with all these requirements and some more. But to date have not found any.
To successfully achieve all of them I used / use Calibre for PC to edit my books, I organize everything on the gauge, then choose guardalos by Tag's - Series - No. in the series - Name.
Then use the Moon + Reader.
This is the only way I found Until now. Whit this (a lot of work if the files that you have made are not properly categorized) can you organized library in any ereader.
Dec 5th, 2015, 8:46 pm
Dec 5th, 2015, 9:07 pm
In my travels, I have not found anything more well-rounded and thorough than Moon+ Pro for Android. Even the iOS users can be found on the Web drooling over this great app. Aldiko, Universal Book Reader, Cool Reader, Mantano and Calibre are decent readers in their own right, but the majority only read PDF or epub formats with more than half the options Moon+ offers. A couple of these apps listed here have better sorting and organizing options for a virtual library, but only Moon+ has support for cloud server storage that I know. As it stands, I'd say Moon+ Pro is your app of choice until the others ramp up their feature sets. As of note, Moon+ Pro usually goes on sale for 50% off in December, which should be any day now, if it hasn't already. You can read my review of Moon+ by clicking on the links below.

Moon+ Reader Pro
Dec 5th, 2015, 9:07 pm
Dec 6th, 2015, 12:35 am
Ehhhh I've been giving Moon+ a try, but my main problem there is the series sorting. All my series in Calibre are sorted using the Series field, and that data doesn't seem to be transferred over. I guess I need to tag them instead.
Dec 6th, 2015, 12:35 am
Apr 27th, 2017, 10:39 am
I also second a previous post about using Calibre on PC to edit the book covers, you can also use it to convert it to another format.

I basically found Aldiko and FBreader to suit all my needs.
Apr 27th, 2017, 10:39 am
Aug 10th, 2017, 5:43 am
Calibre Companion plus Moon Pro. Is the perfect combination, and yes, CC does have series sorting
Aug 10th, 2017, 5:43 am
Aug 28th, 2017, 2:13 am
antonf wrote:Calibre Companion plus Moon Pro. Is the perfect combination, and yes, CC does have series sorting

Would agree :thumbup:
Aug 28th, 2017, 2:13 am
May 11th, 2021, 10:19 pm
Try "Lea Reader" for epub books (it even supports epub3!

For pdf try "Foxit Reader" or "MuPDF"

For "two" page layout in pdf try eBookDroid!
May 11th, 2021, 10:19 pm
May 11th, 2021, 11:41 pm
I use Moon Reader. I keep my books in a folder, titled "Books" on the SD micro in my tablet. I file them by author last name, first name. Within that author folder, if author has different series, then by main protagonist name or series name. They are not sorted by series order but alphabetically. If series order is important, rename books when you file them with a 1, 2, etc.

The only issue I have with Moon Reader is the lack of exporting book information in an excel or comma delimited file. It has an export but having lost my information in the past, there is no way to combine book data over several devices. If anyone also desires this fuction, please email developer.

With little "flexability", I think Moon will work for you.
May 11th, 2021, 11:41 pm