Best of... topics from 2013. Section is locked yearly after announcing best of 2013 awards.
Apr 26th, 2013, 4:49 pm
So, I tried about 50 TV streaming apps (ok, maybe a slight exaggeration :p ) and was universally completely unimpressed with them. Streams were crap quality, hardly any if at all good channels. The main purpose of these apps appeared to be bombarding the user with notifications (ads) and in-app ads. They were complete garbage.

So I was pretty much thinking there's no such thing as a good Android TV App ... until me old mate told me about this:
Code: Select allhttps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mdc.ustv&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5tZGMudXN0diJd

I was blown away: app is high quality (it looks superb), streaming quality is excellent, channels are numerous and high quality (HBO, Showtime, Fox etc and many, many more).

Supposedly the free version has ads but AdAway took care of them all so I don't know how bad they are.

Free version is fully functional: if you pay the princely cost of $1.99/year (yes, year) you get the ability to record TV streams for later viewing and supposedly better battery life though I didn't test this. The app uses H/W video decoding so battery life is great in free version in any case I found.

Well worth a look IMO!
Apr 26th, 2013, 4:49 pm

Can't search? Google: site:mobilism.org <query> (Tip: filter by date)
Mar 3rd, 2022, 9:41 am
Got any new recommendations?
Mar 3rd, 2022, 9:41 am