Apr 17th, 2020, 11:53 pm
This is an older title, I believe. Might be as old as the 90s, though I'm not sure.

As I recall, the hero makes a vow to marry the next woman he meets after being jilted by his fiancee. Someone persuades him to propose to a woman who sings at a local musical hall. He goes to meet her and finds she's genteel but impoverished and desperate to earn money to save her younger brother, who is heir to a fortune but is sick and under the care of a guardian whom she fears will kill her brother for the money. He marries her and a few days later goes to rescue the boy, whom he finds is being slowly poisoned to death.

While he's gone, she's still singing and the ton is flocking to hear her as they faked a love connection for him to save face. Every night before he left, she'd sing a special song directly to his box and he'd drop a flower to her. Since he left, his father has carried on their tradition, showing his support for their marriage. He returns with the boy late, having had to hold up to allow him to heal enough to survive the journey.

That's all I definitely remember from that book. Hopefully it will spark some memories.
Apr 17th, 2020, 11:53 pm

Reality can be beaten with enough imagination.

- Mark Twain