Feedback or requests for help with the site.
Dec 20th, 2014, 6:45 am
I visited a download page on this site that included two links to the material I was interested in. Both downloaded the same small (@350kb) .exe file to my computer, slyly disguised as an ".epub.exe" file in Explorer. I left them unclicked and wrote a comment on the page indicating my suspicion that it/they was/were malware.

But is there a central dropoff on the site for such intimations of malware, or worse? I can't find one in the forum lists, and there doesn't seem to be any way to contact admins if one isn't currently online. I don't want to paste the suspected page address here, unless requested, since I could of course be wrong.

Awaiting advice or a sense of the arena...
Dec 20th, 2014, 6:45 am
Dec 29th, 2014, 10:34 pm
Ebook links from this site are always with either a recognized ebook extension (.epub, .mobi, etc), or they're zipped into a file such as .rar, .7z. Some of the download sites try to make you download their "download accelerators" which as .exe files -- it's a wrapper that they put around your download and will add browser extensions and adware and possibly malware. i suspect that's what happened in your case. there are explanations in the ebooks section on which boxes for each download provider need to be unchecked to avoid this.

in general, always check that the file isn't a .exe before downloading, and cancel the download before it starts if the download says it will be a .exe. as of right now, all the download providers have a way of avoiding the .exe wrappers. can't guarantee that will continue to be the case, and sometimes it takes some trial and error to avoid the executables.

merry60 wrote:And please check out this topic: .exe or Virus warning after downloading an app, ebook etc.
Dec 29th, 2014, 10:34 pm
Dec 30th, 2014, 1:28 am
Thanks, gingery, for that clear explanation of what happens on the DL side of things.
Dec 30th, 2014, 1:28 am
Mar 29th, 2024, 11:47 am
Just an fyi at this point. I've recently had several epub links that directed me to sites that tell me to disable adblocker & also try to install malware. Site instructions for mobilism explicitly rightly tell us NOT to disable adblocker software. Think you may have some bad actors signing up for accounts. Most recent example - the epub title "means of control". Both sites listed tell you to disable adblocker & at least one of them also tries to install malware - variation on the good old "please update adobe" scam from years ago. :)
Mar 29th, 2024, 11:47 am