Jan 3rd, 2014, 7:51 pm
Been plagued with a nagging memory of a (possible) series, in the sci-fi-fantasy genre, that begins (I think) with a small battle in a wooded area; and one person or a group of the people who was/were taking part in that battle end up accidentally coming upon a portal into another world. They'd not known there WERE portals or alternate worlds.

I dimly recollect that in this alternate world, which begins to be fleshed out in the first (and only?) book (of the series?) magic exists. One or more of the people who accidentally end up there turn out slowly to acquire magic themselves. Oh, and there were dragons, which were key in battle wins on the protagonists' side. And there was something about a prominent role by dolphins, whales, or some such.

Anyone have any ideas what this series is and the author? I read it originally several years ago.
Jan 3rd, 2014, 7:51 pm
Jan 18th, 2014, 9:39 pm
Bump
Jan 18th, 2014, 9:39 pm
Jan 31st, 2014, 9:08 pm
Could it be one of Andre Norton's Witch Worlds? that's really reaching back there... There are so many fantasy/SF that have that have those details...
Jan 31st, 2014, 9:08 pm
Feb 3rd, 2014, 7:22 am
Appreciate your suggestion, but I don't think that's it.
Feb 3rd, 2014, 7:22 am
Feb 3rd, 2014, 8:38 pm
If there were "dolphins, whales" then I can think of Douglas Adam's series. Have a look at wikipedia en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Adams
Feb 3rd, 2014, 8:38 pm
Feb 18th, 2014, 11:19 pm
I FOUND IT!!

Oh, what a great feeling that is. So… the name of the series is Multiverse; and it's written by David Weber and Linda Evans. Only two books have been written in the series so far.

Book I, which is the one that was niggling at the back of my mind, is Hell's Gate.
Book 2, Hell Hath No Fury, I obtained today and have created a release to share here.

I understand Book 3 is in the works. :D
Feb 18th, 2014, 11:19 pm