86%
no 2
10%
wait till it's unlocked 1
5%
Total votes : 21
Mar 16th, 2011, 6:40 am
Hey everyone
At the moment i have a (rooted/s-off) HTC desire, and while its a nice phone, im looking for something more up-to-date. Anyways the motorola Atrix seems to have the best specs, and its NextG compatible, which i need. However, it has a locked bootloader. no MIUI or Cyanogenmod here. Do you think its worth getting regardless? opinions on bootloader getting cracked?
Mar 16th, 2011, 6:40 am
Mar 19th, 2011, 10:13 pm
March 17th 2011 I was the first one at my local bell store and got the Atrix with the labtop dock. Brought it home, played around with it and thought it was the BEST. I used the labtop dock and noticed that it you were able to stretch the phone's screen to any size, that was pretty cool. But then I also noticed that when you use any of the apps on the phone through the dock it SEVERELY impedes the performance of the Atrix. I loaded Angry Birds and found that it had a hard time running it, even if the mirrored screen was skewed to a smaller size. I then noticed that Motorola made NO effort to offer an "App killer", thus 70% of the phone's processor was focused on running almost ALL the apps available on the phone in the background. After I finally got App Killer Pro on the phone, I was able to kill SOME of the apps. But after I opened a SINGLE game application, I noticed there were TONS of apps running in the background. This frustrated me to no end, the processor's speed was the same if not a little worse than other smartphones. I ran a few benchmarks on the Atrix and found that it only slightly came out on-top compared to other smartphones (Galaxy S's, HTC's etc..) in performance. But if you compare graphics, thats a whole different subject.
At first glance, if you haven't had a smartphone (with good display such as Galaxy S's or others), you wouldn't be able to tell whether the display was good or not. But after I took my brothers phone (Galaxy S Vibrant) and compared them side by side, I found that the display on the Atrix was TERRIBLE!! I couldn't believe how bad the display was on this phone. As a test, I loaded a downloaded HDTV xVID version of Simpsons onto the Atrix and my brother (with his Vibrant) STREAMED the same episode of Simpsons on his phone. Right away you could tell that the Atrix's display was grayish and horrible looking. Sure, the picture was KIND of clear, but nowhere clear enough to justify horrible picture. The Vibrant, although streaming from a website, still produced a better picture than the Atrix. In a second test we loaded the Vibrant with the HDTV xVID version and found that it was both CLEAR and had a beautifully colourful picture. For example, the skin colour of the Simpsons were GLOWING with bright yellow tones, whereas the Atrix produced a brown-ish colour of yellow. I was shocked. Perhaps the camera is good on the Atrix atleast? Nope. Not at all, the camera shoots poor video and captures very poor pictures. The flash only makes it WORSE.

Suppose you don't mind not having FULL "dual-core" processor speeds, and you don't mind a terrible camera or not having a good display (of which you'll be looking at for 90% of the phones usage), and you say that the Atrix has the cool labtop dock feature which NO other smartphone has. That's hardly a good argument. I bought the labtop dock for a whopping $329.95 (plus tax, which totaled to about $355.26 in Canada). In comparison, you could get a brand new labtop for that much with more than TRIPLE the computing power of the Atrix. But lets set that aside, and look at the labtop dock. ALL it does, is mirror the Atrix's screen and allows you to browse the internet without viewing through the mirrored screen. THAT'S IT. The dock has 2 USB ports, but thats ONLY for mouse and keyboard. You cant plug another cellphone device into it, you cant plug a USB Stick into it. You cant do ANYTHING with it.

Overall, the Atrix was a HORRIBLE purchase. The morning after I bought it brought it back as soon as I could, due to the fact that contracts are bound after 24 hours. Got $508.45 back from the $564.95 I paid for the Atrix and walked away with a Vibrant (a MUCH better phone, period).
Mar 19th, 2011, 10:13 pm
Mar 29th, 2011, 10:27 am
sorry dude, I will not agree with you....I bought one from usa to portugal =)...and i'm very happy with this buy. I already have am nexus s and hd2 and g2 ....and the atrix its better......on htc the sense is better
Mar 29th, 2011, 10:27 am
Nov 11th, 2011, 5:44 pm
The Atrix is my second android phone. I had a Samsung Captivate previously, then my daughter decided I should have some bath-time fun. :(
Lesson Learned.
Short version of the story is.....I fixed my Samsung-remove the battery, & Sim/SD cards then throw your phone into a sack of rice and leave it for at least 24 hours-and now am seriously considering going back to it.
The Atrix lags rarely, it is really pretty fast. But has serious sound quality issues-my Atrix currently only plays sound on speaker for incoming calls. And there are many websites detailing similar sound issues. Motorola says it is aware and will issue updates but fails to specify when the fix is coming & whether it is even directed at the sound issues.
Camera works well, but not as good as the Captivate. Blurs the photos easier, but generally is very good.
Video works well too. Seriously? It's a phone that has a built in camcorder-HD no less. Gimme a break! How often do you really need to be surfing the web, talking to someone, texting another, and taking some video all the while?
Display is noticably lesser quality than the Captivate. But going from a Super AMOLED I expected that.
The UI is not as convenient either. There is no Wi-Fi quick access like on the drawer of the Samsung. I missed that.
Native Apps/widgets are lacking as well.
Overall I am disappointed in Motorola as I think of them as a quality manufacturer.

Overall this phone is supposed to be a phone/tablet/laptop/HD media device. Awesome concept. I really liked the laptop dock, but $300+ is more than I am willing to spend even if I can return it. The concepts this phone tries to emulate are very forward thinking but need the wrinkles ironed out before releasing to the public. We tend to gripe a lot. Loudly sometimes too.
So in my summation, I am lucky I only spent $70(+2yr contract) for this phone as I see it as a unfinished prototype. It is a great phone, but it cannot do everything it says as well as it says it can.
And NO I would not recommend it to others.
Nov 11th, 2011, 5:44 pm