Feedback or requests for help with the site.
Aug 8th, 2023, 8:32 am
Hi folks,

Humble request for anyone who knows more than me to advise. I use linux mint cinnamon and am a premium member. A few months ago the blue download button stopped working for all downloads. I cannot for the life of me get this operable again. I can only think an update to cinnamon has caused this. I love this site and am happy to donate money to keep it all going but would love to have the convenience of premium download again. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Anyone else experienced this issue?
Every best wish,
alphacashew.
Aug 8th, 2023, 8:32 am
Aug 8th, 2023, 10:36 pm
Do you have the DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials plugin in your browser? It causes exactly the issue you're describing.
Aug 8th, 2023, 10:36 pm
Aug 8th, 2023, 10:58 pm
I do have that extension. I've removed it and restarted the laptop but the problem persists. I'm really grateful for your suggestion though and thanks for taking the time to respond. This is quite the mystery, for me at least.
Aug 8th, 2023, 10:58 pm
Aug 9th, 2023, 8:46 pm
I suspect you have not removed the extension completely. Everyone who has had this issue had it because of DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials, there haven't been any cases of it being caused by anything else. You could also try using a different browser and see what happens - firefox, brave, opera, etc.
Aug 9th, 2023, 8:46 pm
Aug 9th, 2023, 9:11 pm
Roghto, I'll look into complete and total removal of the extension now to check if any remnants are lurking on my system. I've tried Vivaldi, Brave and Firefox browsers and they all return the same negative result. Hopefully this will be a fix and my spell in download purgatory will be at an end. I'll keep you posted. Many thanks for your aid.
Aug 9th, 2023, 9:11 pm
Aug 10th, 2023, 7:52 pm
I've had a look on synaptic manager and can't see anything that would be related to Duck Duck Go privacy essentials. I attempted a purge via the terminal which returned: sudo apt-get purge ddgr
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package 'ddgr' is not installed, so not removed
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.
Aug 10th, 2023, 7:52 pm
Aug 10th, 2023, 10:00 pm
ddgr is a commandline utility to search DuckDuckGo from your terminal, it's not what would have been added to your browser. Try going to your browser and where you would normally enter the URL entering: chrome://extensions/ (I'm assuming you're on Chrome), this will bring up the extensions you have installed on the browser.
Aug 10th, 2023, 10:00 pm
Aug 10th, 2023, 10:26 pm
Right, I'll try that and check back. Thank you for your help and patience,
Aug 10th, 2023, 10:26 pm
Aug 10th, 2023, 10:32 pm
Ah, I see where that leads. I have already removed the extension from there. I wasn't sure if there was any remnant of it lurking in the bowels of the system which is why I also checked on synaptic manager and tried the purge via terminal. I am no authority on linux though.
Aug 10th, 2023, 10:32 pm
Aug 11th, 2023, 1:22 pm
Ha! It's fixed.

Thanks for your input, the culprit was the browser settings in ad blocker and tracking prevention. I've turned them off and the magic blue button is now operable.

It's been the bane of my life for months and I've tried various things all with the same negative outcomes. You are a superstar, a thousand blessings on your house.

Thank you Disk4mat for taking the trouble to lend me a hand, very much appreciated.

Every best wish,
alphacashew.
Aug 11th, 2023, 1:22 pm
Aug 12th, 2023, 1:00 am
Glad you figured it out! :)
Aug 12th, 2023, 1:00 am