May 1st, 2022, 12:45 pm
windsor wrote:Hi Lotse
You can make .QCT satellite maps from Google Earth or Bing satelite using MOBAC to download the area you want, as an OZI map, then use Global mapper to convert to a geotiff to import into Memory Map.

Can someone provide some detailed instructions on how to do this? When I looked into this a few years back I seem to remember there were all sorts of unknowns involved, such as the size of the area to download, scaling/zoom to use, adjusting co-ordinate reference frame, map calibration etc.
May 1st, 2022, 12:45 pm
May 1st, 2022, 12:50 pm
You can make .QCT satellite maps from Google Earth or Bing satelite using MOBAC to download the area you want, as an OZI map, then use Global mapper to convert to a geotiff to import into Memory Map.

FULLY aware this can be done BUT the image file sizes are huge and you have to limit the area as if it is to big it is inaccurate for the purposes of navigation... I found 15x15km was the best compromise due to this...

The original images are ok for what I need them for hence asking... More upto date for small areas I already produce myself..
May 1st, 2022, 12:50 pm

Proudowner 106 PDA's Psion, Palm, Symbo, WinMo & Android.12GPS's!
May 1st, 2022, 1:15 pm
wappa wrote:

Can someone provide some detailed instructions on how to do this? When I looked into this a few years back I seem to remember there were all sorts of unknowns involved, such as the size of the area to download, scaling/zoom to use, adjusting co-ordinate reference frame, map calibration etc.

The quickest and simpliest way is the following..

generate the map you want in Mobac... Choose ONE scale setting not multiple (it will not work otherwise) So for HIGH detail I found scale 17 or 16 is perfect(best for UK 25k maps) and medium 14(perfect for uk 50k) is good. Make sure you are creating for Oziexplorer.

Then make sure you have Paint.net installed(free from their site) Open the PNG file for the map you create it the app (depending on the size it can be very slow to open and save) now choose save as (over write original file) you will get a box popup only change the Bit depth nothing more. change to 8bit and then choose ok... Now close the app..

Next download OziMapConverter(latest was 3.34) extract files to a folder of your choice(there should be two) and then click the exe file...

A new box opens
UNTICK EVERYTHING then tick the "for fugawi" box.. click the select files and convert box and locate the .map for the map you created. you will get a message saying something like "complete" now close the app.

In the newly created map folder you can delete the .map file.

Now open Memory map

Click on "MAP" then "map list"

now click on "refresh maplist"

Click "add folder" than add the folder for the created map then click ok
once done in the ,maplist box use the search and search for the name of the newly added map... Click on it and it will import the map ready for use...... Remove the folder you added when you refreshed the map list as not need there any more.

Now you have a newly created map in memory map...

This is the method I have been using for around 4 years and has never failed me..

You do have to be careful of the area you want to cover and I found 15kmx15km was perfect and completely accurate. and you could do up to 25kmx25km but anything after that would be seriously off but as much as 200meters...

Hope this helps you and any one else..

regards
Lohtse
May 1st, 2022, 1:15 pm

Proudowner 106 PDA's Psion, Palm, Symbo, WinMo & Android.12GPS's!
May 11th, 2022, 8:52 pm
Thanks very much Lohtse, I'll give it a try. Aerial maps would be very useful for forest coastal walks. Reminds me of when I downloaded jnx files from Garmin Birds Eye when it was free. The area I wanted was covered with cloud and when I went back again another time the imagery was the same, on the third visit it was no longer free so I gave up.
May 11th, 2022, 8:52 pm