Feedback or requests for help with the site.
Jun 3rd, 2021, 12:17 am
#8664902 by Heepcak
I just tried using the Premium downloader (of which I am a subscriber) and the files that downloaded didn't have the usual .epub or .mobi extensions. My Windows 10 just read them as "file." Has anyone else had this issue? And is it a downloader issue or is there some kind of 'ware on my PC that's stripping out the extensions?
Jun 3rd, 2021, 12:17 am
Jun 3rd, 2021, 8:18 am
Heepcak wrote:I just tried using the Premium downloader (of which I am a subscriber) and the files that downloaded didn't have the usual .epub or .mobi extensions. My Windows 10 just read them as "file." Has anyone else had this issue? And is it a downloader issue or is there some kind of 'ware on my PC that's stripping out the extensions?

There's nothing wrong with your PC, this glitch usually means that the OP inadvertently left an apostrophe or some other symbol in the filename. You can fix the problem yourself by adding the extension manually, but if you don't mind please contact the poster and warn them, you will be helping solve the problem for all premium users. The solution for the OP is as simple as renaming the file in the filehost to remove the apostrophe.
Jun 3rd, 2021, 8:18 am
Dec 13th, 2021, 7:08 am
I've been getting quite a number of downloads like this for the past couple of months. I came here to see if anyone else was getting the same.
Dec 13th, 2021, 7:08 am
Dec 29th, 2021, 2:58 am
merry60 wrote:There's nothing wrong with your PC, this glitch usually means that the OP inadvertently left an apostrophe or some other symbol in the filename. You can fix the problem yourself by adding the extension manually, but if you don't mind please contact the poster and warn them, you will be helping solve the problem for all premium users. The solution for the OP is as simple as renaming the file in the filehost to remove the apostrophe.

I've had this happen with dropgalaxy.vip links. When the other links are dead (and they usually are), I always figured that these no-file-type files were a similar thing because they weren't readable in Calibre. To test this out, I just changed the file type to epub and opened it, I could read the contents (it's html code). Saving in that format (html) and opening that file with a browser gets a 'file not found' page. Here's the page generated by one of the non-epub files <https://dropgalaxy.vip/827-what-is-insurance-coverage.html>
Dec 29th, 2021, 2:58 am
Dec 29th, 2021, 9:09 am
usb47 wrote:
merry60 wrote:There's nothing wrong with your PC, this glitch usually means that the OP inadvertently left an apostrophe or some other symbol in the filename. You can fix the problem yourself by adding the extension manually, but if you don't mind please contact the poster and warn them, you will be helping solve the problem for all premium users. The solution for the OP is as simple as renaming the file in the filehost to remove the apostrophe.

I've had this happen with dropgalaxy.vip links. When the other links are dead (and they usually are), I always figured that these no-file-type files were a similar thing because they weren't readable in Calibre. To test this out, I just changed the file type to epub and opened it, I could read the contents (it's html code). Saving in that format (html) and opening that file with a browser gets a 'file not found' page. Here's the page generated by one of the non-epub files <https://dropgalaxy.vip/827-what-is-insurance-coverage.html>

This is a different issue, it happens only with Dropgalaxy and only when the link is dead. Check the link manually to confirm that it is no longer working, and avoid downloading Dropgalaxy's fake file.
Dec 29th, 2021, 9:09 am
Jul 11th, 2023, 12:47 am
Downloading a file with no extension has happened to me multiple times. I have tried adding *.epub (which is the format the header says the book has), and I have also tried adding *.zip, but neither works. Must I, in every case, try to contact the poster or is there a general "fix" I can apply? Note: I use the premium downloader wherever possible.
Jul 11th, 2023, 12:47 am
Jul 12th, 2023, 4:19 pm
Kerpookie wrote:Downloading a file with no extension has happened to me multiple times. I have tried adding *.epub (which is the format the header says the book has), and I have also tried adding *.zip, but neither works. Must I, in every case, try to contact the poster or is there a general "fix" I can apply? Note: I use the premium downloader wherever possible.

Can you show me an example (a link) for which this happens?
Jul 12th, 2023, 4:19 pm
Mar 22nd, 2024, 7:58 pm
I’ve just had this issue with this post -link removed by moderator I used the premium link.

Adding epub and zip and rar to the file did nothing
Mar 22nd, 2024, 7:58 pm
Mar 22nd, 2024, 8:11 pm
kielle wrote:I’ve just had this issue with this post -link removed by moderator I used the premium link.

Adding epub and zip and rar to the file did nothing

This is also a different issue and is related to dropgalaxy only.

For some reason, when the original file has been removed and our premium downloader requests it, dropgalaxy sends a 'dummy' file that doesn't open. Usually I would tell you to contact the original poster by clicking the "Reload" button, but since he's inactive, I've moved the post to our Expired area so anyone else can repost a new copy of the book. You can either wait to see if someone reposts it or you can place a request for it in our Request Forum.
Mar 22nd, 2024, 8:11 pm

Reality can be beaten with enough imagination.

- Mark Twain